Columbia vs Berk Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BigZuck

Diamond

Re: Columbia vs Berk

Post by BigZuck » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:09 pm

And by all that I mean: RETAKE. Don't waste that beautiful Ivy League gpa.

djwjddl

Bronze

Post by djwjddl » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:16 pm

BigZuck wrote:And by all that I mean: RETAKE. Don't waste that beautiful Ivy League gpa.
Can't. Took 3 times already.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:17 pm

I would do some digging to see how likely it is that you keep your aid the next two years. If it's likely, then Berkeley.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:19 pm

djwjddl wrote:
BigZuck wrote:And by all that I mean: RETAKE. Don't waste that beautiful Ivy League gpa.
Can't. Took 3 times already.
Ugh. I hear you on that.

Then Berkeley. Just know that 3.7/169 has negotiated 90K out of Duke and been given 90K at Cornell.

ragelion

Gold

Post by ragelion » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:22 pm

Stay in CA.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:31 pm

ragelion wrote:Stay in CA.
How exactly is the OP going to "stay in CA" if the OP is not "in" CA?

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:40 pm

Regional Preference
Would ultimately like to practice in California upon graduating as my family is out there, but wouldn't mind attending school in NYC for another 3 years. most of my friends are here and have lived on east for all my life.
Boalt, no question.

btw: if you have lived in the east all of your life, and have no ties to California, you ain't coming back from NYC; just to hard.

djwjddl

Bronze

Post by djwjddl » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:12 am

Big Dog wrote:
Regional Preference
Would ultimately like to practice in California upon graduating as my family is out there, but wouldn't mind attending school in NYC for another 3 years. most of my friends are here and have lived on east for all my life.
Boalt, no question.

btw: if you have lived in the east all of your life, and have no ties to California, you ain't coming back from NYC; just to hard.
How true is this? I'm assuming having family out there won't count as having ties? Without any ties, is it that hard to place in Cali with a cls degree? Thought cls's employment score for Cali was very good (only behind Chicago and penn)....source:lst report

Also, seems like Columbia places the second highest number of grads in Cali? http://web.law.columbia.edu/careers/emp ... statistics

Redamon1

Bronze

Post by Redamon1 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:13 am

banjo wrote:Columbia is a the clear choice. Better employment prospects for pretty much the same cost.
C'mon now. OP wants PI and wants to work in CA. Berkeley has a broader alumni network and places better in those two areas (especially when combined i.e. PI in CA). And the difference in clerkship and BigLaw #s is not significant enough to justify picking C over B for those reasons alone, IMO.

Also this:
worldtraveler wrote:These schools have totally different vibes. I suggest you choose the one you feel more comfortable at, because 3 years is a long time just to not fit in with your school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:22 am

don't go to Berkeley over Columbia.

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:26 am

Redamon1 wrote:
banjo wrote:Columbia is a the clear choice. Better employment prospects for pretty much the same cost.
C'mon now. OP wants PI and wants to work in CA. Berkeley has a broader alumni network and places better in those two areas (especially when combined i.e. PI in CA). And the difference in clerkship and BigLaw #s is not significant enough to justify picking C over B for those reasons alone, IMO.

Also this:
worldtraveler wrote:These schools have totally different vibes. I suggest you choose the one you feel more comfortable at, because 3 years is a long time just to not fit in with your school.
OP stated some preferences, but seems totally open to working at a large firm in NYC for a few years. Columbia's placement power into those firms is a safety net you shouldn't ignore when you're somewhat ambivalent and not tied down to a city. As for the data, OP can see for himself:

2010-11
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=181415
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=181723

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=206368

That extra 10% placement will be extremely helpful if OP ends up around median. PI placement also isn't hugely different (CLS actually beat Boalt in 2012), if that's something you insist on doing right after graduation. Many law students have said that PI is harder to get than big law.

Conclusion: Go to the school that will give you the best shot at paying down the massive debt you're about to take on. Worry about California/PI later.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:21 am

banjo wrote:
Redamon1 wrote:

Also this:
OP stated some preferences, but seems totally open to working at a large firm in NYC for a few years. Columbia's placement power into those firms is a safety net you shouldn't ignore when you're somewhat ambivalent and not tied down to a city. As for the data, OP can see for himself:

2010-11

That extra 10% placement will be extremely helpful if OP ends up around median. PI placement also isn't hugely different (CLS actually beat Boalt in 2012), if that's something you insist on doing right after graduation. Many law students have said that PI is harder to get than big law.

Conclusion: Go to the school that will give you the best shot at paying down the massive debt you're about to take on. Worry about California/PI later.
Or, if you're going to ignore your actual career interests and just go to the school that will give you the best shot at a job that isn't what you really want to do, maybe you shouldn't go to law school at all.

twinkletoes16

Silver

Post by twinkletoes16 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:50 am

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
banjo wrote:
Redamon1 wrote:

Also this:

2010-11

Or, if you're going to ignore your actual career interests and just go to the school that will give you the best shot at a job that isn't what you really want to do, maybe you shouldn't go to law school at all.

