Final Choice : Duke vs. UT

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
proudlypretentious

Final Choice : Duke vs. UT

Postby proudlypretentious » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:48 pm

Hi all, I'd like some help making a final choice between these two schools

UT (COA 120k)
Duke(COA 175k)

*Numbers include interest* (Georgetown calc + one posted on TLS)
Financing through loans (some family support but basically would cover groceries)

Background: From Texas strong ties (highschool + undergrad), Hard science degree but not engineering.

Goals: Biglaw, have an interest in IP litigation. Then lateral to a smaller firm.
Markets: DC >>> Texas>NY
LSAT= cancel, 166, 168 (PT around 166 and last test in Dec)
GPA = 3.97

Would like any insight, thanks.

shifty_eyed

Re: Final Choice : Duke vs. UT

Postby shifty_eyed » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:51 pm

Duke for sure since you want DC. If you wanted Texas, it would be a much closer call.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:52 pm

proudlypretentious wrote:Hi all, I'd like some help making a final choice between these two schools

UT (COA 120k)
Duke(COA 175k)

*Numbers include interest* (Georgetown calc + one posted on TLS)
Financing through loans (some family support but basically would cover groceries)

Background: From Texas strong ties (highschool + undergrad), Hard science degree but not engineering.

Goals: Biglaw, have an interest in IP litigation. Then lateral to a smaller firm.
Markets: DC >>> Texas>NY
LSAT= cancel, 166, 168 (PT around 166 and last test in Dec)
GPA = 3.97

Would like any insight, thanks.

If your goal is DC, then the correct answer is Duke.

gaud

Postby gaud » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:53 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:Duke for sure since you want DC. If you wanted Texas, it would be a much closer call.

This.

Also, I imagine your Texas ties will help you get back into Texas if your preferences change in the future.

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:53 pm

gaud wrote:
shifty_eyed wrote:Duke for sure since you want DC. If you wanted Texas, it would be a much closer call.

This.

Also, I imagine your Texas ties will help you get back into Texas if your preferences change in the future.

This. Duke + being from Texas should let you get back there if you're at/below median.

proudlypretentious

Postby proudlypretentious » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:56 pm

SportsFan wrote:
gaud wrote:

This.

This. Duke + being from Texas should let you get back there if you're at/below median.

I had seen this posted on another thread. How accurate is this, since I thought that UT had a hold on the Texas market?

Another question: would there be any advantage to going to Duke or Texas in regards to 1L SAs?

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:01 pm

proudlypretentious wrote:
SportsFan wrote:
gaud wrote:

This.

I had seen this posted on another thread. How accurate is this, since I thought that UT had a hold on the Texas market?

Another question: would there be any advantage to going to Duke or Texas in regards to 1L SAs?

My understanding is you need to be top 1/3 at UT to get biglaw (or at the very least, above median), while Texas firms will dip below median for students who are from Texas at most/all T14's. FWIW, I'm a 1L at Penn, and I know at least 1 person from Texas (out of 3 in my section, IIRC) has a 1L SA there. So its definitely possible (and my understanding is, with strong ties, its the easiest market to get a 1L SA in).
Last edited by SportsFan on Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

proudlypretentious

Postby proudlypretentious » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:05 pm

SportsFan wrote:My understanding is you need to be top 1/3 at UT to get biglaw (or at the very least, above median), while Texas firms will dip below median for students who are from Texas at most/all T14's. FWIW, I'm a 1L at Penn, and I know at least 1 person from Texas (out of like 3 in my section, IIRC) for a 1L SA there. So its definitely possible (and my understanding is, with strong ties, its the easiest market to get a 1L SA in).

That is what I've gleaned from lurking for too long. From what I understand there is not very many SA in major markets like NYC and DC?

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:06 pm

Definitely Duke. Since you have strong TX ties, you retain the option of going back to TX, plus you get the added benefit of DC being a realistic option if you do well at Duke.

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:07 pm

proudlypretentious wrote:
SportsFan wrote:My understanding is you need to be top 1/3 at UT to get biglaw (or at the very least, above median), while Texas firms will dip below median for students who are from Texas at most/all T14's. FWIW, I'm a 1L at Penn, and I know at least 1 person from Texas (out of like 3 in my section, IIRC) for a 1L SA there. So its definitely possible (and my understanding is, with strong ties, its the easiest market to get a 1L SA in).

That is what I've gleaned from lurking for too long. From what I understand there is not very many SA in major markets like NYC and DC?

Yeah, 1L SA's are mostly in secondary markets (basically everywhere not NYC/DC). I know 2 people in my section with 1L SA's in NYC... but thats not really relevant I guess haha.

proudlypretentious

Postby proudlypretentious » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:08 pm

SportsFan wrote:
proudlypretentious wrote:That is what I've gleaned from lurking for too long. From what I understand there is not very many SA in major markets like NYC and DC?

Yeah, 1L SA's are mostly in secondary markets (basically everywhere not NYC/DC). I know 2 people in my section with 1L SA's in NYC... but thats not really relevant I guess haha.

Okay thanks lol

Well this was a bit one sided but my goals of getting a firm job in DC makes it obvious
Last edited by proudlypretentious on Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:09 pm

These are my final two too. Neat.

I vote Duke. At those costs you basically need big law and Duke gives you a much greater chance at that. I think both options are too expensive but UT especially so. Good school, but big law chances are not good enough to risk it at that price when you have Duke as an option for 50K more. Also if you really want DC I have to think that Duke gives you a much greater chance at that.

proudlypretentious

Postby proudlypretentious » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:11 pm

BigZuck wrote:These are my final two too. Neat.

I vote Duke. At those costs you basically need big law and Duke gives you a much greater chance at that. I think both options are too expensive but UT especially so. Good school, but big law chances are not good enough to risk it at that price when you have Duke as an option for 50K more. Also if you really want DC I have to think that Duke gives you a much greater chance at that.

Haha I actually read through your thread before I made mine. I'm still worried about the debt load but the calculations were conservative and still stayed under 200k.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:14 pm

In case you're looking for more opinions...Duke again, and not even close.

proudlypretentious

Postby proudlypretentious » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:26 pm

Welp guess I'm gonna have to write a check now. If anyone else has any other opinions I'd be glad to read them. Thanks everyone :)

Final note: I hate my username, why did I choose it :(

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:06 pm

SportsFan wrote:My understanding is you need to be top 1/3 at UT to get biglaw (or at the very least, above median), while Texas firms will dip below median for students who are from Texas at most/all T14's. FWIW, I'm a 1L at Penn, and I know at least 1 person from Texas (out of 3 in my section, IIRC) has a 1L SA there. So its definitely possible (and my understanding is, with strong ties, its the easiest market to get a 1L SA in).

It's probably something like above median from UT to have a shot at biglaw and probably something like top 40% to have a decent shot at biglaw. Most T14 people with Texas ties are probably in a better position for 1L SAs since there is a lot of competition among UT students for the spots. UT might have the most 1L SAs scattered around, but you typically will need to have pretty strong grades to be competitive. I know some T14 people (with strong Texas ties) who got 1L SAs with just mediocre grades.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”