UF vs UPenn vs GULC vs UVA for Florida Law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

For Law In FL

UF - no debt
24
39%
UPenn - at sticker
23
37%
Duke - at sticker
4
6%
UVA - at sticker
9
15%
GULC - at sticker
0
No votes
Vandy - unknown. Potentially a minimal scholly
2
3%
 
Total votes: 62

homie1515
Posts: 116
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:08 pm

UF vs UPenn vs GULC vs UVA for Florida Law

Postby homie1515 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:05 am

The title says it all? Assuming I get into these schools next cycle (my lsat is 170, my gpa is 3.41), which one should I attend assuming I need to get back into florida to practice law? I expect a scholarship from UF, none from UPenn, GULC, UVA, or Cornell. I know that you will all say t14 or bust, but <60k of debt for law school sounds might appealing. I am from Florida and have heavy ties into the legal market down in Miami, so Miami big law would be ideal. But i would take Ft lauderdale, or Hollywood. Also, the QOL is important to me and from what i hear Gainesville is dirt cheap, and there is an abundance of sexy undergrads there.

Any insight on breaking into the Florida Legal Market from any of the schools listed would be great... thanks

New schools added.

My goals are fl big law > fl mid law > big law anywhere else

Old results where
Uf - 7
Penn - 9
Uva - 4
Gulc - 1
Last edited by homie1515 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:02 am, edited 5 times in total.

User avatar
Sheffield
Posts: 411
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:07 am

Re: UF vs UPenn vs GULC vs UVA vs Cornell for Florida Big Law

Postby Sheffield » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:33 am

Miami firms were tapping into Penn during the last go-around, unfortunately their timing was unexplainably late. Everyone I know (including myself) had to decline because of already having made other commitments. Too bad to, because Miami is a great city and firms pay market (or close to it), on top of that Miami housing has still not recovered so prices are very reasonable.

I really wasn't expecting an offer (or callback) since the belief was that Miami firms were not hiring. Let's put that rumor to rest.

homie1515
Posts: 116
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:08 pm

Re: UF vs UPenn vs GULC vs UVA vs Cornell for Florida Big Law

Postby homie1515 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:19 am

if you dont mind me asking, what was your ranking? and are you a 2L?

And i take it you think i should go to Penn?

dabbadon8
Posts: 767
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 2:17 am

Re: UF vs UPenn vs GULC vs UVA vs Cornell for Florida Big Law

Postby dabbadon8 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:53 am

You will need to be in the top 10 percent, but closer to top 10 people to have a decent shot at miami big law from UF. Still going to need good grades from t14. Plus there are very few spots, approx. 40-50 miami big law SAs, so even if you have ties and credentials you will still have to get lucky, interview well, etc. As an example, Akerman Senterfitt had a reception for non-florida school students last summer. There were at least 40 people there, mostly from t14, a good chunk from emory. They were planning on hiring 2-3 people. On top of this most florida firms offer way later than nyc or other markets so you stand a good chance of having to accept another offer before hearing back from the fl firms. All of this is to say, fl big law is a crap shoot so make sure you are comfortable doing/being somewhere else.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: UF vs UPenn vs GULC vs UVA vs Cornell for Florida Big Law

Postby rad lulz » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:07 am

So you haven't even applied?

Get back to us when you get in and see how much $ you get

homie1515
Posts: 116
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:08 pm

Re: UF vs UPenn vs GULC vs UVA vs Cornell for Florida Big Law

Postby homie1515 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:16 am

No I havent applied yet, as im waiting to retake the lsat. I just was looking for some opinions before i have to make my decision and hopefully get some good reasoning why UF or why not UF (besides the top10% rule) so i can think about it even longer and harder.

For all intents and purposes, I am going to have a full ride to UF, as even if i dont receive any scholly from them my family will give me a grant for the total cost to just stay in FL.

So the question becomes: UF with no debt; UPenn at sticker; GULC at sticker; UVA at sticker.

dm52013
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:25 am

Re: UF vs UPenn vs GULC vs UVA vs Cornell for Florida Big Law

Postby dm52013 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:36 am

I made a decision like this a few years ago. I ended up going to a top school at sticker over free at UF and FSU. It worked out fine- have a job paying market (for Florida)- but I had a hell of a time getting interviews (compared to others that stayed in state).

