Michigan v. Northwestern v. UCLA

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UM v. NU v. UCLA

Michigan ($30k scholarship + instate tuition)
43%
NU (sticker)
8%
UCLA ($120k scholarship)
49%

Total votes: 65

ht2988

Michigan v. Northwestern v. UCLA

Postby ht2988 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:05 pm

My options, with 3.35/161->173:

Michigan at in-state tuition with a $30k scholarship
Northwestern at sticker
UCLA with a $120k scholarship

I really want to practice BigLaw in SoCal. I've visited LA several times, and I love the scene. I've been in the midwest my entire life, and I am sick of the snow. Racial diversity is really important to me, not just among students but also among faculty. I'm also really interested in studying social justice/human rights law, but my career goals are corporate-focused. Ideally, I'll land a job at a prestigious firm that does good pro bono work. If UCLA wasn't ranked what it's ranked I'd have a much easier time making my decision, but I'm torn... Do I go to the higher ranked school and put off living in Cali for another 3 years? My parents are fully prepared to pay full tuition at NU (money is not at all an issue to them, and they want me to attend the highest ranked school I get into), and they're covering all of my living expenses, so regardless of where I go, I'm graduating debt free. I'm leaning towards UCLA, but I'm also weary of prestige and rankings. Thoughts? Thanks!
Last edited by ht2988 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BigZuck

Re: Michigan v. Northwestern v. UCLA

Postby BigZuck » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:11 pm

ht2988 wrote:My options, with 3.35/161->173:

Northwestern at sticker

I really want to practice BigLaw in SoCal. I've visited LA several times, and I love the scene. I've been in the midwest my entire life, and I am sick of the snow. Racial diversity is really important to me, not just among students but also among faculty. I'm also really interested in studying social justice/human rights law, but I don't want to go into PI. If UCLA wasn't ranked what it's ranked I'd have a much easier time making my decision, but I'm torn... Do I go to the higher ranked school and put off living in Cali for another 3 years? My parents are fully prepared to pay full tuition at NU, and they're covering all of my living expenses, so regardless of where I go, I'm graduating debt free. I'm leaning towards UCLA, but I'm also weary of prestige and rankings. Thoughts? Thanks!

I think that UCLA without CA ties is risky (especially if you need big law but luckily you don't). That being said I don't see either of the other options getting you to CA so if you want big law in Southern CA above all else I think UCLA is the right choice. If you want big law anywhere else, I would do NU.

ht2988

Postby ht2988 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:15 pm

BigZuck wrote:
ht2988 wrote:My options, with 3.35/161->173:

Northwestern at sticker

I really want to practice BigLaw in SoCal. I've visited LA several times, and I love the scene. I've been in the midwest my entire life, and I am sick of the snow. Racial diversity is really important to me, not just among students but also among faculty. I'm also really interested in studying social justice/human rights law, but I don't want to go into PI. If UCLA wasn't ranked what it's ranked I'd have a much easier time making my decision, but I'm torn... Do I go to the higher ranked school and put off living in Cali for another 3 years? My parents are fully prepared to pay full tuition at NU, and they're covering all of my living expenses, so regardless of where I go, I'm graduating debt free. I'm leaning towards UCLA, but I'm also weary of prestige and rankings. Thoughts? Thanks!

I think that UCLA without CA ties is risky (especially if you need big law but luckily you don't). That being said I don't see either of the other options getting you to CA so if you want big law in Southern CA above all else I think UCLA is the right choice. If you want big law anywhere else, I would do NU.

Thanks. I actually have a friend who has all but guaranteed me a 1L summer position in LA at a large non-profit as long as I get good grades, so I have a bit of a connection. But no family ties to the area or the BigLaw community there.

yodamiked

Postby yodamiked » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:18 pm

From my research, UCLA places quite well in SoCal. Most of the big firms apparently have a decent number of UCLA alumni, so that'll be bonus for you. If you want to end up in LA, I don't see Michigan giving you any advantage over UCLA. If you want to practice elsewhere though, than Michigan will open up more doors for you.

ht2988

Postby ht2988 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:02 am

Thanks for the feedback! I'm interested to hear from some of the folks who voted for Michigan over UCLA (and NU).

grandmastafunkz

Postby grandmastafunkz » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:31 am

Considering that you will be coming out with no doubt and seemingly have a summer position after 1L, I don't see why UCLA is not a good choice. It is better for where you'd like to be, but if there's any doubt in your mind that SoCal is where you want to be, then I think Michigan would be a great choice (see above comments in regards to Michigan).

