Emory vs. UGA ($)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
squonk

Emory vs. UGA ($)

Postby squonk » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:52 pm

So I need some advice. I'm currently sitting on Emory's waitlist. Not sure of my chances, but if I do get accepted I'm thinking it's going to be at sticker. I'm already in at UGA, though. I'm a Georgia resident, so the estimated COA between Emory and UGA isn't even close - I'd guess somewhere near 200k at Emory vs. 60-70k at Georgia, taking into account tuition, scholarships and cost of living (a lot lower in Athens than in midtown Atlanta.)

I guess what I'm asking is whether Emory really provides anything that UGA doesn't. From what I understand, Emory places more of its grads in big law firms, but its employment stats still aren't that impressive considering the school's rank and cost. I'm seriously thinking about just committing to UGA. I have Atlanta/GA ties and don't mind staying here to work. Any insight on this?

Justin Genious

Re: Emory vs. UGA ($)

Postby Justin Genious » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:54 pm

If you want biglaw, none of the above. stats?

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:54 pm

retake

squonk

Postby squonk » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:04 pm

Justin Genious wrote:If you want biglaw, none of the above. stats?

3.3/163.

And yeah, I know the accepted wisdom here. T14 or bust, retake or don't go. I don't have my heart set on big law - I'm realistic about that - but I also won't have significant debt coming out of UGA because I'll be getting help re: money. If it's Emory, that's a different story.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:15 pm

Don't go to Emory at that price, but unless the thought of working in some slip n fall firm or family law firm in Gwinnett cty or Macon or whatever excites you, don't go to UGA either

gregfootball2001

Postby gregfootball2001 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:26 pm

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school= ... =employers
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school= ... =employers

Big law placement (law firms of 101+ lawyers)
UGA: 16.6%
Emory: 22.6%

Federal Clerks:
UGA: 7.4%
Emory: 6.4%

Totals:
UGA: 24%
Emory: 29%

Personally, I don't think that 140k is worth a 5% bump in good outcomes. At either school, biglaw certainly isn't unattainable. But if you can retake and go to Duke or something, I'd do that. If you're absolutely set on law school this fall, probably Georgia.

squonk

Postby squonk » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:11 pm

I think Emory is almost definitely out (assuming I even get off the waitlist, which seems unlikely.) I'm keeping the rest of my options on the table. Thanks for the advice, everyone.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:32 pm

squonk wrote:Emory places more of its grads in big law firms

In the same way that North Korea is firing more nuclear missiles at the US than South Korea is.

bigredforlaw

Postby bigredforlaw » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:57 am

squonk wrote:I think Emory is almost definitely out (assuming I even get off the waitlist, which seems unlikely.) I'm keeping the rest of my options on the table. Thanks for the advice, everyone.

Unless there's a UGA deadline coming up, you might want to wait and see what comes of your waitlist status at Emory. I got in off the waitlist with some $$, as did one of my friends here.

cm2015

Postby cm2015 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:44 pm

bigredforlaw wrote:
squonk wrote:I think Emory is almost definitely out (assuming I even get off the waitlist, which seems unlikely.) I'm keeping the rest of my options on the table. Thanks for the advice, everyone.

Unless there's a UGA deadline coming up, you might want to wait and see what comes of your waitlist status at Emory. I got in off the waitlist with some $$, as did one of my friends here.

I agree with this, might as well wait... I got off the waitlist last year around May and then got significant $$ late (as in July), ended up choosing UGA anyway- also if this happens, UGA will negotiate vs an emory scholly.

Edit- this seems obvious but if the deposit deadline is coming up, you need to go ahead and submit that though.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”