BLS or CUNY 2016 Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
IsraBakar

New

BLS or CUNY 2016

Post by IsraBakar » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:26 pm

Hey guys! I am a URM with 3.0 and 155 LSAT. I got into my top two choices and I'm kind of stuck deciding where to go? Help?
All aid is coming from loans and grants. Should I go with BLS and worry about debt later or should I go with CUNY even if it means, it will be harder to find a job after law school?
Seems like either way, money is gonna be an issue later.. :(

nickb285

Silver

Re: BLS or CUNY 2016

Post by nickb285 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:34 pm

Last edited by nickb285 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:55 pm

IsraBakar wrote:Hey guys! I am a URM with 3.0 and 155 LSAT. I got into my top two choices and I'm kind of stuck deciding where to go? Help?
All aid is coming from loans and grants. Should I go with BLS and worry about debt later or should I go with CUNY even if it means, it will be harder to find a job after law school?
Money doesn't have to be an issue later if you RETAKE and kill the LSAT. What type of URM are you?

IsraBakar

New

Post by IsraBakar » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:05 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:
IsraBakar wrote:Hey guys! I am a URM with 3.0 and 155 LSAT. I got into my top two choices and I'm kind of stuck deciding where to go? Help?
Money doesn't have to be an issue later if you RETAKE and kill the LSAT. What type of URM are you?
Racial minority & Queer.

untar614

Silver

Post by untar614 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:12 pm

IsraBakar wrote:
PRgradBYU wrote:
Racial minority & Queer.
Just speculation based on ur name, but be sure your race is actually treated as URM. Traditionally, the ones that are given this distinction are Native Americans/Alaskan Natives, African Americans/Blacks, Mexican Americans, and Puerto Ricans.

So South Americans, Cubans, Arabs, Indians, Philipinos, etc. don't get the distinction generally. And while some places give some sort of LGBT boost, it's generally not the same.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

IsraBakar

New

Post by IsraBakar » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:38 pm

untar614 wrote:
IsraBakar wrote:
PRgradBYU wrote:
Racial minority & Queer.
Just speculation based on ur name, but be sure your race is actually treated as URM. Traditionally, the ones that are given this distinction are Native Americans/Alaskan Natives, African Americans/Blacks, Mexican Americans, and Puerto Ricans.

So South Americans, Cubans, Arabs, Indians, Philipinos, etc. don't get the distinction generally. And while some places give some sort of LGBT boost, it's generally not the same.
Yea, I'm Black...the name actually means something not related to my roots or culture

Dmini7

Silver

Post by Dmini7 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:49 pm

As an AA male, you owe it to yourself to retake. How much prep did you do? Getting into the 160's will change everything. Just for clarification. When you say you have a 3.0, do you mean its a 3.0 or slightly above? Or like a 2.98. Sadly, 3.0 seems to be some sort of cut-off for alot of top schools even as a URM.

IsraBakar

New

Post by IsraBakar » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:03 pm

Dmini7 wrote:As an AA male, you owe it to yourself to retake. How much prep did you do? Getting into the 160's will change everything. Just for clarification. When you say you have a 3.0, do you mean its a 3.0 or slightly above? Or like a 2.98. Sadly, 3.0 seems to be some sort of cut-off for alot of top schools even as a URM.
slightly above a 3.0, and i actually didn't prep, I took the LSAT within a month of planning to... so that's my fault for the avg score. I am a bit hesitant about taking a yr off school though. wouldn't that hurt my chances?...i.e. gaining references and having to go through the process all over?

nickb285

Silver

Post by nickb285 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:08 pm

Last edited by nickb285 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TheNextAmendment

Bronze

Post by TheNextAmendment » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:36 pm

nickb285 wrote:AA males are like unicorns when it comes to law school admissions. Even if you only manage to raise your score a few points, you're looking at an outside shot at the T14 (possibly with money given that admissions are so low lately, especially if one of them happens to be lacking in the diversity department) and definite acceptance/money at T50s: http://www.mylsn.info/3v2g6d

If you keep at it hard, get upper 160s, then you've got at least a chance at most of the T14: http://www.mylsn.info/jz3ism

Like Dmini says, you owe it to yourself to retake. Especially if HOLY CRAP YOU DIDN'T PREP AT ALL? Yeah dude, shoot for above 170 then, take a class or use the info on this site. And no, it will not hurt your chances. You can use the LORs you already have for up to five years (IIRC). Your absolute worst case scenario is that it hurts your chances at CUNY and you should not even slightly care because you should be looking at T14/T50 with scholarships.
UNICORNS! (for emphasis)

North

Gold

Post by North » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:43 pm

IsraBakar wrote:
Dmini7 wrote:As an AA male, you owe it to yourself to retake. How much prep did you do? Getting into the 160's will change everything. Just for clarification. When you say you have a 3.0, do you mean its a 3.0 or slightly above? Or like a 2.98. Sadly, 3.0 seems to be some sort of cut-off for alot of top schools even as a URM.
slightly above a 3.0, and i actually didn't prep, I took the LSAT within a month of planning to... so that's my fault for the avg score. I am a bit hesitant about taking a yr off school though. wouldn't that hurt my chances?...i.e. gaining references and having to go through the process all over?
No, doing better on the LSAT and taking a year off will ASTRONOMICALLY help your chances. You have a unique opportunity as an AA male and you'd be insane to squander it by going to either of these schools. You can reuse your LOR's.

Take a year off.

Find a part time job.

Study for the LSAT; 170+ or bust.

Enjoy a lifetime of vastly better career opportunities and earning potential.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”