Penn vs. Chicago vs. UVA for Texas Biglaw

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
cruxisfalcon

Penn vs. Chicago vs. UVA for Texas Biglaw

Postby cruxisfalcon » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:57 pm

Assume modest $$ at all three.

I know Chicago and Penn are ranked higher, but I've heard that UVA has some good connections to TX. Any suggestions? Texas is my main priority, although I haven't ruled NY entirely out.

dr123

Re: Penn vs. Chicago vs. UVA for Texas Biglaw

Postby dr123 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:57 pm

What about UT?

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:12 pm

UT.

But if that is not an option I'd say Chicago. All the Texas kids have crushed it (1L SAs, etc) and there is a Texas Law Society specifically set up to help students who want to return to TX.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:40 pm

Definitely Chicago.

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:05 pm

cruxisfalcon wrote:Assume modest $$ at all three.

I know Chicago and Penn are ranked higher, but I've heard that UVA has some good connections to TX. Any suggestions? Texas is my main priority, although I haven't ruled NY entirely out.

Whats your COA at each? Also, do you have ties to Texas? If you're from Texas, you'll be able to get biglaw there from below median at any of these schools.

ihp12

Postby ihp12 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:01 pm

Penn.

I think all three have equal access to Texas, or at least no significant difference. And Penn is the best of those three for NY.

If UT is an option, its a tough choice. UT has half the big law placement of Penn, but UT gives you access to a bunch of quality but not national Texas firms that don't OCI at Penn and the like (think TK and Jackson Walker).

However, I think this is balanced somewhat by the fact that at UT everyone wants Texas, but there's very little competition at the others for Texas. For example at Penn, baker botts didn't even fill up all its OCI slots. That would never happen at UT.

The Brainalist

Postby The Brainalist » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:34 pm

This is pretty dated, but maybe someone else can find something similar for a recent year:

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/inde ... =4016101.0

To me it suggests that, per capita, outside of Texas schools, the Texas T14 per capita placement is best out of UVA by a longshot, then Chicago, then Harvard and Columbia, after which it drops a lot for the rest of the T14. I'm sure there's a lot of self-selection, yada yada yada, but it is at least safe to say that Chicago would not be a bad choice.

Mad Hatter

Postby Mad Hatter » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:46 pm

Emma. wrote:UT.

But if that is not an option I'd say Chicago. All the Texas kids have crushed it (1L SAs, etc) and there is a Texas Law Society specifically set up to help students who want to return to TX.

Greenandgold

Postby Greenandgold » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:03 am

Mad Hatter wrote:
Emma. wrote:UT.

This. I'm at Chicago and from Texas. If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me.

Every member of the Texas Law Society that's a 1L and from Texas has a summer associate job lined up. 7 out of the 30 people in my section will be in Houston this summer at firms. 3 of them aren't even from Texas. Whatever the price difference between Chicago and the other 2 schools is, you need to take into account a 1L SA and the chances of getting them at those schools. As long as you're fairly normal and from Texas you'll get one out of Chicago.

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:07 am

I'm currently at UT and would be happy to answer questions about the school or the texas legal market. I assume you'd have a ton of money from UT. A lot of money and the fact that some great firms likely don't do OCI at chicago (not just the aforementioned TK, but I also assume a few of the good boutiques like Yetter and Gibbs don't either) could make up for the increased risk.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”