I wasn't interested in Miami and of all the Fla markets Miami values top schools the most. If you aren't sure you want Miami and would take a job in Tampa, WP, or Orlando, I would think twice about taking any of these schools at sticker over UF.

FWIW UF is stingy about money. I knew people with numbers similar to yours that didn't get a dime.

And if you hate large firm work, the debt sucks. There is a lot to be said to having the freedom to choose different career options. But if you are positive you want firm work, you would be alright financially.
Last edited by dm52013 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

homie1515
Posts: 116
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:08 pm

Re: UF vs UPenn vs GULC vs UVA vs Cornell for Florida Big Law

Postby homie1515 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:41 am

So for Miami, take top 14 at sticker? Is it that much easier to secure interviews from UF/FSU, and if it is im assuming its just more difficult to land the jobs. Do you know anyone from UF at your current job? Or anyone that got jobs in the miami (s.fl) market from UF? Do you mind if i PM you with some questions?

dm52013
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:25 am

Re: UF vs UPenn vs GULC vs UVA vs Cornell for Florida Big Law

Postby dm52013 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:43 am

homie1515 wrote:So for Miami, take top 14 at sticker? Is it that much easier to secure interviews from UF/FSU, and if it is im assuming its just more difficult to land the jobs. Do you know anyone from UF at your current job? Or anyone that got jobs in the miami (s.fl) market from UF? Do you mind if i PM you with some questions?


PM away.

homie1515
Posts: 116
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:08 pm

Re: UF vs UPenn vs GULC vs UVA for Florida Big Law

Postby homie1515 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:21 pm

anyone else have any insight?

homie1515
Posts: 116
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:08 pm

Re: UF vs UPenn vs GULC vs UVA for Florida Big Law

Postby homie1515 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:41 pm

I constantly read on this website that if you dont get any (i.e. substantial) money from a t-14, then you should go to the best local school that feeds the area that you wish to work. So, why is Florida any different? I understand that there are a lot of schools in FL, but doesn't going to the best 1 mean something? And what if I dont need big law, and I would be happy with mid law getting 70-80k a year in a city that isn't Miami? Would your recommendations still hold, or would you change your opinion? Because 80k/year with no debt sounds an awful like 120k with 3k/month debt... doesn't it?

Please correct me if im wrong or if my thinking is far off because thats why i come to you guys...

I'm just trying to get an idea

Thanks

badaboom61
Posts: 404
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:36 pm

Re: UF vs UPenn vs GULC vs UVA for Florida Big Law

Postby badaboom61 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:54 pm

homie1515 wrote:I constantly read on this website that if you dont get any (i.e. substantial) money from a t-14, then you should go to the best local school that feeds the area that you wish to work.

Thanks


This is not necessarily true. For many people getting a biglaw job out of Penn or UVA with a mountain of debt is a better option than graduating unemployed from UF with no debt.

The Florida market is terrible. UF gives you a very low chance of getting a decent job anywhere. Going to UVA or Penn would you give a very low chance of getting biglaw in Florida, but a very decent chance of getting biglaw somewhere. I think OP's best option is to go to one of these schools, try to get Florida, but understand that it's unlikely so he should plan on working as a lawyer in a different market like DC or NYC for a bit and then trying to lateral.

dabbadon8
Posts: 767
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 2:17 am

Re: UF vs UPenn vs GULC vs UVA for Florida Law

Postby dabbadon8 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:01 am

Midlaw is firms like gunster, bilzin and fowler white. They are not noticibly less competitive and pay six figures. There really isn't a middle ground between the top jobs and shitlaw.

User avatar
moonman157
Posts: 1039
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:26 pm

Re: UF vs UPenn vs GULC vs UVA for Florida Law

Postby moonman157 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:27 am

For you, is it

FL Biglaw > FL Job > Biglaw elsewhere

or

FL Biglaw > Biglaw elsewhere > FL job?

homie1515
Posts: 116
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:08 pm

Re: UF vs UPenn vs GULC vs UVA for Florida Law

Postby homie1515 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:54 am

If I have no debt holding me back I'd say that I'd prefer fl big law >fl legal job (making 70k+) > big law anywhere else, obviously if I chose sticker at one of those places I'll be required to do fl big law> big law anywhere else > fl job

sflyr2016
Posts: 290
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:47 am

Re: UF vs UPenn vs GULC vs UVA for Florida Law

Postby sflyr2016 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:27 am

I too am from Florida (Miami) and got into UM/UF/FSU. I also got into BC with some money that covers about 1/3 tuition, and outside of the t14's, BC is consistently among the best schools for biglaw prospects. I ruled out FSU and UF because I figure that if I stay in FL I might as well stay in the market I intend to practice. So I narrowed it down to UM with a little over 1/2 tuition scholarship and a reduced cost of living because I can stay at home, or BC as a chance to get away for a bit (since I stayed for UG) and hopefully have more options leaving 3l yr. I too want to practice here in Fl, and would choose: Fl biglaw> Fl midlaw> biglaw elsewhere.

