Michigan $$ vs. Duke $$ vs. Berkeley? vs. UCLA $$$$ Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Michigan, Berkeley, UCLA, Duke, or hope for another offer?

Michigan
72%
Berkeley
12%
UCLA
4%
Duke
12%
Just chill as long as possible...
No votes

Total votes: 25

WolvesFan

New

Michigan $$ vs. Duke $$ vs. Berkeley? vs. UCLA $$$$

Post by WolvesFan » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:11 am

Hello, I'm a 0L from the Midwest who is currently living far away from the US. I have interest in public interest work, clerkship, or possibly Big Law if that will be needed to help pay back loans. I also have no undergraduate debt. I applied 16 places and have heard from all but 4, Chicago, Stanford, Harvard, and Cornell. I was accepted at the other schools aside from Yale but have narrowed it to the 4 mentioned in the subject, barring any last minute angel offers from those I'm still waiting on.

Financially it looks like this:

Berkeley- waiting on a matching grant, but assuming I don't get it debt would be- 169.5k after interest and expenses
Duke- got a scholarship, debt would be roughly 100k ...
Michigan- slightly higher scholarship than duke, debt roughly 90k ...
UCLA- got a larger scholarship, debt would be roughly $43k

The deadline for accepting offers is coming at the end of next week for duke and shortly thereafter for most of the others. Given that I can't go visit any of these schools it's hard to say the best fit but I suspect I'd feel most at home at Michigan. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

J_stack

New

Re: Michigan $$ vs. Duke $$ vs. Berkeley? vs. UCLA $$$$

Post by J_stack » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:17 am

Do you have any idea where you want to end up? If you're not interested in California, I think Berkeley and UCLA are out.

I had to make the Duke/Michigan decision last week. I picked Michigan becuase of the easy living situation, family in Michigan, and I found Ann Arbor more exciting than Durham. Also you'd probably be interested in their better LRAP.

WolvesFan

New

Post by WolvesFan » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:28 am

J_stack wrote:Do you have any idea where you want to end up? If you're not interested in California, I think Berkeley and UCLA are out.

I had to make the Duke/Michigan decision last week. I picked Michigan becuase of the easy living situation, family in Michigan, and I found Ann Arbor more exciting than Durham. Also you'd probably be interested in their better LRAP.
Thanks for the response. I don't have any particular interest in California post graduation but I would be open to it if that's what ended up happening. Having lived so far from home for a while I would prefer the Midwest though...

thatmanheisapoet

New

Post by thatmanheisapoet » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:28 am

I started this thread a few days ago that you will want to read through. I'm facing a simliar decision and our backgrounds seem also to be similar, so it should be of some help.

RhymesLikeDimes

Bronze

Post by RhymesLikeDimes » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:13 am

~$100K of debt isn't bad at all for Michigan or Duke. Whichever place you feel for comfortable going to school should dictate your choice. And, weather be damned, Ann Arbor is an incredible place to live.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:59 am

Pick between Michigan and Duke. The cost is about equal, so go with the one that you like better and which one is better for the geographic region you would like to work in.

Good luck on H, S, and Chi.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”