NYU $ vs. Penn $ vs. Columbia

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Penn, NYU, Columbia, or reapply

Penn - 60k
40%
NYU - 50k
42%
Columbia - Sticker
12%
Reapply earlier next cycle (see below)
7%

Total votes: 43

Aporia88

NYU $ vs. Penn $ vs. Columbia

Postby Aporia88 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:03 pm

So I am currently feeling the deposit deadline crunch and was hoping to tap into the collective wisdom of TLS for help with my upcoming decision.

Choices and COA:
- Penn ($174,813)
- NYU ($195,112)
- Columbia ($278,843)

Short-term goal after LS is a federal clerkship, but I am completely fine working in biglaw for a few years were I to strike out.

Long-term goal: I would love to jump into entertainment law at some point in my career. I fully realize how competitive, and ambiguous, the industry is, but still want to attend the school that will put me in best position to pursue/lateral into an EntLaw job at some point.

Other option: I am waitlisted at Harvard, and will give that a ride for a while. However, if I don't get in, I am (lightly) considering reapplying next cycle as I fear that getting apps in super late (February 1) may have affected my chances at SH.

What say you, TLS?

oldschool123

Re: NYU $ vs. Penn $ vs. Columbia

Postby oldschool123 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:09 pm

In terms of this cycle, I'd say that CLS isn't an option at all being $80K+ more expensive than NYU..

The $20K difference between Penn and NYU isn't big enough to make Penn a no-brainer decision, so I think for you it just comes down to where you'd prefer to be between those two (if you're going to make it a decision between those two and not reapply)

Aporia88 wrote:So I am currently feeling the deposit deadline crunch and was hoping to tap into the collective wisdom of TLS for help with my upcoming decision.

Choices and COA:
- Penn ($174,813)
- NYU ($195,112)
- Columbia ($278,843)

Short-term goal after LS is a federal clerkship, but I am completely fine working in biglaw for a few years were I to strike out.

Long-term goal: I would love to jump into entertainment law at some point in my career. I fully realize how competitive, and ambiguous, the industry is, but still want to attend the school that will put me in best position to pursue/lateral into an EntLaw job at some point.

Other option: I am waitlisted at Harvard, and will give that a ride for a while. However, if I don't get in, I am (lightly) considering reapplying next cycle as I fear that getting apps in super late (February 1) may have affected my chances at SH.

What say you, TLS?

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:12 pm

1) What are your stats?

2) This is between Penn and NYU. Go to whichever one you like better. Your debt load is going to necessitate biglaw.

3) WTF IS ENTERTAINMENT LAW!?!!??!?!?!

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:13 pm

Agree with the above. And FWIW, the three schools are fungible w/r/t to clerkship placement power, i.e., it's probably not happening.

Tekrul

Postby Tekrul » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:24 pm

No vote for now because you really haven't provided enough information for a vote that will show anything other than which school (between Penn and NYU) TLS likes most.

Except for the fact that Columbia at sticker should not even be in this poll when you have NYU and Penn on the line with $$.

If you were considering reapplying why not make it one of the poll choices? Also, seriously, stats.

oldschool123

Postby oldschool123 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:29 pm

Tekrul wrote:If you were considering reapplying why not make it one of the poll choices?

It is....

Aporia88

Postby Aporia88 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:31 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:1) What are your stats?

2) This is between Penn and NYU. Go to whichever one you like better. Your debt load is going to necessitate biglaw.

173/3.5 hispanic URM, and I can't honestly say that I know what entertainment law entails exactly, but goshdarnnit if it don't sound swell. 8)

banjo

Postby banjo » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:35 pm

There was a guy who took some questions on entertainment / video game law a while ago...maybe start with that: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=118971

I would probably take Penn here.

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:36 pm

Take NYU and hang out at Tisch (to be entertained). :P

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:36 pm

I don't think you need to reapply. Your results are what you'd expect for a Hispanic URM splitter. Only reapply if you also plan on retaking and getting 175+

Tekrul

Postby Tekrul » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:43 pm

Sorry, I meant to say, if you were only lightly considering reapplying why is it etc. etc.

Just seems like it shouldn't be there.

Edit: Also I meant a law grad at a panel who was in 'entertainment law'. She described her job as sitting at her desk and answering her phone every so often with celebrities on the other line asking whether they could or could not sue this or that person/object. Or asking whether they were allowed to do this or that activity. Overall it seems super chill.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:56 pm

Aporia88 wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:1) What are your stats?

173/3.5 hispanic URM, and I can't honestly say that I know what entertainment law entails exactly, but goshdarnnit if it don't sound swell. 8)

Yea, I don't think reapplying will get you through the HYS door. Unfortunately, your GPA is probably too low.

I think you should choose between Penn and NYU. This being said, if you actually are interesting in pursuing "entertainment law", I would imagine NYC is a better place to be a student because of the internship/externship opportunities.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”