Choosing a Law School - Mountain West

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
sainthawk29

Re: Choosing a Law School - Mountain West

Postby sainthawk29 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:29 pm

Being from the Mountain west/Rockies myself, I would stress go where you want to practice.

I know that Idaho isn't as prestigious as a T14. However, smaller communities tend to hire in-house. Working for the State Bar of one of these small west states, I can tell you this: Firms hire from state schools. Those T-14 students with no contacts..... they are in solo practice. Call it the good old boy system, or whatever, it is the way it works for the most part. *** This is only referencing small Mountian West States, in my experience.***

On top of that UI allows you to spend your 3rd year (clinicals) at a satellite campus in Boise.

My suggestion is to pick 3 or 4 of the large firms you wouldn't mind working for and do a little research on where the partners and associates went to school. If the majority are from UI, don't hestitate to go there.

In the long run it will be a lot cheaper, (maybe full ride) and get you exactly where you want to be.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:36 pm

sainthawk29 wrote:

In the long run it will be a lot cheaper, (maybe full ride) and get you exactly where you want to be.

It won't be cheaper if he is going to get a T14 full ride. Which may well happen.

At the end of the day, ID is a small state with not that many legal jobs. Sure, most of the people who get those jobs will be from local schools, but that doesn't mean 1) it's easy for people from local schools to get those jobs or 2) it wouldn't be easier to have ties and ALSO a prestigious degree. But ultimately, the advantage of a T14 degree is, if you can't snag one of the relatively few ID jobs, you can practice somewhere else for a few years and lateral in with experience.

skers

Postby skers » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:53 pm

sainthawk29 wrote:Being from the Mountain west/Rockies myself, I would stress go where you want to practice.
I know that Idaho isn't as prestigious as a T14. However, smaller communities tend to hire in-house. Working for the State Bar of one of these small west states, I can tell you this: Firms hire from state schools. Those T-14 students with no contacts..... they are in solo practice. Call it the good old boy system, or whatever, it is the way it works for the most part. *** This is only referencing small Mountian West States, in my experience.***

On top of that UI allows you to spend your 3rd year (clinicals) at a satellite campus in Boise.

My suggestion is to pick 3 or 4 of the large firms you wouldn't mind working for and do a little research on where the partners and associates went to school. If the majority are from UI, don't hestitate to go there.

The real issue is there aren't a lot of jobs available in Idaho. Bigger firms in Boise and Spokane (if that's a community that interests you OP) hire a handful of associates. If OP is all out mountain west I'd think somewhere like Utah or CU is a good bet since it maintains mountain west ties and makes something like Denver or SLC more viable.

rwhyAn

Postby rwhyAn » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:59 pm

nickb285 wrote:
IAFG wrote:Happy wife=happy life.

I saw that on a billboard once. It was an ad for kitchen countertops. And that's Provo, UT.

You saw that in Utah? Wouldn't it be happy *wives*?

buddyt

Postby buddyt » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:32 pm

rwhyAn wrote:You saw that in Utah? Wouldn't it be happy *wives*?

:roll:

Glancing at the website of a firm that claims to be the biggest in Idaho (about 50 attorneys), there's only 5 people from the T14. A big portion are from Idaho/mountain west (almost all with killer grades), and everyone else is all over the map. I don't know if the T14 thing is self-selection or if they prefer grads from local-ish schools, but common sense tells me that T14 at median (and keeping your debt as low as possible) is a much safer bet than trying to get elite grades at a more regional school.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:45 pm

buddytyler wrote:
rwhyAn wrote:You saw that in Utah? Wouldn't it be happy *wives*?

:roll:

Glancing at the website of a firm that claims to be the biggest in Idaho (about 50 attorneys), there's only 5 people from the T14. A big portion are from Idaho/mountain west (almost all with killer grades), and everyone else is all over the map. I don't know if the T14 thing is self-selection or if they prefer grads from local-ish schools, but common sense tells me that T14 at median (and keeping your debt as low as possible) is a much safer bet than trying to get elite grades at a more regional school.

