.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
vdog
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:29 pm

.

Postby vdog » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:01 pm

.
Last edited by vdog on Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

vdog
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:29 pm

Re: BC v. UConn

Postby vdog » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:44 pm

Bump.

vdog
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:29 pm

Re: BC v. UConn

Postby vdog » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:13 pm

Anyone else?

User avatar
Doorkeeper
Posts: 4872
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: BC v. UConn

Postby Doorkeeper » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:22 pm

UConn really has poor placement outcomes (53% are employed), but BC is only a bit better (65% employment). From BC you actually have a shot landing biglaw if you're in the top 1/3, and they also have decent connections to MA gov. If you went to UConn you would definitely be resigning yourself to CT. They don't place well into MA. I would think $80-90k for BC isn't too bad. I have no idea how being a CPA would affect your job prospects.

All of this being said, you should probably consider retaking the LSAT and reapplying to law school next year.

User avatar
DaRascal
Posts: 1854
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:27 pm

Re: BC v. UConn

Postby DaRascal » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:33 pm

I voted for BC because it's an awesome school and I'm planning to go there this fall barring some waitlist magic.
Come on, buddy. Let's go to BC!! Beantown is gonna be awesome. The land of booze, babes, and Bruins.

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: BC v. UConn

Postby cinephile » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:46 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:UConn really has poor placement outcomes (53% are employed), but BC is only a bit better (65% employment). From BC you actually have a shot landing biglaw if you're in the top 1/3, and they also have decent connections to MA gov. If you went to UConn you would definitely be resigning yourself to CT. They don't place well into MA. I would think $80-90k for BC isn't too bad. I have no idea how being a CPA would affect your job prospects.

All of this being said, you should probably consider retaking the LSAT and reapplying to law school next year.


But the difference between debt free completely or 90k is so huge that it doesn't justify a slightly higher chance at employment. There's a 2/3 chance you'll be throwing away 90k, so the odds are against you if you go to BC. The odds are against you at UConn too, but at least you're not getting into debt for it.

TheNextAmendment
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:44 pm

Re: BC v. UConn

Postby TheNextAmendment » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:35 pm

Head to Law School Transparency and look at the employment numbers for both schools so you understand what you're getting yourself into. If I were you- I would attend BC for 1L and if you fell below top 1/3 then drop out and do something else or go to UConn for free. Sounds insane, but its the right decision...I mean unless you want to retake the LSAT.

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: BC v. UConn

Postby cinephile » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:54 pm

TheNextAmendment wrote:Head to Law School Transparency and look at the employment numbers for both schools so you understand what you're getting yourself into. If I were you- I would attend BC for 1L and if you fell below top 1/3 then drop out and do something else or go to UConn for free. Sounds insane, but its the right decision...I mean unless you want to retake the LSAT.


The offer of UConn for free won't be there after he or she finishes 1L.

Also, throwing away 60k, even if you do drop out after 1L, is ridiculous. Completely insane.

TheNextAmendment
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:44 pm

Re: BC v. UConn

Postby TheNextAmendment » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:05 pm

cinephile wrote:
TheNextAmendment wrote:Head to Law School Transparency and look at the employment numbers for both schools so you understand what you're getting yourself into. If I were you- I would attend BC for 1L and if you fell below top 1/3 then drop out and do something else or go to UConn for free. Sounds insane, but its the right decision...I mean unless you want to retake the LSAT.


The offer of UConn for free won't be there after he or she finishes 1L.

Also, throwing away 60k, even if you do drop out after 1L, is ridiculous. Completely insane.


Apply to UConn all over again as a 1L instead of a transfer. Is this ABA allowed? Throwing away 60k is insane...throwing away 180k is beyond insane. Take the risk and if the risk fails...bail out and cut your losses. IMO.

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: BC v. UConn

Postby cinephile » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:32 pm

TheNextAmendment wrote:
cinephile wrote:
TheNextAmendment wrote:Head to Law School Transparency and look at the employment numbers for both schools so you understand what you're getting yourself into. If I were you- I would attend BC for 1L and if you fell below top 1/3 then drop out and do something else or go to UConn for free. Sounds insane, but its the right decision...I mean unless you want to retake the LSAT.


The offer of UConn for free won't be there after he or she finishes 1L.

Also, throwing away 60k, even if you do drop out after 1L, is ridiculous. Completely insane.


Apply to UConn all over again as a 1L instead of a transfer. Is this ABA allowed? Throwing away 60k is insane...throwing away 180k is beyond insane. Take the risk and if the risk fails...bail out and cut your losses. IMO.


It's allowed if you drop out after 1 semester, certainly.
Retake seems best, though.

vdog
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:29 pm

Re: BC v. UConn

Postby vdog » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:40 pm

.
Last edited by vdog on Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: BC v. UConn

Postby cinephile » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:33 pm

I may have gotten confused and added on COL (which it seems like you're not borrowing? or that was already included in your total debt).

If BC ends up costing you only 75k, I'd say it's worth it. I suppose if you manage to get a 2L SA, that will bring the estimated COA down from 90 to 75k. And BC is more likely to lead to permanent employment so, go for it.

Good luck and please forgive me for conflating this with another thread (that must have been a BC at sticker thread).




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: sadieshadow, Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests