CLS ($$) vs. Duke ($$$)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

CLS or Duke?

CLS (85K)
86%
Duke (105K)
14%

Total votes: 72

RDJ2016

CLS ($$) vs. Duke ($$$)

Postby RDJ2016 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:17 am

I've been offered 85K at CLS and 105K at Duke. Career goals include a clerkship and either DC biglaw or bigfed. Is CLS worth 20K + higher COL in my situation?

I currently live in NYC, so CLS would be an easy transition for me. I would be slightly apprehensive about moving to Durham, but I really liked Duke when I visited. I think that I may prefer the atmosphere on campus at Duke to CLS (based on my impressions from ASW), and I really believe that I would have a great experience there. That being said, CLS offers a truly impressive variety of classes, institutes and programs that I don't think Duke can match. I'm specifically interested in national security law/policy, and it seems like CLS may have the upper hand there. Any information would be appreciated! Deposit deadlines are looming.

ManoftheHour

Re: CLS ($$) vs. Duke ($$$)

Postby ManoftheHour » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:21 am

This is a no brainer. CLS. DO IT.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:22 am

ManoftheHour wrote:This is a no brainer. CLS.

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:25 am

yup def an easy one

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:28 am

TripTrip wrote:

jayman12

Postby jayman12 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:30 am

id go with duke

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:43 am

thelawyler wrote:
TripTrip wrote:

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:46 am

jayman12 wrote:id go with duke

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:28 am

CLS hands down. I mean its smart that you wanted to be 100
% sure your doing the right thing, and I know Duke is so nice its hard to turn them down, but really, this ones easy, unless you really wanted to practice in the Carolinas. Even duke would tell you go to go cls.

Myself

Postby Myself » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:45 am

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:47 am

CLS. Enjoy!

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:48 am

Doorkeeper wrote:
thelawyler wrote:
TripTrip wrote:

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:57 am

CLS by a mile, unless you can convince Duke to cough up a spare Mordecai.

RDJ2016

Postby RDJ2016 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:03 am

Well looks like my choice should be pretty obvious! I was pretty sure people would encourage me to go to CLS, but I didn't realize that the general consensus would be so strongly in Columbia's favor. So CLS is really that much better than Duke? I've checked out all the job data and, while CLS obviously places better than almost every school, Duke seems to do very well too. I'm definitely leaning strongly towards Columbia, just want a little more info as to why CLS seems to be the obvious choice by far and away. Total difference in COA is approximately 40K based on the schools' COL estimates. Columbia's estimate, however, seems to be very generous, and I know that I wouldn't need to use the full amount. I don't have as good of a sense as to whether I would be able to stay under Duke's estimate, especially since I would need to buy a car if I moved to Durham.

untar614

Postby untar614 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:05 am

RDJ2016 wrote:Well looks like my choice should be pretty obvious! I was pretty sure people would encourage me to go to CLS, but I didn't realize that the general consensus would be so strongly in Columbia's favor. So CLS is really that much better than Duke? I've checked out all the job data and, while CLS obviously places better than almost every school, Duke seems to do very well too. I'm definitely leaning strongly towards Columbia, just want a little more info as to why CLS seems to be the obvious choice by far and away. Total difference in COA is approximately 40K based on the schools' COL estimates. Columbia's estimate, however, seems to be very generous, and I know that I wouldn't need to use the full amount. I don't have as good of a sense as to whether I would be able to stay under Duke's estimate, especially since I would need to buy a car if I moved to Durham.

Do the full math to calculate COA with scholarships applied yearly, realistic CoL facotred in, and the interest applied. Probably still favors CLS, but just to be sure.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:09 am

The thing is, it's pricey as hell staying in NY, but the COA is close enough to lower the chances of getting fewer offers if you get medianed at duke. CLS grads will have solid offers well into the class. Worth it all day to me.

dawyzest1

Postby dawyzest1 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:25 pm

jbagelboy wrote:I know Duke is so nice its hard to turn them down, but really, this ones easy, unless you really wanted to practice in the Carolinas. Even duke would tell you go to go cls.

This is 100% true, those Duke folks are beyond nice, but please, please go to CLS. The increased margin for error in terms of grades/rank is worth it IMO.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:26 pm

$20k is not nearly enough to swing this for Duke.

