(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
vdog

Postby vdog » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:01 pm

Last edited by vdog on Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

vdog

Re: BC v. UConn

Postby vdog » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:44 pm

Bump.

vdog

Postby vdog » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:13 pm

Anyone else?

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:22 pm

UConn really has poor placement outcomes (53% are employed), but BC is only a bit better (65% employment). From BC you actually have a shot landing biglaw if you're in the top 1/3, and they also have decent connections to MA gov. If you went to UConn you would definitely be resigning yourself to CT. They don't place well into MA. I would think $80-90k for BC isn't too bad. I have no idea how being a CPA would affect your job prospects.

All of this being said, you should probably consider retaking the LSAT and reapplying to law school next year.

DaRascal

Postby DaRascal » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:33 pm

I voted for BC because it's an awesome school and I'm planning to go there this fall barring some waitlist magic.
Come on, buddy. Let's go to BC!! Beantown is gonna be awesome. The land of booze, babes, and Bruins.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:46 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:UConn really has poor placement outcomes (53% are employed), but BC is only a bit better (65% employment). From BC you actually have a shot landing biglaw if you're in the top 1/3, and they also have decent connections to MA gov. If you went to UConn you would definitely be resigning yourself to CT. They don't place well into MA. I would think $80-90k for BC isn't too bad. I have no idea how being a CPA would affect your job prospects.

All of this being said, you should probably consider retaking the LSAT and reapplying to law school next year.

But the difference between debt free completely or 90k is so huge that it doesn't justify a slightly higher chance at employment. There's a 2/3 chance you'll be throwing away 90k, so the odds are against you if you go to BC. The odds are against you at UConn too, but at least you're not getting into debt for it.

TheNextAmendment

Postby TheNextAmendment » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:35 pm

Head to Law School Transparency and look at the employment numbers for both schools so you understand what you're getting yourself into. If I were you- I would attend BC for 1L and if you fell below top 1/3 then drop out and do something else or go to UConn for free. Sounds insane, but its the right decision...I mean unless you want to retake the LSAT.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:54 pm

TheNextAmendment wrote:Head to Law School Transparency and look at the employment numbers for both schools so you understand what you're getting yourself into. If I were you- I would attend BC for 1L and if you fell below top 1/3 then drop out and do something else or go to UConn for free. Sounds insane, but its the right decision...I mean unless you want to retake the LSAT.

The offer of UConn for free won't be there after he or she finishes 1L.

Also, throwing away 60k, even if you do drop out after 1L, is ridiculous. Completely insane.

TheNextAmendment

Postby TheNextAmendment » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:05 pm

cinephile wrote:
TheNextAmendment wrote:Head to Law School Transparency and look at the employment numbers for both schools so you understand what you're getting yourself into. If I were you- I would attend BC for 1L and if you fell below top 1/3 then drop out and do something else or go to UConn for free. Sounds insane, but its the right decision...I mean unless you want to retake the LSAT.

Also, throwing away 60k, even if you do drop out after 1L, is ridiculous. Completely insane.

Apply to UConn all over again as a 1L instead of a transfer. Is this ABA allowed? Throwing away 60k is insane...throwing away 180k is beyond insane. Take the risk and if the risk fails...bail out and cut your losses. IMO.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:32 pm

TheNextAmendment wrote:
cinephile wrote:

Apply to UConn all over again as a 1L instead of a transfer. Is this ABA allowed? Throwing away 60k is insane...throwing away 180k is beyond insane. Take the risk and if the risk fails...bail out and cut your losses. IMO.

It's allowed if you drop out after 1 semester, certainly.
Retake seems best, though.

vdog

Postby vdog » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:40 pm

Last edited by vdog on Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:33 pm

I may have gotten confused and added on COL (which it seems like you're not borrowing? or that was already included in your total debt).

If BC ends up costing you only 75k, I'd say it's worth it. I suppose if you manage to get a 2L SA, that will bring the estimated COA down from 90 to 75k. And BC is more likely to lead to permanent employment so, go for it.

Good luck and please forgive me for conflating this with another thread (that must have been a BC at sticker thread).

Return to “Choosing a Law School”