GULC($$) v. UVA (sticker)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

GULC($$) vs. UVA (sticker)

GULC (COA: $164k)
44%
UVA (COA: $223k)
56%

Total votes: 34

becomestairs

GULC($$) v. UVA (sticker)

Postby becomestairs » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:30 pm

Options:
GULC at $164k total COA
UVA at sticker, $223k total COA

Also on 'reserve' at CLS.

Next-to-nothing is going to come from personal savings/family for COA; the remainder is all loans. I've already got about $40k from undergrad.

From California originally. My goal is a federal clerkship, and location isn't important.

174/3.24, no retakes.

I was pretty certain on UVA due to their high clerkship rate, but I just got the $$ offer from GULC within the last hour (with a deadline of Monday, naturally).

Doorkeeper

Re: GULC($$) v. UVA (sticker)

Postby Doorkeeper » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:32 pm

I would ask UVA right now if they can match the GULC scholarship.

Call them right now.

Also, any other T14 options? Northwestern?

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:54 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:I would ask UVA right now if they can match the GULC scholarship.

Call them right now.

Do this

If nothing changes, I'd pick the school/area you prefer for 3 years.

untar614

Postby untar614 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:00 pm

ED Northwestern? if you have good WE

becomestairs

Postby becomestairs » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:23 pm

sinfiery wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:I would ask UVA right now if they can match the GULC scholarship.

Call them right now.

Do this

If nothing changes, I'd pick the school/area you prefer for 3 years.

Had to leave a message. Sent an e-mail as well.

From everything I've heard and read (primarily this: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=191557&start=2275), UVA is tapped for funds d/t plain-old overspending on earlier awards, so I'm expecting nothing while hoping for the best.

Props to GULC for giving me a decision to cloud my brain over the weekend 8)

becomestairs

Postby becomestairs » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:31 pm

untar614 wrote:ED Northwestern? if you have good WE

Actually, I did apply ED there, because I knew they were the most 'splitter-friendly' T14 (and because of the $150k schol, of course). I got moved to RD, probably because either 1) my GPA was a bit too low or 2) my downward GPA trend couldn't be overlooked. They offered $10k/yr that they declined to reconsider, so it just wasn't worth it to me (as much as I LOVED Chicago when I flew out to interview).

Edit: Just to tack on some more info, I have 3 years WE, including paralegal-type work at a firm, so I doubt that was a factor.

californiabeauar

Postby californiabeauar » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:35 pm

I would take UVA. Better employment numbers, qualify of life, etc is worth the xtra $$.

becomestairs

Postby becomestairs » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:33 pm

californiabeauar wrote:I would take UVA. Better employment numbers, qualify of life, etc is worth the xtra $$.

I agree with you on those points.

The poll is a dead heat as of right now, though, so, for those of you who would choose GULC: why? Does the $60k lower price outweigh the lower clerkship placement rate? Are there other factors that you would say weigh just as (or more) heavily?

Thanks for the input so far, y'all.

DouglasDevelopment

Postby DouglasDevelopment » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:43 pm

I go to GULC and I'd probably take UVA if I were you. I feel like once you get above 150k in loans you should just go to the place that gives you better employment opportunities.

GULC is a good school and I really liked it here. It gets way more shit than it deserves on this board, and a lot of people draw unwarranted conclusions from the placement data (ie, that since GULC has lower % placement, practitioners look down on a GULC grad relative to the rest of the lower T14, and that isn't really true). But you go to LS to get a job or a clerkship, GULC's large class size makes that harder, and UVA's biglaw/clerkship numbers are much better.

If you were to do well here (top 5 or top 10/15%), you will definitely be in the running for good clerkships. Problem is, there are a lot more people in the top 10% of GULC's class than UVA's.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:48 pm

retake

FKASunny

Postby FKASunny » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:57 pm

How much scholarship money did GULC give you? What you have listed for UVA is actually at least $40k less than what you'll graduate with if you finance the whole thing through loans. And I agree with the emerging consensus that once you hit a certain threshold of debt, you really should just be minimizing your level of p0wnitude by chasing the best career outcomes. I wish you had a near-free option at a T20 in a region you want to live in.

becomestairs

Postby becomestairs » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:07 pm

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) wrote:How much scholarship money did GULC give you? What you have listed for UVA is actually at least $40k less than what you'll graduate with if you finance the whole thing through loans. And I agree with the emerging consensus that once you hit a certain threshold of debt, you really should just be minimizing your level of p0wnitude by chasing the best career outcomes. I wish you had a near-free option at a T20 in a region you want to live in.

About $65k. I did a quick and dirty calc initially because the GULC offer had come so recently... But the answers and polling have still been insightful either way.

The next-best offers I have is ~$70k from UCLA, but I didn't enjoy my visit much.

I agree with the "debt threshold" thing -- frankly, after a certain limit, the numbers just kind of blur and make me dizzy.

(full disclosure: drunk)

becomestairs

Postby becomestairs » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:10 pm

DouglasDevelopment wrote:I go to GULC and I'd probably take UVA if I were you. I feel like once you get above 150k in loans you should just go to the place that gives you better employment opportunities.

GULC is a good school and I really liked it here. It gets way more shit than it deserves on this board, and a lot of people draw unwarranted conclusions from the placement data (ie, that since GULC has lower % placement, practitioners look down on a GULC grad relative to the rest of the lower T14, and that isn't really true). But you go to LS to get a job or a clerkship, GULC's large class size makes that harder, and UVA's biglaw/clerkship numbers are much better.

If you were to do well here (top 5 or top 10/15%), you will definitely be in the running for good clerkships. Problem is, there are a lot more people in the top 10% of GULC's class than UVA's.

I appreciate the insight, 'specially from a GULC grad. Everything you wrote basically matches what I've picked up on over the last year -- I'm sure it's a great school, but I'm just not sure at all about the 'fit' (my ASW visit was a lil cold and disconcerting).

FKASunny

Postby FKASunny » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:18 pm

becomestairs wrote:
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) wrote:How much scholarship money did GULC give you? What you have listed for UVA is actually at least $40k less than what you'll graduate with if you finance the whole thing through loans. And I agree with the emerging consensus that once you hit a certain threshold of debt, you really should just be minimizing your level of p0wnitude by chasing the best career outcomes. I wish you had a near-free option at a T20 in a region you want to live in.

About $65k. I did a quick and dirty calc initially because the GULC offer had come so recently... But the answers and polling have still been insightful either way.

The next-best offers I have is ~$70k from UCLA, but I didn't enjoy my visit much.

I agree with the "debt threshold" thing -- frankly, after a certain limit, the numbers just kind of blur and make me dizzy.

(full disclosure: drunk)

GULC's budget says non-discounted COA is $76,500/year (JFC WTF) and if you use their own calculator, plug in your 21,666/year scholarship, and generously lower the annual increase to 2.5%, you're still looking at over $200k for a GULC degree. Go to UVA.

DouglasDevelopment

Postby DouglasDevelopment » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:21 pm

becomestairs wrote:
DouglasDevelopment wrote:I go to GULC and I'd probably take UVA if I were you. I feel like once you get above 150k in loans you should just go to the place that gives you better employment opportunities.

I appreciate the insight, 'specially from a GULC grad. Everything you wrote basically matches what I've picked up on over the last year -- I'm sure it's a great school, but I'm just not sure at all about the 'fit' (my ASW visit was a lil cold and disconcerting).

FWIW, I don't think the atmosphere here is cold at all. I met a ton of great friends and thought LS was a pretty good time outside of the few weeks before finals.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”