Am I over looking the other FL schools?

As far as your potential options, given you are accepted to those schools, I would do Penn> Duke> UVA> GULC with some money (I would not pay sticker at GULC)> Vandy with some money> Emory with money> UF/UM (with money, too expensive otherwise)/FSU. One thing that I will say about UF that may be worth some thought is just how competitive it is (from what I have heard). I have a lot of friends and a cousin that got into top tier schools and turned them down to go to UF for free or sticker with in state tuition. Plenty of people who want to practice in Florida and are from here, turn down top-tier schools and go to UF. The reason I mention this is that given how competitive the FL market is, I do not think UF is giving you any substantial boost with the big firms that the other Fl schools aren't (for UF/UM/FSU it seems like you need to be within the top 10%); but, it's flooded with kids that are just as smart and as ambitious, if not more, than you are. My cousin had similar numbers to you and turned down top tier schools to go to UF, and he is struggling to stay among the top 1/3 of his class. Just something worth considering. At least I am.

homie1515
Posts: 116
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:08 pm

Re: UF vs UPenn vs GULC vs UVA for Florida Law

Postby homie1515 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:46 am

Thank you. This is why I made this post. For people to share their experiences with me. And i appreciate your candor in such a matter. As far as your options and discounting the other Florida schools, assuming you are in state then I think you would be doing a disservice to not include UF or at least FSU in your thoughts. Um has a huge class size and usually very connected students (I attended ug there) so your vying essentially for spots that were already given to other students and competing against a lot more to do well. I also remember reading that UF job prospects trumps UMs.

As far you you said about students turning down top tier schools for UF, why do you think that is? I've heard from the board that you just need to be median at a top school to have a shot at Florida law (assuming you have substantial ties and aren't a retard when it comes to interviews).

As far as vandy goes, I never considered it because I figured it is a regional degree and not from the state I want to end up in so if fl doesn't work out I'm shit out of luck for big law anywhere else (same as with uf but I think uf holds more clout in Florida than vandy does). Correct me if I'm wrong.

envisciguy
Posts: 311
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:15 pm

Re: UF vs UPenn vs GULC vs UVA for Florida Law

Postby envisciguy » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:16 pm

homie1515 wrote:Thank you. This is why I made this post. For people to share their experiences with me. And i appreciate your candor in such a matter. As far as your options and discounting the other Florida schools, assuming you are in state then I think you would be doing a disservice to not include UF or at least FSU in your thoughts. Um has a huge class size and usually very connected students (I attended ug there) so your vying essentially for spots that were already given to other students and competing against a lot more to do well. I also remember reading that UF job prospects trumps UMs.

As far you you said about students turning down top tier schools for UF, why do you think that is? I've heard from the board that you just need to be median at a top school to have a shot at Florida law (assuming you have substantial ties and aren't a retard when it comes to interviews).

As far as vandy goes, I never considered it because I figured it is a regional degree and not from the state I want to end up in so if fl doesn't work out I'm shit out of luck for big law anywhere else (same as with uf but I think uf holds more clout in Florida than vandy does). Correct me if I'm wrong.


I don't think that's right. If you have comparable students at UF and Vandy applying for the job and the Vandy student has ties to FL, he will likely get the job. They'd probably dip deeper into the class at Vandy too.

User avatar
MyNameIsFlynn!
Posts: 785
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:29 pm

Re: UF vs UPenn vs GULC vs UVA for Florida Law

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:32 pm

homie1515 wrote:As far as vandy goes, I never considered it because I figured it is a regional degree and not from the state I want to end up in so if fl doesn't work out I'm shit out of luck for big law anywhere else (same as with uf but I think uf holds more clout in Florida than vandy does). Correct me if I'm wrong.


What region do you think Vandy is in? What region do you think Florida is in?

