UNM vs TTU

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
eyeheartbrainz

UNM vs TTU

Postby eyeheartbrainz » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:04 pm

I've been accepted to University of New Mexico and Texas Tech University. Cost is almost the exact same for me. Not really into Indian law or Environmental law--more into writing, litigation, criminal law, etc. I know TTU has a lot more journals than UNM, but UNM is ranked substantially better and Albuquerque/Nob Hill > Lubbock is a no brainer. I really prefer the taste of the tap water in Albuquerque than Lubbock. Please spare me the talks about retaking the LSAT and applying next year. It's either UNM or TTU. I'd prefer to practice in the El Paso-Las Cruces area. Thoughts?

BeautifulSW

Re: UNM vs TTU

Postby BeautifulSW » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:13 pm

Much of a muchness, I'd say. I got out of UNM in 1986 when it was just about free. It's not free anymore but for in-state students it's pretty cheap compared with most other schools in the region.

I live and work in Las Cruces and I can tell you that there's plenty of paying law work around though you might have to hang a shingle to get it. El Paso, I'm told, is larger but more competitive. I'm not admitted in Texas (though I could waive in) so I can't tell you anything firsthand.

There is nothing resembling Big Law in Las Cruces. There are a couple of largish Texas firms in El Paso.

Albuquerque is more attractive than Lubbock but Lubbock has considerable "hidden" charm. Texas Tech is a real University and that's reflected in the community.

Personally, I'd go to Tech. My UNM experience was largely positive and the degree has sold well in the New Mexico market over the years but it lacks "legs". A TTU degree will sell quite well in N.Mex. and I imagine would be a better bet for Texas employment.

Don't give a second thought to rankings. In your situation, with your particular goals, they flat don't matter.

EDIT: In the interests of full disclosure, I came to UNM Law as an older student and Navy veteran with little patience for Left Wing Dogma. I encountered a great deal of that at UNM and I gritted my teeth frequently as a result. Only once, however, do I think my much more "personal responsibility" attitude actually injured a grade and I knew it would even as I wrote the exam Blue Book. I just couldn't stick the crap this particular Professor was handing out. So I may be biased on that account.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:27 pm

What's the COA including tuition, COL, fees, tuition increases, and interest?

eyeheartbrainz

Postby eyeheartbrainz » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:46 pm

BeautifulSW, thanks for the advice. It is much appreciated.

romothesavior: The price is almost identical--TTU is about a grand cheaper over 3 years for me. Most of the COL is down to rent, and I'm looking to pay around $700 for a 1br regardless of where I end up. I'm pretty sure TTU has increased tuition more than UNM recently. A few years back, TTU was almost as low as UNM.

Like I said before, I'm not very interested in Indian law and Environmental law. I think I would prefer the litigation, criminal law, and legal writing at TTU more than whatever UNM has to offer.

Right now I am just not sure which way to go. I put down a $300 seat deposit at TTU on the 12th, and I missed the deposit at UNM on the 15th. But UNM has come around asking that I pay it or talk to the admissions deans, I just want to be informed before I call them tomorrow and make my final choice.

b.gump81

Postby b.gump81 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:33 am

eyeheartbrainz wrote:Not really into Indian law or Environmental law--more into writing, litigation, criminal law, etc.

eyeheartbrainz wrote:Like I said before, I'm not very interested in Indian law and Environmental law. I think I would prefer the litigation, criminal law, and legal writing at TTU more than whatever UNM has to offer.

Can't tell you what UNM has to offer, but I can tell you Tech has a great legal writing program and is one of the best schools in the nation for advocacy. I came to Tech for criminal law and litigation and have been very happy with my choice so far. We have three criminal law clinics, renowned national advocacy teams (our moot court team just won the largest and arguably most prestigious moot court competition), and a great LRW program (also look up Dean Dickerson's commitment to legal writing courses).

Again, I can't speak for UNM, but it seems like Tech has everything you're looking for.

andythefir

Postby andythefir » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:49 am

I externed with a federal judge who addressed this exact question. If you are a NM resident with major ties then go to UNM-it's insane not to, UNM has a stranglehold on the NM market and it's so much cheaper in state than TX Tech. I will defer on West TX/South/West NM, but if you like ABQ/nob hill and want to stay there permanently UNM is the only choice.

You seem to be comparing journals/trial advocacy between the schools, which is a classic pre-law mistake. Pick NM or TX and go with that school. If you're not a resident of either state then don't go to either. They're not worth the money and you will struggle to find a job without major ties to the only regions where those schools place graduates in any meaningful way.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:03 am

romothesavior wrote:What's the COA including tuition, COL, fees, tuition increases, and interest?

BeautifulSW

Postby BeautifulSW » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:36 pm

UNM has a near-stranglehold on the Albuquerque/Santa Fe market anyway. Down here on the Border, not so much. Texas Tech has at least equal standing with UNM in Eastern New Mexico and, I believe, Southern and Southwestern N.Mex. as well. Part of that is because it hasn't been easy historically to get any lawyers to settle in the more remote (or, on the Border, hotter) parts of the state and part of it is that we feel somewhat alienated from "Real New Mexico" if you get my drift.

One thing I forgot to ask the OP is whether s/he speaks Spanish. UNM has a good variety of externships and also runs a solid in-house legal clinic. Spanish is absolutely NOT a prerequisite to a lawyer's success in the Rio Grande corridor but it helps a lot in criminal and PI work. The State and Federal Public Defender agencies look favorably upon bilingual applicants.

The El Paso metro area has always been heavily Latino but is becoming perceptibly more "Mexican" and less "Chicano" due to the influx of middle and upper class Juarensens fleeing the drug war violence. (I personally think it makes the city even more intriguing but some of my Latino co-workers are not exactly thrilled. Apparently there's some friction between the two communities.) Point is, Spanish skills are becoming even more useful than in the past.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”