Northwestern($$$) or Columbia?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
adoseofwendy

Northwestern($$$) or Columbia?

Postby adoseofwendy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:00 am

I'm trying to decide whether I should maintain my spot at Northwestern where I got a 120k scholarship or at Columbia (I haven't heard about financial aid yet). I also can go to Chicago (75k) or NYU (65k).
I'm interested in going into PI. I'd like to be in either CA or NY. Help.

Kalinda

Re: Northwestern($$$) or Columbia?

Postby Kalinda » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:19 pm

adoseofwendy wrote:I'm trying to decide whether I should maintain my spot at Northwestern where I got a 120k scholarship or at Columbia (I haven't heard about financial aid yet). I also can go to Chicago (75k) or NYU (65k).
I'm interested in going into PI. I'd like to be in either CA or NY. Help.

I don't for this to sound rude, but just being "interested" in PI won't do. If your goal is to have a PI gig right out of law school you have to start networking, interning/volunteering, attending forums in the type of PI work you want to do as soon as possible. These jobs are even harder to get than big law and require connections and dedication. It will be extremely difficult to suddenly decide to pursue PI in the middle of law school. People will wonder why you don't have a PI focused resume. If PI is the goal right after law school, with your choices, I'd say NYU.

If you are unsure of what you want to do before you attend school, I'd go with the cheapest option (NU at this point) and try to do the best you can. PI jobs are also competitive with grades as well.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”