Probably this. I can't imagine too many Columbia grads falling over themselves to get BigPotato.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:57 pm

Idaho, Colo. Boulder, or UWash. With schollies these will all allow you to reach your dream. Good luck.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:20 pm

Are there any international non-profits in Boise?

sasquatchsam

Postby sasquatchsam » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:25 pm

buddytyler wrote:Glancing at the website of a firm that claims to be the biggest in Idaho (about 50 attorneys), there's only 5 people from the T14. A big portion are from Idaho/mountain west (almost all with killer grades), and everyone else is all over the map. I don't know if the T14 thing is self-selection or if they prefer grads from local-ish schools, but common sense tells me that T14 at median (and keeping your debt as low as possible) is a much safer bet than trying to get elite grades at a more regional school.

Although that firm may have more practicing attorneys in Idaho than any other firm, that is not nearly as large a firm as Perkins Coie (900 attorneys) or Holland & Hart (440 attorneys) which both have offices in Boise. It looks like there is a pretty even split between U of I grads and T14 grads at their Boise offices. I think what needs to be taken into account is the number of applicants from the U of I that get offered jobs at these firms is probably an extremely small proportion of the number of total applicants from the U of I (maybe 1 in 50 for example). However, I would venture that the proportion of T14 applicants who get offered positions is probably something more like 1 in 2 or even higher. These numbers are completely made up but they serve as an illustration of why having more U of I grad does not equal a good chance of employment at these firms.

Yes, there are international non-profits based in Boise. The one I am interested in I have done volunteer work with before and they do some pretty awesome things.

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:44 pm

The Idaho job market is small. They tend to take people from T14 schools, as well as tops at their regional schools (BYU, Utah, UW, tops at Idaho). Several of the firms that hire entry-levels are Mormon-dominated satellites from Salt Lake City midlaw firms (you and I both know that while only about 25% of Idaho is Mormon, its professional class is like 50%). To get these firms, Utah and BYU would help you. The other biglaw satellites won't care, and going to a T14 with Idaho ties is really what you need.

If I had to gamble on your success, I would say that getting into T6 school gives you a 75% chance at Idaho big/midlaw, 40% at a top 14, a 15% chance at UW, Utah, and BYU, and maybe a 5% chance at Idaho (that is the chance I am giving you at getting Order of the Coif and then performing better on callbacks than your Harvard and Columbia competitors).

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:29 pm

Stanford

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:30 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:The Idaho job market is small. They tend to take people from T14 schools, as well as tops at their regional schools (BYU, Utah, UW, tops at Idaho). Several of the firms that hire entry-levels are Mormon-dominated satellites from Salt Lake City midlaw firms (you and I both know that while only about 25% of Idaho is Mormon, its professional class is like 50%). To get these firms, Utah and BYU would help you. The other biglaw satellites won't care, and going to a T14 with Idaho ties is really what you need.

If I had to gamble on your success, I would say that getting into T6 school gives you a 75% chance at Idaho big/midlaw, 40% at a top 14, a 15% chance at UW, Utah, and BYU, and maybe a 5% chance at Idaho (that is the chance I am giving you at getting Order of the Coif and then performing better on callbacks than your Harvard and Columbia competitors).

Why would NYU do so significantly better than UVA, Duke, or Michigan in this situation? Those numbers seem to be pulled squarely from your ass.

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:22 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:The Idaho job market is small. They tend to take people from T14 schools, as well as tops at their regional schools (BYU, Utah, UW, tops at Idaho). Several of the firms that hire entry-levels are Mormon-dominated satellites from Salt Lake City midlaw firms (you and I both know that while only about 25% of Idaho is Mormon, its professional class is like 50%). To get these firms, Utah and BYU would help you. The other biglaw satellites won't care, and going to a T14 with Idaho ties is really what you need.

Why would NYU do so significantly better than UVA, Duke, or Michigan in this situation? Those numbers seem to be pulled squarely from your ass.

I did. The discrepancy is due to a higher partner-per-capita ratio for these programs. It is easier to get a job through your alumni network.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”