SportsFan
Posts: 722
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:26 pm

Re: UF vs UPenn vs GULC vs UVA for Florida Law

Postby SportsFan » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:37 pm

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:
homie1515 wrote:As far as vandy goes, I never considered it because I figured it is a regional degree and not from the state I want to end up in so if fl doesn't work out I'm shit out of luck for big law anywhere else (same as with uf but I think uf holds more clout in Florida than vandy does). Correct me if I'm wrong.


What region do you think Vandy is in? What region do you think Florida is in?

tbf, I don't think a lot of people consider Florida (especially south Florida) to be part of 'the south'.

sflyr2016
Posts: 290
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:47 am

Re: UF vs UPenn vs GULC vs UVA for Florida Law

Postby sflyr2016 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:46 pm

homie1515 wrote:Thank you. This is why I made this post. For people to share their experiences with me. And i appreciate your candor in such a matter. As far as your options and discounting the other Florida schools, assuming you are in state then I think you would be doing a disservice to not include UF or at least FSU in your thoughts. Um has a huge class size and usually very connected students (I attended ug there) so your vying essentially for spots that were already given to other students and competing against a lot more to do well. I also remember reading that UF job prospects trumps UMs.

As far as you you said about students turning down top tier schools for UF, why do you think that is? I've heard from the board that you just need to be median at a top school to have a shot at Florida law (assuming you have substantial ties and aren't a retard when it comes to interviews).

As far as vandy goes, I never considered it because I figured it is a regional degree and not from the state I want to end up in so if fl doesn't work out I'm shit out of luck for big law anywhere else (same as with uf but I think uf holds more clout in Florida than vandy does). Correct me if I'm wrong.


Hey thanks for your input. You are right, I should consider UF and FSU more. I haven't ruled them out entirely and planned a visit to both in two weeks and also a meet with the dean of financial aid. As far as why they do this (pick UF over higher ranked schools) well, I think that most of them either just missed the t14's and were b/w t30's with some money, or Florida schools for free or close to it, and preferred the latter because they read too many horror stories on these forums. Those who got into the t14's and still chose UF probably did not want to pay sticker and probably aren't completely sold on biglaw.

As far as Vanderbilt, I think that the reputation the schools carry in Florida is not very relevant (I would wager that most state judges and non biglaw attorney's think that UF is ranked higher than Vanderbilt and GULC lol). What is most relevant is which firms visit these schools. Every major Florida firm will heavily recruit out of Duke/UVA/Vandy. They also love Penn. My cousin went to GULC, graduated in the top 3% of his class and ended up at W&C. However, a buddy of his who also from Miami cannot find anything what soever and he was above the median. So, no, no one below median is going to have a fun time in Florida, at least from what I hear. But, a degree from GULC will probably open doors int he DC/NYC market and you can always lateral back down. To be honest, my cousin did not see much of a difference between GULC and BC, in that they are comparable in biglaw placement and carry a great reputation in the northeast. But, I know that most of the big firms do OCI at GULC where as in BC very few do. Emory is good, I think it's like a BC but for the south, in that it holds weight in it's respective region, but doesn't dominate it either. Then there's UF/UM/FSU... Rankings aside, and other areas of law not considered, I think that it will take strong connections, amazing grades, and a little bit of luck for biglaw from these schools. I do think that big Florida based firms like Gray-Robinson, Gunster, Sterns Weaver, Shutts, etc. may even prefer these Florida schools because your network as their alumni should help them given their focus as primarily Florida firms... But that's me assuming, and also looking at their recent SA's. Then again, it may just be the offers are often rejected by t14 students and snatched up by Fl kids... Probably a mix of both.

If I were you, I would do my best to get into Penn Duke and Vanderbilt, and put them against each other to hopefully have one outbid the other to the point where you have a balance of a great school at a great price. Both Penn and Duke will give you strong placement in the South and NYC, Vanderbilt will to but to a lesser degree.

Feel free to correct me on anything I said that you disagree with, I too face a somewhat similar decision. Of course, they are not as good as your options will probably be, but similar in some respects.

homie1515
Posts: 116
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:08 pm

Re: UF vs UPenn vs GULC vs UVA for Florida Law

Postby homie1515 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:12 pm

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:
homie1515 wrote:As far as vandy goes, I never considered it because I figured it is a regional degree and not from the state I want to end up in so if fl doesn't work out I'm shit out of luck for big law anywhere else (same as with uf but I think uf holds more clout in Florida than vandy does). Correct me if I'm wrong.


