Notre Dame (60k) vs. Emory (78k)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
epgenius

Re: Notre Dame (60k) vs. Emory (78k)

Postby epgenius » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:51 pm

deuceindc wrote:Emory isn't going to help you in NYC/DC/LA. ND is better, but not much. GWU at sticker? Just don't.

Gun to my head, Notre Dame. But I wouldn't go at that price.

You don't need a law degree to work in CNN or in State. If that's your end game, there are a dozen faster, easier, cheaper, considerably-less-risky ways to get there. I know the temptation to go to law school now to do something is alluring, but if you're going to "see what piques my interest" I definitely would not go.

Finally, a worthwhile response. Thank you. As far as GWU, I don't think I'd go sticker, but I don't think I'd have to... I've yet to receive word but everyone I've talked to with similar numbers has been getting around 60-80k. I just need somewhere to have in my back pocket right now because, to the best of my abilities, I'm pushing hard at the ones I've been waitlisted (mind you, not in an annoying way).

epgenius

Postby epgenius » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:52 pm

deputydog wrote:Alright, I'll play by your rules. Go to Emory because the weather is hotter and there are more hot chicks in Atlanta. Enjoy not listening to sound advice.

Duly noted, thank you!

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:54 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

epgenius

Postby epgenius » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:59 pm

rad lulz wrote:
epgenius wrote:Because I don't know that I want to be taking career advice from someone who, by all logistical assessment, doesn't seem to have a job...

"logistical assessment" - you sound like a pompous buffoon

Also I'm gonna give you a second to think about why the above conclusion doesn't follow the premise of your statement

It makes sense. How can someone with a stable career in law who is obviously knowledgeable on all subjects concerning going to law school (as long as they refer to going to one of 14, scratch that, really one of 3, law schools) afford to spend so much time doling out advice to prospective students? Logistically, it does not make sense. Do you, or do you not, have a stable, high-earning job in the legal profession?

objection_your_honor

Postby objection_your_honor » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:59 pm

epgenius wrote:...by all logistical assessment...

--ImageRemoved--

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:01 pm

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:02 pm

rad lulz wrote:
epgenius wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
epgenius wrote:Because I don't know that I want to be taking career advice from someone who, by all logistical assessment, doesn't seem to have a job...

Also I'm gonna give you a second to think about why the above conclusion doesn't follow the premise of your statement

It makes sense. How can someone with a stable career in law who is obviously knowledgeable on all subjects concerning going to law school (as long as they refer to going to one of 14, scratch that, really one of 3, law schools) afford to spend so much time doling out advice to prospective students? Logistically, it does not make sense. Do you, or do you not, have a stable, high-earning job in the legal profession?

I think you need to do a better logistical assessment

He's already dinged at UPS for sure :lol:

epgenius

Postby epgenius » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:05 pm

rad lulz wrote:
epgenius wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

I think you need to do a better logistical assessment

I'll take that as a "no". No, rad lulz does not have a stable, high-earning career in the legal profession -- thereby rendering him bitter and callous toward people asking for worthwhile advice. No, rad lulz does not know what he's talking about. No, rad lulz should not be giving said advice.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:08 pm

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:09 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:

Considering the LST stats from the schools, there are plenty of people who would be down to drive DAT UPS truck after graduation

epgenius

Postby epgenius » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:15 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote:

Considering the LST stats from the schools, there are plenty of people who would be down to drive DAT UPS truck after graduation

Because I am assured to be in the bottom 15-20% of my class? Having never been anywhere near there, logically that must be where I am going to end up. I'm sure there are a fair amount of people who would be down to drive DAT UPS truck but you aren't that willing to leave the position are you? Though posting on TLS while driving is pretty dangerous and should get you fired -- so maybe they have hope after all.

epgenius

Postby epgenius » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:17 pm

rad lulz wrote:
epgenius wrote:I'll take that as a "no". No, rad lulz does not have a stable, high-earning career in the legal profession -- thereby rendering him bitter and callous toward people asking for worthwhile advice. No, rad lulz does not know what he's talking about. No, rad lulz should not be giving said advice.

