Indiana vs GW

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Indiana v. GW

Indiana Law ($XX,XXX total cost of attendance after scholarship with living stipend)
41%
George Washington ($XXX,XXX total cost of attendance after need-based aid)
11%
Don't go to law school - the type of job you want is only available if you're from HYS
11%
Try a third cycle for UVA or Georgetown
38%

Total votes: 56

rad lulz

Re: Indiana vs GW

Postby rad lulz » Fri May 03, 2013 5:26 pm

abc987 wrote:I've received updated financial information.

GW increased their aid offer by $45k, lowering my cost of attendance to approximately $148k.

I would not go more than about $100k in debt for GW, and that's pushing it

boblawlob

Postby boblawlob » Fri May 03, 2013 5:29 pm

What does your 9 yrs of WE consist of?

abc987

Postby abc987 » Mon May 06, 2013 9:18 pm

boblawlob wrote:What does your 9 yrs of WE consist of?

Here is a general overview of those years:

1. Finished undergrad in 2004.
2. Student services work for my undergrad institution for one year
3. In mid-2005, I began managing a small research team for a publishing/technology company that produced alamacs and directories about a niche industry (both print publications and websites).
4. I noticed a number of unresolved consumer disputes in the industry the company's publications focused on, and persuaded them to let me devote some time to resolving these disputes. In mid-2006, they devoted me full time to expanding the consumer advocacy program. This advocacy is a free service to the public and is not revenue generating, so it felt pretty amazing that they were willing to expand it.
5. In mid-2007, the company took over a defunct professional association, which I used as a launching point to expand beyond our consumer advocacy by adding a business-to-business dispute assistance program and creating professional ethics certification programs specific to our industry. Since then, I've been handling the operations of the professional association as the Program Manager - raising funds, assisting in disputes, and some administrative matters like helping our editorial division with a magazine for our members and helping run our member discussion forum.

The people I end up helping with the dispute resolution are mostly doing ok for themselves to begin with, so I sought out involvement in my community to be of service where there is a greater need. While continuing to run the professional association during the day, I started two activities that related to my intended legal career:
A. In early 2011, I began doing field research for a civil rights organization as a contractor, and I am continuing to do this.
B. In September 2012, I began volunteering with a legal clinic that gives employment law advice to low-income clients. I get to help with some discrimination issues, among other things, so I thought it relevant to mention even though it is not paid work.

boblawlob

Postby boblawlob » Mon May 06, 2013 11:57 pm

abc987 wrote:
boblawlob wrote:What does your 9 yrs of WE consist of?

My 9 year WE list

Very impressive list.

I won't give advice on where you should attend. But in my opinion, you have incredible work experience for someone who wasn't in IB or Big Four or w.e. If you do well in law school, I can't imagine everyone turning you down for OCIs. Again, my words are worth a grain of salt, but a very interesting and diverse resume with leadership experience in the office environment screams high potential for success getting hired in biglaw to me. But again, doing well in law school is a big if.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Tue May 07, 2013 12:15 am

Do not do it. The public interest market is so incredibly tough to crack, even from the T10. most PI friends I have are really struggling.

I would say only take the Indiana offer if you are interested in working in Indiana-perhaps state government or less prestigious PI there (even that is hard to get).

The rest of the jobs are literally the hardest jobs to get out of law school, even harder than elite big law.

If you really want this either retake and go to to a T14, or do another cycle and get a complete full ride, including living expenses.

abc987

Postby abc987 » Fri May 24, 2013 3:26 pm

Thank you to everyone who gave advice.

I have decided to enroll in law school without taking an additional year. I am continuing on three wait lists, but based on my existing offers I have chosen IU-Bloomington.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Fri May 24, 2013 11:21 pm

abc987 wrote:Thank you to everyone who gave advice.

I have decided to enroll in law school without taking an additional year. I am continuing on three wait lists, but based on my existing offers I have chosen IU-Bloomington.

Out of the school options you had, I think you made the right choice. Attending GWU for more than a $100k COA would have been categorically unjustifiable. Good luck!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”