Jesus, this. Not everyone wants to work biglaw in NYC and isn't pissing themselves over Suits. I get that people want to hedge their bets but to tell someone who wants CA PI to go to Columbia so they can hope for NYC biglaw is ludicrous.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Real Madrid

Silver

Post by Real Madrid » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:39 am

banjo wrote:
Redamon1 wrote:

Also this:

2010-11

This is just all around bad advice. You aren't really considering OP's desires and you don't fully understand the information you're citing. Case in point: Columbia did not (and does not) place better into PI than Berkeley. Their higher LST number comes from the fact that they have over 8 percent of their class in school-funded positions that count for PI. If you subtract that from the PI number it's not even close.

djwjddl

Bronze

Post by djwjddl » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:15 pm

thanks for all the helpful advice thus far. i'm sorry i'm not making this easy (and it's obviously not easy for myself) with my vague job preferences. i do want to make clear that having family living in CA will not count as ties? My family will have moved out there permanently before i begin law school (will be moving in a few months) and my brother is currently practicing in cali.

also, if i were to perform similarly at both institutions, would my prospects for clerking in cali or working PI in cali be that much different? what about ca biglaw? in other words, how much would i lose out on being able to go back to cali to work if i were to go to cls over berk? guess this is more of an employment rather than a debt question.

on a side note, how is berk's lrap compared to columbia's?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:29 pm

CA+cheaper screams Berkeley to me. What are you getting hung up on, the prestige of Columbia? Amazing school but that is so much debt. Plus I don't think it will help you get CA near as much as Berkeley considering lack of ties.

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:31 pm

[img]
Real Madrid wrote:
banjo wrote:
Redamon1 wrote:

Also this:

2010-11

This is just all around bad advice. You aren't really considering OP's desires and you don't fully understand the information you're citing. Case in point: Columbia did not (and does not) place better into PI than Berkeley. Their higher LST number comes from the fact that they have over 8 percent of their class in school-funded positions that count for PI. If you subtract that from the PI number it's not even close.
[/img]

1) OP expressed a desire to clerk and/or do PI. He expressed a desire to practice in CA upon graduation but has lived on the east coast all his life. OP is not even close to dead-set on a location or type of law. In his last post, he also asked about big law prospects. He hasn't mentioned a PI background. In any other thread on TLS, people would have just proceeded as if he were just your average kid in law school who would do OCI and hope for any legal job that could service debt.

2) I am an 0L, but I understand the information I'm citing. I know that CLS placed 8% into school-funded positions. I also know that Berkeley placed about 2% into school-funded positions. If you're going to subtract the full school-funded amounts from both schools' PI placement, you end up with what--a 4% edge to Berkeley? That's not huge. 2Ls and 3Ls routinely attribute differences like that to self-selection and noise in the data. Even if there is a Berkeley PI advantage, it does not overcome CLS's obvious edge in overall good outcomes.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:39 pm

banjo wrote:1) OP expressed a desire to clerk and/or do PI. He expressed a desire to practice in CA upon graduation but has lived on the east coast all his life. OP is not even close to dead-set on a location or type of law. In his last post, he also asked about big law prospects. He hasn't mentioned a PI background. In any other thread on TLS, people would have just proceeded as if he were just your average kid in law school who would do OCI and hope for any legal job that could service debt.

2) I am an 0L, but I understand the information I'm citing. I know that CLS placed 8% into school-funded positions. I also know that Berkeley placed about 2% into school-funded positions. If you're going to subtract the full school-funded amounts from both schools' PI placement, you end up with what--a 4% edge to Berkeley? That's not huge. 2Ls and 3Ls routinely attribute differences like that to self-selection and noise in the data. Even if there is a Berkeley PI advantage, it does not overcome CLS's obvious edge in overall good outcomes.
Why are you attributing Berkeley's greater PI percentage to self-selection but not CLS's "obvious edge in overall good outcomes?"

Real Madrid

Silver

Post by Real Madrid » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:24 pm

1) OP expressed a desire to clerk and/or do PI. He expressed a desire to practice in CA upon graduation but has lived on the east coast all his life. OP is not even close to dead-set on a location or type of law. In his last post, he also asked about big law prospects. He hasn't mentioned a PI background. In any other thread on TLS, people would have just proceeded as if he were just your average kid in law school who would do OCI and hope for any legal job that could service debt.

While 2.2% is a small percentage to argue over, I'll simply point out to you that Berkeley's 2.2% school-funded rate are short-term, part-time jobs. The 14.7% PI number is full-time, long-term. So, I guess you really don't understand what you're citing.

untar614

Silver

Post by untar614 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:35 pm

Berk has 14.7% vs Columbia's 16.8% FT/LT PI jobs

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:47 pm

Real Madrid wrote:

While 2.2% is a small percentage to argue over, I'll simply point out to you that Berkeley's 2.2% school-funded rate are short-term, part-time jobs. The 14.7% PI number is full-time, long-term. So, I guess you really don't understand what you're citing.
That's a fair correction.

OP, what did you decide?

ETA: dixiecupdrinking, CLS had a 4-5% lower un-employment score using rayiner's method for 2011 and 2012. I'm sure there's a way to equivocate that data too, but it's not as easy to explain away with self-selection. People don't self-select into bad outcomes.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”