All else equal, Hastings or Loyola? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Hastings or Loyola, all else equal.

Loyola
30%
Hastings
70%

Total votes: 53

CO2016YEAH

Silver

Re: All else equal, Hastings or Loyola?

Post by CO2016YEAH » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:32 am

sublime12089 wrote:
togepi wrote:Might as well tell OP what he wants to hear:

Loyola - http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=loyola 41.1% employment score, 43.6% unemployment score

Hastings - http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=hastings 46.3% employment score, 43.3% unemployment score

Using the mythical formula when choosing law schools:

If Employment score > Unemployment score = GO GO GO

If Employment score < Unemployment score = NO NO NO

Bottom line, Hastings all the way bro.

There it is. Done. 8)

Look, clearly the (unanimous?) consensus is that either is a terrible idea if they are not full rides, but you are going to do what you are going to do.

For conversation though, are you set on trying to work in Cali? I saw you got into UF and if you want to work in Florida it is not a bad school, especially at under 20k tuition for 2L and 3L and cheap cost of living. I am not saying UF at out of state sticker is a great idea, but if you are ok working in Florida, especially if you have ties there, that is a much better choice than Hastings or Loyola.
The reasons that you state gave Florida a strong argument. I do see myself in Cali long term, though, which is why I bailed.

CO2016YEAH

Silver

Post by CO2016YEAH » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:33 am

ManoftheHour wrote:OP, I've seen your posts in a few threads (we're in the same cycle and applying to similar schools), so I have to ask: Are playing mental gymnastics to try to justify going to Hastings (Because of its higher ranking in comparison to Loyola)? It says in your profile that you got 90k from Loyola. It doesn't say anything about Hastings so I'm assuming that you didn't get anything there. If Hastings didn't give you any money, it's completely out of the question.
Waiting on FinAid from Hastings. I'm expecting it will be the ~15k nearly everyone else got.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:40 am

CO2016YEAH wrote:Geez, of course all else isn't equal. But the cynicism here is ridiculous!

I'm not trying to "outsmart" anyone. Don't like either school? Fine. Asking regarding "all else equal" is not so much to convey that all else is equal, as it is to get a perception of your opinion of these schools if it were. Looks like almost no one here would attend either. That's fine too.

This thread is more for fun/time passing than anything else. "All else" is part of my personal consideration. Chilax, guys.
There's no "magic bullet" of information we can give you that will somehow distinguish the two schools. They're both law schools. They have law professors and law students. One's in LA and one's in SF. Other than that, there's very little to distinguish one law school from another.

I'd attend either for the right cost. I would not attend for the wrong cost. Since you haven't given any information about cost, then we can't help you.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:42 am

ImNoScar wrote:
ajax adonis wrote:
togepi wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:I love when people post threads like these. I imagine the thought process goes like this:
"TLS told me to retake in my first thread."
"I know, I've outsmarted them. If I just say disregard costs they'll have to tell me which to pick."
OP makes a new thread. Everyone tells him to retake.

OP, it's impossible to make decisions disconnected from reality. Thought exercises are for philosophy classes, not life altering decisions.
ITS CYCLICAL
When I graduate, the economy will be humming along!
Plus, my friend, Mr. Anecdote, graduated from this school 10 years ago and is a partner at Vault Firm X.
Did you meet his wife, Mrs. Anecdote? She's an international human rights war crimes prosecutor but still finds time to look good and wrap up every plotline in 30 minutes.

lawschoolwoohoo

Bronze

Post by lawschoolwoohoo » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:05 am

Hastings probably isn't as terrifying as everyone on this thread is making it sound, but I know it's been slipping in the rankings so that's a little terrifying. I mean if you want Cali I'm sure it's not the absolute worst thing ever if you have the money to blow. If you have a lot of debt, maybe re-take and try to get more money somewhere else next year. If you've got some $$ to burn and you want Hastings, go for it. I mean if you want to know one of these two choices with no COA, I guess I'd choose Hastings. I applied and got in. It didn't seem that horrible. I just decided to stay on the East coast so won't be attending.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:10 am

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:43 am

Hastings is a terrible investment

DON'T go there

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:11 pm

CO2016YEAH wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:OP, I've seen your posts in a few threads (we're in the same cycle and applying to similar schools), so I have to ask: Are playing mental gymnastics to try to justify going to Hastings (Because of its higher ranking in comparison to Loyola)? It says in your profile that you got 90k from Loyola. It doesn't say anything about Hastings so I'm assuming that you didn't get anything there. If Hastings didn't give you any money, it's completely out of the question.
Waiting on FinAid from Hastings. I'm expecting it will be the ~15k nearly everyone else got.
In that case, no brainer. If you have to attend, Loyola. If you lose your scholly, drop out.