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:13 pm

Have you tried negotiating? I understand your parents are paying but please give them as big of a break as possible! If they are totally and completely loaded and NU at sticker is the tiniest drop in the bucket, go there. If not, it's hard to justify either of these options over the lots of money at UCLA.

NU and Mich were the two I was considering and alumni and faculty from both told me I have a good chance of getting back to Cali (obviously, take it with a grain of salt, but searching firm associates alma maters does support some of what they say).

Is money an issue at all in anyway? If not, make that more clear in your op. Again, if they are totally loaded go to NU, if they are taking out their own loans, putting themselves under financial pressure, etc. try negotiating and then prob end up at UCLA.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:19 pm

Micdiddy wrote:Have you tried negotiating? I understand your parents are paying but please give them as big of a break as possible! If they are totally and completely loaded and NU at sticker is the tiniest drop in the bucket, go there. If not, it's hard to justify either of these options over the lots of money at UCLA.

NU and Mich were the two I was considering and alumni and faculty from both told me I have a good chance of getting back to Cali (obviously, take it with a grain of salt, but searching firm associates alma maters does support some of what they say).

Is money an issue at all in anyway? If not, make that more clear in your op. Again, if they are totally loaded go to NU, if they are taking out their own loans, putting themselves under financial pressure, etc. try negotiating and then prob end up at UCLA.

OP has no real ties to CA, his résumé will scream Midwest and I don't think attending law school in the Midwest will help him snag CA big law without tippy top grades.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:31 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:Have you tried negotiating? I understand your parents are paying but please give them as big of a break as possible! If they are totally and completely loaded and NU at sticker is the tiniest drop in the bucket, go there. If not, it's hard to justify either of these options over the lots of money at UCLA.

OP has no real ties to CA, his résumé will scream Midwest and I don't think attending law school in the Midwest will help him snag CA big law without tippy top grades.

This is what I want to know about ties. Isn't what they want to hear just that you want to be in that city? Why is the fact my Uncle, who I barely speak to, living in Marin is more of a tie than "OMG SF IS MY DREAM CITY I WILL STAY HERE FOREVER AND EVER?" It's just a reason for them to believe I will stick around. But OP can give them a million reasons why he/she will stick around despite not having random relatives in the area or "one time I was barista in Burbank."
Seriously, if OP makes their OCI bidding Cali centric and prepares a spiel, why would employers not believe that he/she's in it for the long haul?

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:36 pm

Micdiddy wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

This is what I want to know about ties. Isn't what they want to hear just that you want to be in that city? Why is the fact my Uncle, who I barely speak to, living in Marin is more of a tie than "OMG SF IS MY DREAM CITY I WILL STAY HERE FOREVER AND EVER?" It's just a reason for them to believe I will stick around. But OP can give them a million reasons why he/she will stick around despite not having random relatives in the area or "one time I was barista in Burbank."
Seriously, if OP makes their OCI bidding Cali centric and prepares a spiel, why would employers not believe that he/she's in it for the long haul?

I'm just thinking that there will be so many kids with good grades from the T14, plus all the CA school kids who have top grades from those schools that if the OP ends up median at NU or Michigan they probably won't get CA big law no matter how much they love it. Then again if they are median at UCLA they probably won't get CA big law either. I don't really know what the right answer is, I think NU and Michigan are unquestionably better schools but UCLA would at least allow the OP to start a CA narrative and establish some roots/contacts in the city he wants to end up in.

ht2988

Postby ht2988 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:38 pm

Money is not an issue in any way. They want me to go to NU, but I just don't see myself as part of the NU community. I love the location and the building, but the law school culture seems very business focused, and their student and faculty diversity is not impressive. I'm still torn, though, because I'm not sure which school will give me the best opportunity at landing a BigLaw position in LA. I understand NU and Michigan have better national reputations, but UCLA does really well in LA - where would I be better off? Where would I have more competition? I have absolutely no qualms with being stuck in LA.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:40 pm