What region do you think Vandy is in? What region do you think Florida is in?



I know its in the south but i assumed that if a school isnt in the t-14 then they really only have clout in their own state... I'm now assuming this was wrong on my part.

joeant wrote:Hey thanks for your input. You are right, I should consider UF and FSU more. I haven't ruled them out entirely and planned a visit to both in two weeks and also a meet with the dean of financial aid. As far as why they do this (pick UF over higher ranked schools) well, I think that most of them either just missed the t14's and were b/w t30's with some money, or Florida schools for free or close to it, and preferred the latter because they read too many horror stories on these forums. Those who got into the t14's and still chose UF probably did not want to pay sticker and probably aren't completely sold on biglaw.

As far as Vanderbilt, I think that the reputation the schools carry in Florida is not very relevant (I would wager that most state judges and non biglaw attorney's think that UF is ranked higher than Vanderbilt and GULC lol). What is most relevant is which firms visit these schools. Every major Florida firm will heavily recruit out of Duke/UVA/Vandy. They also love Penn. My cousin went to GULC, graduated in the top 3% of his class and ended up at W&C. However, a buddy of his who also from Miami cannot find anything what soever and he was above the median. So, no, no one below median is going to have a fun time in Florida, at least from what I hear. But, a degree from GULC will probably open doors int he DC/NYC market and you can always lateral back down. To be honest, My cousin did not see much of a difference between GULC and BC, in that they are comparable in biglaw placement and carry a great reputation in the northeast. But, I know that most of the big firms do OCI at GULC where as in BC very few do. Emory is good, I think it's like a BC but for the south, in that it holds weight in it's respective region, but doesn't dominate it either. Then there's UF/UM/FSU... Rankings aside, and other areas of law not considered, I think that it will take strong connections, amazing grades, and a little bit of luck for biglaw from these schools. I do think that big Florida based firms like Gray-Robinson, Gunster, Sterns Weaver, Shutts, etc. may even prefer these Florida schools because your network as their alumni should help them given their focus as primarily Florida firms... But that's me assuming, and also looking at their recent SA's. Then again, it may just be the offers are often rejected by t14 students and snatched up by Fl kids... Probably a mix of both.

If I were you, I would do my best to get into Penn Duke and Vanderbilt, and put them against each other to hopefully have one outbid the other to the point where you have a balance of a great school at a great price. Both Penn and Duke will give you strong placement in the South and NYC, Vanderbilt will to but to a lesser degree.

Feel free to correct me on anything I said that you disagree with, I too face a somewhat similar decision. Of course, they are not as good as your options will probably be, but similar in some respects.


Thank you again for your input. I guess I will send an app to Vandy now as well. And Duke also, but i hear they have a GPA floor that my 3.41 doesn't quite reach.

Duke and Vandy I understand as they are regionally close to FL, but where does UVA come in?

So my outlook seems to be Penn (Sticker) > UVA (Sticker) > Duke (Sticker) > Vandy (Sticker/ Some Schooly) > FL (No debt), or in other words, their current ranking, but i do not know if i can justify paying sticker for a school that is not in the top 14 (vandy). All with the goal of eventually ending up at Big Law in Miami/Ft Lauderdale/WPB, even if that means taking a Big Law job in NYC or DC (Much preferred than NYC) then lateraling out to Miami. Does this seem correct?

User avatar
WokeUpInACar
Posts: 5513
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:11 pm

Re: UF vs UPenn vs GULC vs UVA for Florida Law

Postby WokeUpInACar » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:14 pm

You will not be paying anywhere near sticker at Vandy with a 170 and a 3.4

sflyr2016
Posts: 290
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:47 am

Re: UF vs UPenn vs GULC vs UVA for Florida Law

Postby sflyr2016 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:26 pm

homie1515 wrote:
MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:
homie1515 wrote:As far as vandy goes, I never considered it because I figured it is a regional degree and not from the state I want to end up in so if fl doesn't work out I'm shit out of luck for big law anywhere else (same as with uf but I think uf holds more clout in Florida than vandy does). Correct me if I'm wrong.


What region do you think Vandy is in? What region do you think Florida is in?