RDJ2016

Postby RDJ2016 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:35 pm

My deposit deadline for Duke is today, and I'm still a little torn. Does anyone have any further feedback as to whether it's a good idea to turn down 105K at Duke for 85K at Columbia when the difference in COA is approximately 40K? I'm really hoping to eventually land at a DC firm, but I'm planning to give the bigfed pipe dream my best shot. I'm planning to deposit at CLS, and I'm pretty excited about it. It still hurts to give up Duke (which I loved) and the extra $$ though, so I want to be sure I'm making a smart decision.

untar614

Postby untar614 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:48 pm

I mean, if you really loved duke, it's not like 105k at Duke is a terrible choice. They still place very well, and well in DC (more than Columbia actually, but I'd guess that's mostly self-selection). It's just that I and it seems everyone else here think the numbers clearly favor CLS. If you really love Duke and that's what will make you happy and you don't want to stay in NYC, it's understandable, Duke still offers good options, CLS's just seem better. Do whatever you feel is best for you. I would opt for CLS in your position, but that's me, and I'm not you.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:55 pm

RDJ2016 wrote:My deposit deadline for Duke is today, and I'm still a little torn. Does anyone have any further feedback as to whether it's a good idea to turn down 105K at Duke for 85K at Columbia when the difference in COA is approximately 40K? I'm really hoping to eventually land at a DC firm, but I'm planning to give the bigfed pipe dream my best shot. I'm planning to deposit at CLS, and I'm pretty excited about it. It still hurts to give up Duke (which I loved) and the extra $$ though, so I want to be sure I'm making a smart decision.

I'm having a really hard time withdrawing from schools too. but here's another way to think about it. Most people who get $105K from duke probably only got $40K-$50K from CLS - you actually have a stronger finaid offer, comparatively. And you aren't missing out on opportunities by turning down Duke, you're actually taking those same opportunities and adding a slice more. You will not be sweating that $20K in a couple years, honestly. What would matter more in a decision with the $ this close is if you really hate NYC and love Durham, which I can't imagine would the case for that many people in their mid 20's.

You'll actually feel so much better once you make your CLS deposit and withdraw. You'll be like oooohh yeaa.

untar614

Postby untar614 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:01 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
RDJ2016 wrote:My deposit deadline for Duke is today, and I'm still a little torn. Does anyone have any further feedback as to whether it's a good idea to turn down 105K at Duke for 85K at Columbia when the difference in COA is approximately 40K? I'm really hoping to eventually land at a DC firm, but I'm planning to give the bigfed pipe dream my best shot. I'm planning to deposit at CLS, and I'm pretty excited about it. It still hurts to give up Duke (which I loved) and the extra $$ though, so I want to be sure I'm making a smart decision.

I'm having a really hard time withdrawing from schools too. but here's another way to think about it. Most people who get $105K from duke probably only got $40K-$50K from CLS - you actually have a stronger finaid offer, comparatively. And you aren't missing out on opportunities by turning down Duke, you're actually taking those same opportunities and adding a slice more. You will not be sweating that $20K in a couple years, honestly. What would matter more in a decision with the $ this close is if you really hate NYC and love Durham, which I can't imagine would the case for that many people in their mid 20's.

You'll actually feel so much better once you make your CLS deposit and withdraw. You'll be like oooohh yeaa.

hahaha, nice. I had a hard time withdrawing from some waitlists even though I had a good chance of getting in off them just because I wanted to have gotten in to more top schools. But yeah, I'd say this is a good post.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:25 pm

untar614 wrote:hahaha, nice. I had a hard time withdrawing from some waitlists even though I had a good chance of getting in off them just because I wanted to have gotten in to more top schools. But yeah, I'd say this is a good post.

Just out of curiosity, why did you withdraw off WL's? did you have to?

untar614

Postby untar614 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:43 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
untar614 wrote:hahaha, nice. I had a hard time withdrawing from some waitlists even though I had a good chance of getting in off them just because I wanted to have gotten in to more top schools. But yeah, I'd say this is a good post.

Just out of curiosity, why did you withdraw off WL's? did you have to?

I didnt have to, but these were ones that after considering all options and possibilities, I wouldn't be attending, so it was just the proper thingto do. Plus for ones like GULC they really push you to say that you really intend on enrolling if admitted, and I didn't really feel like lying since I don't think they'd be giving me a full ride.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:00 pm

RDJ2016 wrote:Is CLS worth 20K + higher COL in my situation?

Absolutely it is, yes.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”