Michigan with $ vs. NU at sticker? Michigan all the way. That part is a no brainer. It comes down to if you want to practice in Cali for me.
Last edited by ManoftheHour on Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:40 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

I'm just thinking that there will be so many kids with good grades from the T14, plus all the CA school kids who have top grades from those schools that if the OP ends up median at NU or Michigan they probably won't get CA big law no matter how much they love it. Then again if they are median at UCLA they probably won't get CA big law either. I don't really know what the right answer is, I think NU and Michigan are unquestionably better schools but UCLA would at least allow the OP to start a CA narrative and establish some roots/contacts in the city he wants to end up in.

Yep, I agree with all this.
Time for the Sinifiery question:
OP, would you rather have Big Law in Chi or NYC or be a Starbucks barista in CA?
If the former, NU (or Mich depending on how loaded parents are), if the latter, UCLA.

ht2988

Postby ht2988 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:45 pm

Micdiddy wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

Yep, I agree with all this.
Time for the Sinifiery question:
OP, would you rather have Big Law in Chi or NYC or be a Starbucks barista in CA?
If the former, NU (or Mich depending on how loaded parents are), if the latter, UCLA.

It can't be THAT dramatic of a difference in career prospects... Can it? I DEFINITELY do NOT want to settle down in Chicago or NYC. I have lived in the midwest my entire life, and each and every winter I contemplate suicide. I've visited LA and I love it. I want to end up there. The question is: which school will give me the best chance at it?

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:53 pm

Let's be realistic... if money is this much of a non factor, and OP's parents are pushing him to go to his most expensive option and offering to pay full, he's not going to be unemployed. Families that rich have connections (already hinted at with the 1L summer line up).

If you love CA that much just go to UCLA and enjoy the location 3 years sooner than otherwise. You're gonna have a golden parachute no matter what your grades are so don't even worry about it.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:54 pm

Assuming you want a good paying job, then the difference in job prospects is rather substantial.
At UCLA top 1/3 get big law, at NU it's 50%.
What's your feeling on federal clerkships? I know it's not something people plan on 'cause they're so rare, but would you take one if you had the grades? If so, NU (and Mich especially) get an even bigger bump.

I don't see why anyone who had equal post-grad debt at both would choose UCLA, tbh, unless they would rather be a barista in CA than a lawyer anywhere else.

With that said, you haven't answered the question about how loaded your parents really are. So again I reiterate, if they're completely loaded, NU, if you want to reduce the financial strain on them and still go a pretty good school, UCLA.

For reference (though I'm sure you've seen it):
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=ucla

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=northwestern

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=michigan

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:54 pm

Cobretti wrote:Let's be realistic... if money is this much of a non factor, and OP's parents are pushing him to go to his most expensive option and offering to pay full, he's not going to be unemployed. Families that rich have connections (already hinted at with the 1L summer line up).

If you love CA that much just go to UCLA and enjoy the location 3 years sooner than otherwise. You're gonna have a golden parachute no matter what your grades are so don't even worry about it.

Good point.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:57 pm

CA is great, but I would reiterate my opinion that unless you're married or have kids to worried about, its too early in your life to be worried about "settling" in a particular location. Reaching your career goals should come first. I'd choose between Michigan and NW - probably NW since you're parents are paying, though the winters are harsher there. As noted by Micdiddy, the differences in good outcomes are quite substantial.

ht2988

Postby ht2988 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:02 pm

Micdiddy wrote:Assuming you want a good paying job, then the difference in job prospects is rather substantial.
What's your feeling on federal clerkships? I know it's not something people plan on 'cause they're so rare, but would you take one if you had the grades? If so, NU (and Mich especially) get an even bigger bump.

I don't see why anyone who had equal post-grad debt at both would choose UCLA, tbh, unless they would rather be a barista in CA than a lawyer anywhere else.

With that said, you haven't answered the question about how loaded your parents really are. So again I reiterate, if they're completely loaded, NU, if you want to reduce the financial strain on them and still go a pretty good school, UCLA.