I know its in the south but i assumed that if a school isnt in the t-14 then they really only have clout in their own state... I'm now assuming this was wrong on my part.

joeant wrote:Hey thanks for your input. You are right, I should consider UF and FSU more. I haven't ruled them out entirely and planned a visit to both in two weeks and also a meet with the dean of financial aid. As far as why they do this (pick UF over higher ranked schools) well, I think that most of them either just missed the t14's and were b/w t30's with some money, or Florida schools for free or close to it, and preferred the latter because they read too many horror stories on these forums. Those who got into the t14's and still chose UF probably did not want to pay sticker and probably aren't completely sold on biglaw.

As far as Vanderbilt, I think that the reputation the schools carry in Florida is not very relevant (I would wager that most state judges and non biglaw attorney's think that UF is ranked higher than Vanderbilt and GULC lol). What is most relevant is which firms visit these schools. Every major Florida firm will heavily recruit out of Duke/UVA/Vandy. They also love Penn. My cousin went to GULC, graduated in the top 3% of his class and ended up at W&C. However, a buddy of his who also from Miami cannot find anything what soever and he was above the median. So, no, no one below median is going to have a fun time in Florida, at least from what I hear. But, a degree from GULC will probably open doors int he DC/NYC market and you can always lateral back down. To be honest, My cousin did not see much of a difference between GULC and BC, in that they are comparable in biglaw placement and carry a great reputation in the northeast. But, I know that most of the big firms do OCI at GULC where as in BC very few do. Emory is good, I think it's like a BC but for the south, in that it holds weight in it's respective region, but doesn't dominate it either. Then there's UF/UM/FSU... Rankings aside, and other areas of law not considered, I think that it will take strong connections, amazing grades, and a little bit of luck for biglaw from these schools. I do think that big Florida based firms like Gray-Robinson, Gunster, Sterns Weaver, Shutts, etc. may even prefer these Florida schools because your network as their alumni should help them given their focus as primarily Florida firms... But that's me assuming, and also looking at their recent SA's. Then again, it may just be the offers are often rejected by t14 students and snatched up by Fl kids... Probably a mix of both.

If I were you, I would do my best to get into Penn Duke and Vanderbilt, and put them against each other to hopefully have one outbid the other to the point where you have a balance of a great school at a great price. Both Penn and Duke will give you strong placement in the South and NYC, Vanderbilt will to but to a lesser degree.

Feel free to correct me on anything I said that you disagree with, I too face a somewhat similar decision. Of course, they are not as good as your options will probably be, but similar in some respects.


Thank you again for your input. I guess I will send an app to Vandy now as well. And Duke also, but i hear they have a GPA floor that my 3.41 doesn't quite reach.

Duke and Vandy I understand as they are regionally close to FL, but where does UVA come in?

So my outlook seems to be Penn (Sticker) > UVA (Sticker) > Duke (Sticker) > Vandy (Sticker/ Some Schooly) > FL (No debt), or in other words, their current ranking, but i do not know if i can justify paying sticker for a school that is not in the top 14 (vandy). All with the goal of eventually ending up at Big Law in Miami/Ft Lauderdale/WPB, even if that means taking a Big Law job in NYC or DC (Much preferred than NYC) then lateraling out to Miami. Does this seem correct?


Same thing here. I also have strong connections down here and only wish to practice here. But you will have better options given your score. I would target Duke over UVA personally, because Duke is better known down here, also I am a basketball fan so there's that. Don't worry about GPA floors, admissions are not calculated, if so a computer would pick them. There will always be a human element to it and you will soon experience how sometimes admissions will or will not make sense. In your case, don't be surprised to get into GULC but not Vanderbilt, etc. Given you score, and our like minded interests, I would say abandon that t14 mentality, think more in lines of where FL firms recruit. In that case, target all the top schools, with a special focus on Penn, Duke, UVA, Vanderibilt, and Emory. I would, personally, try my best to get Duke at a reduced cost, or Vandy/Emory at half or better, and UF/FSU/UM for free. If you get UM for free, I would take it over UF for free, personally.

homie1515
Posts: 116
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:08 pm

Re: UF vs UPenn vs GULC vs UVA for Florida Law

Postby homie1515 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:00 pm

joeant wrote:
homie1515 wrote:
MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:
homie1515 wrote:As far as vandy goes, I never considered it because I figured it is a regional degree and not from the state I want to end up in so if fl doesn't work out I'm shit out of luck for big law anywhere else (same as with uf but I think uf holds more clout in Florida than vandy does). Correct me if I'm wrong.


What region do you think Vandy is in? What region do you think Florida is in?



