Florida In-State: UF vs. FSU($)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
sflyr2016

Re: Florida In-State: UF vs. FSU($)

Postby sflyr2016 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:30 pm

Ehh, UM/UF/FSU are the same. Really only minor differences (aside from the cost of UM). Each place in their own region, neither will help you much out of Florida, each are good schools -- not great just good --, and each only give you 10% chance or less for biglaw. Did I miss something?

I say go to the cheapest and nearest to where you want to work.

Florida2013

Postby Florida2013 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:57 pm

joeant wrote:Ehh, UM/UF/FSU are the same. Really only minor differences (aside from the cost of UM). Each place in their own region, neither will help you much out of Florida, each are good schools -- not great just good --, and each only give you 10% chance or less for biglaw. Did I miss something?

I know UM is better for South Florida but what about regionality differences for FSU and UF. Is FSU more restricted to the panhandle/north florida as compared to UF?

North wrote:OP, have you tried to negotiate with FSU for an increased scholarship award?

No I have not, I don't have a scholarship from UF to show either. How could/would I best approach negotiating an increased scholarship?

sflyr2016

Postby sflyr2016 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:05 pm

Florida2013 wrote:
joeant wrote:Ehh, UM/UF/FSU are the same. Really only minor differences (aside from the cost of UM). Each place in their own region, neither will help you much out of Florida, each are good schools -- not great just good --, and each only give you 10% chance or less for biglaw. Did I miss something?

I know UM is better for South Florida but what about regionality differences for FSU and UF. Is FSU more restricted to the panhandle/north florida as compared to UF?

North wrote:OP, have you tried to negotiate with FSU for an increased scholarship award?

No I have not, I don't have a scholarship from UF to show either. How could/would I best approach negotiating an increased scholarship?

Get UF to match then have FSU one-up them (which they may since they consider each other peer schools). Then go to FSU and don't worry about rankings, placement, etc. And realize that the only way to get a good job is to get good grades from a good school. You have one of those already. Begin to focus on the other.

Florida2013

Postby Florida2013 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:02 pm

joeant wrote:Get UF to match then have FSU one-up them (which they may since they consider each other peer schools). Then go to FSU and don't worry about rankings, placement, etc. And realize that the only way to get a good job is to get good grades from a good school. You have one of those already. Begin to focus on the other.

Thanks for the advice. Do you have any suggestions for how I should approach asking UF to match the scholarship?

sflyr2016

Postby sflyr2016 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:24 pm

Florida2013 wrote:
joeant wrote:Get UF to match then have FSU one-up them (which they may since they consider each other peer schools). Then go to FSU and don't worry about rankings, placement, etc. And realize that the only way to get a good job is to get good grades from a good school. You have one of those already. Begin to focus on the other.

Thanks for the advice. Do you have any suggestions for how I should approach asking UF to match the scholarship?

yes. Firmly and respectfully. Let them know the truth, that you are strongly considering their law school but cannot justify attending when FSU has offered you money.

UF2015

Postby UF2015 » Wed May 01, 2013 8:46 am

There are some delusional FSU homers in this thread.

If you want government work, go to Tally. If there is a significant COA advantage at FSU, go to Tally. If you're a hardcore Seminole who doesn't want to go to UF, go to Tally.

In almost every other scenario, UF is a better idea. PRESTIGE WORLDWIDE.

Source: I'm a UF homer.

North

Postby North » Wed May 01, 2013 9:02 am

UF2015 wrote:PRESTIGE WORLDWIDE.

LOL.

UF places significantly fewer of its graduates into JD required work than FSU.

UF2015 wrote:If there is a significant COA advantage at FSU, go to Tally.

This is the case for OP.

UF2015

Postby UF2015 » Wed May 01, 2013 9:13 am

LOL.

UF places significantly fewer of its graduates into JD required work than FSU.

UF has reporting issues -- very concerning. FSU students/alum would argue that the credibility advantage of UF over FSU has disappeared; I would disagree. But I'm not going to sit here and use anecdotes to prove a point when UF has shitty and potentially misleading reporting practices.

North

Postby North » Wed May 01, 2013 10:18 am

UF2015 wrote:FSU students/alum would argue that the credibility advantage of UF over FSU has disappeared; I would disagree.

What is this?

UF2015 wrote:UF has reporting issues -- very concerning.

That's not true. Both UF and FSU had above a 98% response rate for their 2012 graduating class. There is no ambiguity. UF places its graduates into long term, full time, JD required jobs at a significantly worst rate than FSU.

UF2015 wrote:But I'm not going to sit here and use anecdotes to prove a point when UF has shitty and potentially misleading reporting practices.

Okay.

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Wed May 01, 2013 11:55 am

I'd be interested in anecdotal evidence that suggests UF is providing misleading employment data.

sflyr2016

Postby sflyr2016 » Wed May 01, 2013 12:28 pm

Given you that you are attending either, my question to you guys is whether I should go to a t30 with very strong biglaw placement (BC), or UF/FSU, if my goal is Florida big/midlaw?

As current student's, how would you choose given my goals and my predicament? Be frank as you wish. I have two weeks left to decide.

North

Postby North » Wed May 01, 2013 12:32 pm

joeant wrote:Given you that you are attending either, my question to you guys is whether I should go to a t30 with very strong biglaw placement (BC), or UF/FSU, if my goal is Florida big/midlaw?

As current student's, how would you choose given my goals and my predicament? Be frank as you wish. I have two weeks left to decide.

Do not go to Boston College if your goal is to work in Florida. There's no predicament here. Use you T30 admits to negotiate at UF and FSU, then go to the cheapest of the two.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed May 01, 2013 12:44 pm

joeant wrote:Given you that you are attending either, my question to you guys is whether I should go to a t30 with very strong biglaw placement (BC), or UF/FSU, if my goal is Florida big/midlaw?

Go to T14 + Vandy if that is really your goal

usfvictor

Postby usfvictor » Wed May 01, 2013 12:48 pm

Go to FSU, its cheaper and if you do well it will meet your want of FL big/mid law.

Rad's opinion of T14+Vandy isnt a bad one lol but it will put you in serious debt.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed May 01, 2013 12:50 pm

usfvictor wrote:Go to FSU, its cheaper and if you do well it will meet your want of FL big/mid law.

Rad's opinion of T14+Vandy isnt a bad one lol but it will put you in serious debt.

Retake until you can get into one of those schools without serious debt

If you are serious about that goal

If you just want to work in FL at a small firm or local govt, cop dat UF/FSU

AT9

Postby AT9 » Thu May 09, 2013 12:28 am

This debate is of much interest to me, as I'm a fellow FL resident and may be joining you at one of those schools next year (so long as I don't choke on the LSAT).

If the $ were equal, I'd spend some time at both schools/towns and pick whichever felt like the best fit.

At $20K to $30K less at FSU, I think it's a pretty clear choice.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”