Should I test my luck with a retake?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
stenzer09

Should I test my luck with a retake?

Postby stenzer09 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:20 am

So my cycle is basically complete, I seem to be no more certain about where I should go then when I first applied. Any advice?

Stats: 164*, 3.97
* I have taken the LSAT three times, cancel, 163, 164. Last time was 12/11 so I am re-eligible to take it again.
(The money amounts are either scholarships, or need-based grants/a combo of both)

In at:
USC-60k
UCLA-55K
Michigan-60K

Waitlisted at:
UC Berkeley- 1st quartile of the waitlist
Penn
UChicago

I feel like I may have over-performed my numbers a bit, but I have no clue as to why. No especially significant softs to speak. At this point, I think I am only considering Michigan out of the schools I have been admitted to. But, as I currently owe a bit from undergraduate I am a quite debt-averse. I have been tossing around the possibility to take the LSAT again (though I cant take it in June, so I'd have to wait will October), but I am worried that a.) I will only improve one or two points if any, or b.) I will improve by a good amount but I still wont be able to replicate this good of a cycle.

I feel that if I get off any of the waitlists I should just go with that school and run. I think at least UC Berkeley gives decent financial aid. But even a near-full price Penn or UChicago would be extremely tempting for me. Does this seem like the best course of action? Is it silly of me let go of the generous Michigan offer, for the hope of raising my LSAT score on my 4th try?

My career goal is BigLaw, though I'm certainly not opposed to public interest work, or a clerkship. But I feel, that wherever I go, the amount of $$ I owe would pretty much limit what I will be able to do, even with income-based loan repayment plans. Geographically, I am open to anywhere.

Re: Should I test my luck with a retake?

Postby 052220151 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:03 am

Read 164, didn't continue, retake

togepi

Postby togepi » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:43 am

Your GPA is off the chain.

The risk of retaking with the possibility of breaking into the 170s and going to the holy trinity is worth it.

envisciguy

Postby envisciguy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:30 am

Your cycle has been so good because your GPA is excellent and well above the 75th % for every school. If you can raise your LSAT score by even a couple points, you should have even better options. A 170 to go with your GPA could probably net you at least a half tuition scholarship at the bottom T14 and would likely get you into some of the schools you were waitlisted at this time. If you can get above a 170, HYS become possibilities.

Ave

Postby Ave » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:01 am

study more and retake

CourCour

Postby CourCour » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:03 am

If you are going to retake think of how you can change your approach to change your results.

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:04 am

How much of "a bit" do you owe from UG? As in, are you definitely locked into Biglaw no matter what? Because if so, even with $60k at Mich, you'll need Biglaw to pay off that debt, and their large firm placement has suffered lately. I'd be wary of any of these options. Retake is definitely the more financially prudent option, especially since it would give you time to get a job and help pay down your UG debt a bit.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”