Seton Hall v. Suffolk?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
KLA07171

Seton Hall v. Suffolk?

Postby KLA07171 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:48 am

Editing this post so it contains less personal info.

Suffolk or Northeastern with full tuition/expenses paid for or Seton Hall with $25K?
Last edited by KLA07171 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

framboozer

Re: Seton Hall v. Suffolk?

Postby framboozer » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:13 am

Why do you want to go to Seton Hall so badly?

KLA07171

Postby KLA07171 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:22 am

Editing to contain less personal info
Last edited by KLA07171 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:40 am

Avoid SH like the plague. It is a shitmill run by the valvoline dean himself.

dirtrida2

Postby dirtrida2 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:52 am

KLA07171 wrote:I have a rather unique situation. I'm from Boston and my family wants me to stay in Boston at all costs. They are willing to pay entirely for Suffolk if I go there - all tuition/expenses/rent for an apartment.. everything. If I go to Seton Hall they won't pay for any part of it. I received a $25,000 scholarship to Seton Hall, but will need to take out loans for the rest and to pay for rent/living expenses.

So the question is- to have debt, or not to have debt? Is it better to go to a T3 with no debt at all or to go somewhere like Seton Hall?

Also, I'm open to working in either the NY/NJ or Boston area, I don't have strong feelings towards either location.

How old are you?

Why are you parents dictating your decision?

Do they have a law firm they eventually want you to work for?

Seems like you might need to cut the umbilical cord, is this why you are contemplating paying for Seton Hall?

North

Postby North » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:53 am

Boston College and Boston University are both significantly better investments than Suffolk. You need to retake the LSAT until you can get in to BC or BU and then let mommy and daddy pay for it. That's a bargain, IMO.

Don't waste your parent's money on Suffolk. Don't go to Seton Hall.

rwhyAn

Postby rwhyAn » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:54 am

Have you ever been to Newark? It's f'ing depressing. Even with $25k/year, you're still looking at over $20k in tuition plus COL, or about $120k total. If you had to decide between the two, take the free ride at Suffolk and never look back! Imagine not having to pay $1200+ in loans per month. You'll thank me later.

empyreanrrv

Postby empyreanrrv » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:28 am

Suffolk may be free for you, but you still have over a 60% chance of graduating without a full-time long-term legal job. Why won't your parents pay for Northeastern if they are paying for Suffolk? What are you looking to do with your law degree?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:48 am

North wrote:Boston College and Boston University are both significantly better investments than Suffolk. You need to retake the LSAT until you can get in to BC or BU and then let mommy and daddy pay for it. That's a bargain, IMO.

Don't waste your parent's money on Suffolk. Don't go to Seton Hall.

This. Retake and get into a school in Boston worth going to, i.e. a good deal from BU/BC. Suffolk would be a huge waste of your parents money.

If you insist on going, both of these schools have terrible job placement, so I suppose Suffolk for free with Boston ties beats Seton Hall. But take a look at the job data:

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=suffolk
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=setonhall

(ETA: SH's job data is inflated by their bizarre clerkship process in NJ, and because they have 30+ people working in firms of 2-10)

dirtrida2

Postby dirtrida2 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:10 am

KLA07171 wrote:I have a rather unique situation. I'm from Boston and my family wants me to stay in Boston at all costs. They are willing to pay entirely for Suffolk if I go there - all tuition/expenses/rent for an apartment.. everything. If I go to Seton Hall they won't pay for any part of it. I received a $25,000 scholarship to Seton Hall, but will need to take out loans for the rest and to pay for rent/living expenses.

So the question is- to have debt, or not to have debt? Is it better to go to a T3 with no debt at all or to go somewhere like Seton Hall?

Also, I'm open to working in either the NY/NJ or Boston area, I don't have strong feelings towards either location.

Is no one else curious about the leash his parents have on him?

Seems like an odd ultimatum.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:16 am

It would be really irresponsible to have your parents blow 200k on such a bad school. Retake and have them spend the money on a school that will leave you employed.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:18 am

How wealthy are your parents? Even if they are wiling to pay, like the other posters are saying I wouldn't waste their money on Suffolk unless they are Bill Gates rich.

North

Postby North » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:18 am

dirtrida2 wrote:Is no one else curious about the leash his parents have on him?

Seems like an odd ultimatum.

At least they live in a city with a couple decent schools. It could be much worse if, say, they lived in Jacksonville.

KLA07171

Postby KLA07171 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:38 am

I graduated from Northeastern with a 3.7 GPA got a 163 on the LSAT. I could retake, however I'm not confident that I could score high enough for BU. My practice tests were consistently in the low 160s.
Last edited by KLA07171 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KLA07171

Postby KLA07171 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:40 am

Yea you have no idea.
Last edited by KLA07171 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

dirtrida2

Postby dirtrida2 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:41 am

KLA07171 wrote:
dirtrida2 wrote:

How old are you?

Why are you parents dictating your decision?

Do they have a law firm they eventually want you to work for?

Seems like you might need to cut the umbilical cord, is this why you are contemplating paying for Seton Hall?

I'm 23 and graduated last May. My parents are incredibly controlling so that absolutely adds to the appeal of SH because it would be a way to break away from them. They will pay for Northeastern as well, however (and I may be wrong with this) I've heard that Suffolk graduates have better opportunities in the Boston area because of their alumni network in the city.

I graduated from Northeastern with a 3.7 GPA got a 163 on the LSAT. I could retake, however I'm not confident that I could score high enough for BU. My practice tests were consistently in the low 160s.

What are you not telling us, your offers should be MUCH better given your numbers...

Did you apply very late in the cycle - you should have been a shoe in at BC this year. Seton Hall should have also given you a full-ride.

KLA07171

Postby KLA07171 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:47 am

I did apply very late in the cycle. I submitted my applications in February, and my second recommender didn't get my recommendation in until March 1 so my apps were incomplete until then. I'm not sure if this contributed to my (lack of) offers.
Last edited by KLA07171 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:50 am

OP, how hard and for how long did you study? Be honest with yourself. If you put in the time and effort, I'm very confident you could get your score up 4-5 points (at least) and get into BU/BC. You owe it to yourself to retake and reapply early next cycle. TLS is full of success stories where people did exactly that, and the decision paid enormous dividends.

Study for 3 months, get all the resources you need, utilize our LSAT Forum, work hard, and go enjoy a better school. You can do better.

dirtrida2

Postby dirtrida2 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:52 am

I did apply very late in the cycle. I submitted my applications in February, and my second recommender didn't get my recommendation in until March 1 so my apps were incomplete until then. I'm not sure if this contributed to my (lack of) offers.

It definitely did. Check LSN.

If you troll through the BC applicants thread you will see that they accepted non-URMs with lower LSATS and even lower GPAs.

You will definitely benefit from sitting out, retaking and applying EARLY. Even if you don't improve on your LSAT score (which I highly doubt) you will have a better cycle if you apply earlier.

KLA07171

Postby KLA07171 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:01 pm

dirtrida2 wrote:

It definitely did. Check LSN.

If you troll through the BC applicants thread you will see that they accepted non-URMs with lower LSATS and even lower GPAs.

You will definitely benefit from sitting out, retaking and applying EARLY. Even if you don't improve on your LSAT score (which I highly doubt) you will have a better cycle if you apply earlier.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the advice.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”