Chicago (75k) vs Columbia Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which would you choose?

Chicago obviously.
93%
Go for Columbia!
7%

Total votes: 107

hephaestus

Gold

Re: Chicago (75k) vs Columbia

Post by hephaestus » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:19 am

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:When you are sitting at the exact same firm you would have gone to if you attending u of c, and look at your 300k loan amount you will feel pretty fucking stupid.
This.
It would be udderly rediculous to pick Columbia here.
Edit: I can't spell.
Last edited by hephaestus on Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

bruinfan10

Silver

Post by bruinfan10 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:32 am

ImNoScar wrote:
FlightoftheEarls wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:When you are sitting at the exact same firm you would have gone to if you attending u of c, and look at your 300k loan amount you will feel pretty fucking stupid.
This.
It would be utterly rediculous to pick Columbia here.
Your spelling is terrible. It's supposed to be "udderly rediculous."

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:56 am

bizzybone1313 wrote:OP, can you come back to TLS and tell us what you eventually decide? I am eager to hear what you end up doing. I feel ya on Columbia. Columbia>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Chicago. But $75K is a lot of money to turn down.
Lol almost a full year of your HYSCLS trolling now

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:23 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:Strange. Columbia gave me more $ than Chicago.

Hey, if you really want to be in new york and want the best shot at nyc firm jobs at a lower cost, why not go to NYU? Im certain they will match the 75K.

At the end of the day, if your willing to spend the extra money, do what you want to do. Most people including me would take Chicago here, but Columbia at sticker is still a "fine" choice IMO in an absolute sense.
Lolno
What makes you say this? Of course its not 100%, but in my experience the NYU finaid people were flexible and would definitely consider enticing a student away from chicago with money.

I can personally attest to this for 2 different people. Its worth a shot.

dissonance1848

Silver

Post by dissonance1848 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:54 am

The only choice here is Chicago, OP. Seriously

Oh, and for those folks saying that CLS had the edge on UofC for NYC biglaw.....

Just checked NLJ250 list of firms and school placement...... and UofC beat CLS by 1-2% of the class at the top Vault firms, from V5 inclusive to V20 inclusive, they have the same placement...... like I said, the only choice is Chicago.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RhymesLikeDimes

Bronze

Post by RhymesLikeDimes » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:22 am

If this was $15K you might be able to justify Columbia, but this isn't even close.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:56 am

Chicago is the obvious answer here.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:41 pm

No NYU $$?

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:13 pm

dissonance1848 wrote: Just checked NLJ250 list of firms and school placement...... and UofC beat CLS by 1-2% of the class at the top Vault firms, from V5 inclusive to V20 inclusive, they have the same placement...... like I said, the only choice is Chicago.
Link? Didn't know they published specific firm recruitment data

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MatMat

New

Post by MatMat » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:44 pm

sinfiery wrote:
jselson wrote: e: Although I don't know how much Columbia outplaces Chicago for V10. After controlling for size, I wonder if there's a substantial difference.
For the v5 there is, even after class size considerations. Pretty significant, too. Self selection could easily explain the difference I'd imagine though.
Yeah -- please ask the 5% of the graduating class (2013) that's going to: Susman, Bartlit Beck, Kellog Huber, Covington, Munger, W&C and the other 7% that's going to Kirkland Chicago why they self selected out of V5/10/20 firms, because it sure wasn't because V5's weren't willing to hire them. This info confirmed from our "who worked where list."

And this is on top of 9.4% who DID decide to go to V5's (see: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=187451).

I normally don't get involved in these "where should I go threads" but the blather going on about how much easier V10 is from Columbia is just ridiculous--not that V10 is a meaningful distinction in the first place, but whatever.

Borg

Bronze

Post by Borg » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:42 pm

Chicago is definitely the answer here, but the people who are claiming that the two are different in terms of employment opportunities are crazy and very, very wrong. I don't think it's a bad decision to turn down a scholarship from lower T-14 schools for either of these, but in this situation unless you have some real need to be in New York, I think you'd be crazy not to take Chicago.

bizzybone1313

Silver

Post by bizzybone1313 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:35 am

Crowing wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:OP, can you come back to TLS and tell us what you eventually decide? I am eager to hear what you end up doing. I feel ya on Columbia. Columbia>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Chicago. But $75K is a lot of money to turn down.
I rarely give advice to people who are trying to decide between schools. It is not my place for me to distribute advice to people. However, I have to make exceptions in certain cases and this is one of them.

It will always be HYSC for me. If I get into Columbia next year, it would take a whole lot for me to not attend. I have a friend that is an ADA in Manhattan. I will sleep on his motherfucking couch to save on my COA and I am not joking. I am not paying $2K-$3K a month in NYC. I paid $1,098 for an ENTIRE SEMESTER at my undergrad. I wasn't trying to impress anyone. If the girls that I invited over to my dorm room didn't like it, there was always another one. I can't stand other people making $$$ off of me. Those COA figures some of you guys post are beyond ridiculous.