J-e-L-L-o

Bronze

Post by J-e-L-L-o » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:27 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:OP, please don't go to Hastings.

At least for Loyola, you could drop out if you lose your scholly.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Dre you got my vote for 2013 poaster of the year bruh!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LiquidJames

New

Post by LiquidJames » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:52 pm

have u considered chapman? it's better than both

CO2016YEAH

Silver

Post by CO2016YEAH » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:55 pm

LiquidJames wrote:have u considered chapman? it's better than both
Seriously? In what way?

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:56 pm

CO2016YEAH wrote:
Seriously? In what way?
In unemployment and higher COA. Enjoy.
Last edited by ManoftheHour on Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:56 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LiquidJames

New

Post by LiquidJames » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:15 pm

sublime12089 wrote:
CO2016YEAH wrote:
Seriously? In what way?

None. He is a flame. Ignore him.
no i 'm not, i respect hastings as a UC and loyola as one of the most well known schools in LA, but i do, subjectively, believe in terms of qualify of education, chapman is probably better than both of them.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:29 pm

LiquidJames wrote:
sublime12089 wrote:
CO2016YEAH wrote:
Seriously? In what way?

None. He is a flame. Ignore him.
no i 'm not, i respect hastings as a UC and loyola as one of the most well known schools in LA, but i do, subjectively, believe in terms of qualify of education, chapman is probably better than both of them.
What about McGeorge?

CO2016YEAH

Silver

Post by CO2016YEAH » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:53 pm

I got an email about California Online Law School. Maybe I should be looking into this. Virtual classes meet twice a week. Bar passage rate is only 33%, but I'm sure that just means I will shine extra bright among my peers. :D

LiquidJames

New

Post by LiquidJames » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:55 pm

CO2016YEAH wrote:I got an email about California Online Law School. Maybe I should be looking into this. Virtual classes meet twice a week. Bar passage rate is only 33%, but I'm sure that just means I will shine extra bright among my peers. :D
dude, that's a scam school, do NOT go to california online law school even when it's free, or any online law schools, they are mostly scams, even if you are among the 33% that pass the bar, you still won't get jobs

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:55 pm

CO2016YEAH wrote:I got an email about California Online Law School.

retake

CO2016YEAH

Silver

Post by CO2016YEAH » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:00 pm

Lol. I'm flaming now. Will not be going to Ca Online Law school.

I do disagree with the notion that Hastings and LLS are an utter waste of time, though.

Edit- And I do disagree with the notion that Chapman > LLS/Hastings in any metric other than those Manofthehour listed. Might still offer a decent education, but still...
Last edited by CO2016YEAH on Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LiquidJames

New

Post by LiquidJames » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:01 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:

retake
to be honest though, UCI is almost just as bad, i heard they have virtual classes too because they are admitting so many who apply and their school has very limited capacity

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:07 pm

LiquidJames wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:

retake
to be honest though, UCI is almost just as bad, i heard they have virtual classes too because they are admitting so many who apply and their school has very limited capacity
142 troll.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:23 pm

ImNoScar wrote:
LiquidJames wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:

retake
142 troll.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:34 am

Have you considered pursuing other options?

CO2016YEAH

Silver

Post by CO2016YEAH » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:54 pm

dr123 wrote:Have you considered pursuing other options?
I have. I have been denied from virtually every other Ca school I might attend. I was WL at UNC and UGA, but I really actually need (and want) to stay in Ca anyways.

Pepperdine is still on the table with a current offer of 15k/yr. Ultimately, I'm more or less ruling out Hastings due to high COA and a preference for southern vs northern Ca. So, ya. I guess this is becoming a Pepperdine v LLS thread, unless I am wrong about what I think is an inevitable USC ding on its way in the mail.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:56 pm

CO2016YEAH wrote:
dr123 wrote:Have you considered pursuing other options?
I have. I have been denied from virtually every other Ca school I might attend. I was WL at UNC and UGA, but I really actually need (and want) to stay in Ca anyways.

Pepperdine is still on the table with a current offer of 15k/yr. Ultimately, I'm more or less ruling out Hastings due to high COA and a preference for southern vs northern Ca. So, ya. I guess this is becoming a Pepperdine v LLS thread, unless I am wrong about what I think is an inevitable USC ding on its way in the mail.
If at first you don't succeed, quit and don't admit to trying.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”