I know its in the south but i assumed that if a school isnt in the t-14 then they really only have clout in their own state... I'm now assuming this was wrong on my part.

joeant wrote:Hey thanks for your input. You are right, I should consider UF and FSU more. I haven't ruled them out entirely and planned a visit to both in two weeks and also a meet with the dean of financial aid. As far as why they do this (pick UF over higher ranked schools) well, I think that most of them either just missed the t14's and were b/w t30's with some money, or Florida schools for free or close to it, and preferred the latter because they read too many horror stories on these forums. Those who got into the t14's and still chose UF probably did not want to pay sticker and probably aren't completely sold on biglaw.

As far as Vanderbilt, I think that the reputation the schools carry in Florida is not very relevant (I would wager that most state judges and non biglaw attorney's think that UF is ranked higher than Vanderbilt and GULC lol). What is most relevant is which firms visit these schools. Every major Florida firm will heavily recruit out of Duke/UVA/Vandy. They also love Penn. My cousin went to GULC, graduated in the top 3% of his class and ended up at W&C. However, a buddy of his who also from Miami cannot find anything what soever and he was above the median. So, no, no one below median is going to have a fun time in Florida, at least from what I hear. But, a degree from GULC will probably open doors int he DC/NYC market and you can always lateral back down. To be honest, My cousin did not see much of a difference between GULC and BC, in that they are comparable in biglaw placement and carry a great reputation in the northeast. But, I know that most of the big firms do OCI at GULC where as in BC very few do. Emory is good, I think it's like a BC but for the south, in that it holds weight in it's respective region, but doesn't dominate it either. Then there's UF/UM/FSU... Rankings aside, and other areas of law not considered, I think that it will take strong connections, amazing grades, and a little bit of luck for biglaw from these schools. I do think that big Florida based firms like Gray-Robinson, Gunster, Sterns Weaver, Shutts, etc. may even prefer these Florida schools because your network as their alumni should help them given their focus as primarily Florida firms... But that's me assuming, and also looking at their recent SA's. Then again, it may just be the offers are often rejected by t14 students and snatched up by Fl kids... Probably a mix of both.

If I were you, I would do my best to get into Penn Duke and Vanderbilt, and put them against each other to hopefully have one outbid the other to the point where you have a balance of a great school at a great price. Both Penn and Duke will give you strong placement in the South and NYC, Vanderbilt will to but to a lesser degree.

Feel free to correct me on anything I said that you disagree with, I too face a somewhat similar decision. Of course, they are not as good as your options will probably be, but similar in some respects.


Thank you again for your input. I guess I will send an app to Vandy now as well. And Duke also, but i hear they have a GPA floor that my 3.41 doesn't quite reach.

Duke and Vandy I understand as they are regionally close to FL, but where does UVA come in?

So my outlook seems to be Penn (Sticker) > UVA (Sticker) > Duke (Sticker) > Vandy (Sticker/ Some Schooly) > FL (No debt), or in other words, their current ranking, but i do not know if i can justify paying sticker for a school that is not in the top 14 (vandy). All with the goal of eventually ending up at Big Law in Miami/Ft Lauderdale/WPB, even if that means taking a Big Law job in NYC or DC (Much preferred than NYC) then lateraling out to Miami. Does this seem correct?


Same thing here. I also have strong connections down here and only wish to practice here. But you will have better options given your score. I would target Duke over UVA personally, because Duke is better known down here, also I am a basketball fan so there's that. Don't worry about GPA floors, admissions are not calculated, if so a computer would pick them. There will always be a human element to it and you will soon experience how sometimes admissions will or will not make sense. In your case, don't be surprised to get into GULC but not Vanderbilt, etc. Given you score, and our like minded interests, I would say abandon that t14 mentality, think more in lines of where FL firms recruit. In that case, target all the top schools, with a special focus on Penn, Duke, UVA, Vanderibilt, and Emory. I would, personally, try my best to get Duke at a reduced cost, or Vandy/Emory at half or better, and UF/FSU/UM for free. If you get UM for free, I would take it over UF for free, personally.


Herein lies the other issue. To get into Penn i would need to ED there. same with UVA, Idk about Dukes ED. But I planned on ED to Penn immediately, then EDing to UVA if im rejected at Penn, then I guess i can ED to Duke after that? Or before EDing to UVA because UVA has a rolling ED system? Ill need to do more research as far as ED to Duke is concerned though.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media and 3 guests