OP, if I was in your shoes and didn't have political ambitions, I would take Chicago every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Chicago is trying to lure you away from all of these other highly enticing places. Come back on TLS and tells us what you ended up deciding. These threads usually end by the OP not even telling everyone where they went, which does a huge disservice to future TLS'ers. What is the point of asking for all of this advice and it only helping you out?

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:23 am

bizzybone1313 wrote:
Crowing wrote:
I rarely give advice to people who are trying to decide between schools. It is not my place for me to distribute advice to people. However, I have to make exceptions in certain cases and this is one of them.

It will always be HYSC for me. If I get into Columbia next year, it would take a whole lot for me to not attend. I have a friend that is an ADA in Manhattan. I will sleep on his motherfucking couch to save on my COA and I am not joking. I am not paying $2K-$3K a month in NYC. I paid $1,098 for an ENTIRE SEMESTER at my undergrad. I wasn't trying to impress anyone. If the girls that I invited over to my dorm room didn't like it, there was always another one. I can't stand other people making $$$ off of me. Those COA figures some of you guys post are beyond ridiculous.

OP, if I was in your shoes and didn't have political ambitions, I would take Chicago every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Chicago is trying to lure you away from all of these other highly enticing places. Come back on TLS and tells us what you ended up deciding. These threads usually end by the OP not even telling everyone where they went, which does a huge disservice to future TLS'ers. What is the point of asking for all of this advice and it only helping you out?
First, no one cares about your life story, so you can stop giving it in every thread. Second, you didn't live off of 1k for a semester if you had a dorm room, because other significant COA numbers (rent, utilities) were covered. If my only expenses were food my coa would be about 1k too. Third, you're a 0L. You don't have an lsat score and have not been through any stage of the admissions process, much less the legal hiring process, and your advice isn't based on the readily available statistics but rather some misguided "I want to be Marco Rubio" schtick. Basically, what I'm saying is you don't know what the fuck you are talking about and you need to shut up.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

fitz.

New

Post by fitz. » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:12 pm

Thanks for the input guys. I've sent a second appeal to Columbia including the rest of my scholarship offers from the T14, though I'm not all that hopeful. If they don't offer upwards of 30k, I'll be going to Chicago this fall. I really like Columbia, but not enough to justify spending an unnecessary 100k+ (and this thread confirmed I'd be pretty stupid to do so).

bizzybone1313

Silver

Post by bizzybone1313 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:31 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:
Crowing wrote:

First, no one cares about your life story, so you can stop giving it in every thread. Second, you didn't live off of 1k for a semester if you had a dorm room, because other significant COA numbers (rent, utilities) were covered. If my only expenses were food my coa would be about 1k too. Third, you're a 0L. You don't have an lsat score and have not been through any stage of the admissions process, much less the legal hiring process, and your advice isn't based on the readily available statistics but rather some misguided "I want to be Marco Rubio" schtick. Basically, what I'm saying is you don't know what the fuck you are talking about and you need to shut up.
#1. No where in this post in THIS thread did I post my life story. It is you among a couple of other fools that keep bringing this shit up. I read your responses the first time. I only responded in that particular manner in that thread, because it is more than a little upsetting listening to a bunch of overprivileged brats telling me my thread about financial aid is stupid. #2. I don't dispense advice like you and a bunch of other clowns do. I rarely post in any of these types of threads. I didn't give OP bad advice. #3. You are a 0L too and constantly post to the tune of 3,000+ posts. I know you have better things to do than waste that much time posting. #4. Oh-- and fuck Marco Rubio-- I idolize Pres. Obama. You are wrong on that point too.

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:35 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:
#1. No where in this post in THIS thread did I post my life story. It is you among a couple of other fools that keep bringing this shit up. I read your responses the first time. I only responded in that particular manner in that thread, because it is more than a little upsetting listening to a bunch of overprivileged brats telling me my thread about financial aid is stupid. #2. I don't dispense advice like you and a bunch of other clowns do. I rarely post in any of these types of threads. I didn't give OP bad advice. #3. You are a 0L too and constantly post to the tune of 3,000+ posts. I know you have better things to do than waste that much time posting. #4. Oh-- and fuck Marco Rubio-- I idolize Pres. Obama. You are wrong on that point too.
I concentrate all of my posts on TLS, instead of spreading it to forums dedicated to mediocre rap groups of the 90s. And the advice I give is based off of statistics and debt aversion, so while I am not experienced in the process, I am at least about as educated on it as a 0L can be. Anyway, I'll drop it for now until you make another incredibly stupid post in another thread (which should be any second now).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”