Completely loaded - whatever that means... Loaded enough that the issue of money is not important to me. The scholarship at UCLA is enticing because I want to be at a school that wants me. Some of their top faculty (whose work I studied in undergrad) have personally reached out to me on several occasions, and I feel like I'll perform better there where I'm wanted and where I know there are profs whose work is intellectually stimulating. I don't mean to underestimate the challenge of 1L year at a top law school, but I feel strongly about my capacity to end up in the top 1/3 of my class. I made it through undergrad while on chemo for 2 years with a pretty decent GPA considering the circumstances.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:40 pm

ht2988 wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:Assuming you want a good paying job, then the difference in job prospects is rather substantial.

Completely loaded - whatever that means... Loaded enough that the issue of money is not important to me. The scholarship at UCLA is enticing because I want to be at a school that wants me. Some of their top faculty (whose work I studied in undergrad) have personally reached out to me on several occasions, and I feel like I'll perform better there where I'm wanted and where I know there are profs whose work is intellectually stimulating. I don't mean to underestimate the challenge of 1L year at a top law school, but I feel strongly about my capacity to end up in the top 1/3 of my class. I made it through undergrad while on chemo for 2 years with a pretty decent GPA considering the circumstances.

Talking to the faculty is cool and all, it was hard for me to withdraw from Mich because of the personal attention they showered, but it's really up to you how much stock you want to put into this. I probably wouldn't put much, but I do see the sentimentality in it.

Anyway, NU and Mich want you, they accepted you. Knowing that money is not important at all, I think it's basically NU>Mich>..........................UCLA

ht2988

Postby ht2988 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:54 pm

Micdiddy wrote:
ht2988 wrote:

Talking to the faculty is cool and all, it was hard for me to withdraw from Mich because of the personal attention they showered, but it's really up to you how much stock you want to put into this. I probably wouldn't put much, but I do see the sentimentality in it.

Anyway, NU and Mich want you, they accepted you. Knowing that money is not important at all, I think it's basically NU>Mich>..........................UCLA

Thanks for all the feedback... This complicates my decision-making (in a good way). Still waiting on Columbia to get back to me, so hopefully I get a decision from them that simplifies everything, but I'm not holding my breath. Any strong votes for UCLA, as that where I was leaning upon creating this thread?

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:57 pm

ht2988 wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:
ht2988 wrote:

Thanks for all the feedback... This complicates my decision-making (in a good way). Still waiting on Columbia to get back to me, so hopefully I get a decision from them that simplifies everything, but I'm not holding my breath. Any strong votes for UCLA, as that where I was leaning upon creating this thread?

I think the golden parachute is a good call. I strongly vote for UCLA, you're never going to have to worry about money and that will start your life in LA.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:27 pm

If it's true OP that ties through your parents will always propel you further and ensure you land on your feet, then I would also change my vote to UCLA because really who cares about employment prospects if you're going to be mega-rich and successful either way?
If, as is the feeling I get from this thread, you want to make it on your own, not rely on (or possibly not always have) incredible financial support and employment prospects are a major issue if your parents cannot hand you jobs opportunity after job opportunity, then I stick with what I have been saying.

I feel like if OP was 100% set because "lol rich parents" then he/she would not even bother making this thread...but I could be wrong.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Micdiddy wrote:If it's true OP that ties through your parents will always propel you further and ensure you land on your feet, then I would also change my vote to UCLA because really who cares about employment prospects if you're going to be mega-rich and successful either way?
If, as is the feeling I get from this thread, you want to make it on your own, not rely on (or possibly not always have) incredible financial support and employment prospects are a major issue if your parents cannot hand you jobs opportunity after job opportunity, then I stick with what I have been saying.

I feel like if OP was 100% set because "lol rich parents" then he/she would not even bother making this thread...but I could be wrong.

I kind of got the sense that the OP wants the go ahead to go to UCLA but the T14 or bust attitude around here is holding him back from pulling the trigger so he wanted to see what TLS said. Could be wrong though.

Magnalum

Postby Magnalum » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:34 pm

Last edited by Magnalum on Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”