Query:

Why do you think people who haven't looked for an entry level job in a decade

Would be better to give advice than people who are doing or have done the job search now

Do a better logistical assessment

Because they are the ones I will be looking to to hire me. I'm not looking to be hired by a law school failure who can't get a job after graduation, is forced to wait tables and then has to post on a law school forum with his cautionary tale.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:19 pm

epgenius

Postby epgenius » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:22 pm

rad lulz wrote:
epgenius wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote:

Because I am assured to be in the bottom 15-20% of my class? Having never been anywhere near there, logically that must be where I am going to end up. I'm sure there are a fair amount of people who would be down to drive DAT UPS truck but you aren't that willing to leave the position are you? Though posting on TLS while driving is pretty dangerous and should get you fired -- so maybe they have hope after all.

Reexamine your logistical assessment

I'll be sure to do that -- just make sure to make all the deliveries on time.

star fox

Postby star fox » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:05 pm

epgenius wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote:

Right because Notre Dame and Emory are accepting so many people from the bottom 15-20 % of the class. I have a similar scholarship offer from ND but am turning it down to retake. Wanna give myself a better shot at minimzing my debt and reaching my employment goals. Insulting posters giving you free advice is lame.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:07 pm

epgenius wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
epgenius wrote:I'll take that as a "no". No, rad lulz does not have a stable, high-earning career in the legal profession -- thereby rendering him bitter and callous toward people asking for worthwhile advice. No, rad lulz does not know what he's talking about. No, rad lulz should not be giving said advice.

Query:

Why do you think people who haven't looked for an entry level job in a decade

Would be better to give advice than people who are doing or have done the job search now

Do a better logistical assessment

Because they are the ones I will be looking to to hire me. I'm not looking to be hired by a law school failure who can't get a job after graduation, is forced to wait tables and then has to post on a law school forum with his cautionary tale.

Maybe you should just post your query on top-diplomat-schools.com
But seriously just get an MPA or MPP since the career you desire doesn't exist for lawyers. Especially not entry level jobs.

nebula666

Postby nebula666 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:14 pm

If you want to work in international human rights, join the peace corps.

Postby 052220151 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:22 pm

nebula666 wrote:If you want to work in international human rights, join the peace corps.

This is what needs to be told to 99% of the, "I want to practice international law", crowd.

nebula666

Postby nebula666 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:01 pm

epgenius wrote:
deputydog wrote:
epgenius wrote:
deputydog wrote:re Diplomacy, an associate from my firm left a few years ago to be a diplomat, he graduated top of his class at Yale and spoke several languages. He is an actual special snowflake. Those are the people you will be competing against.

Good for him. No, not necessarily to be a diplomat but maybe to try to find work in the State Department or something. I don't really know, part of the reason why I'd like to go to law school is to see what piques my interest. And for the record, not everyone can just up and decide to delay their life for another year to retake the LSAT and go through the cycle again. Not everyone can go to HYS and, if you did, truly, congratulations, I'm very proud of you, but the vast majority of people cannot go to those schools so, instead of advising to forgo years of plans and life decisions in speculation of achieving something incredibly difficult, why not give me some insight into the schools I've mentioned?

Everyone can delay law school a year to retake. Or is there a gun to your head?

So what if there was? Who cares why I'm not willing to do it? I'm not willing to do it! Obviously I have taken that into consideration, if I hadn't, I would have said "should I go to Notre Dame, Emory or retake?" I didn't do that, I asked for a comparison between Notre Dame and Emory, if you have nothing to say about those two schools besides that I shouldn't go to either, I don't want to hear your opinion. The exact same people patrol this website offering the exact same advice that doesn't reflect in the least what people are asking. Did you go HYS and are you now a partner at the world's biggest international human rights law firm? Or do you have something useful for me because I'm not here to be told to not go to either school, I'm here to compare the two.

If you want to work in Georgia at a mid size and MAYBE biglaw firm if you do very well in school, go to Emory. You would have to be at the very top of your class to break into NY or DC and would have almost no chance of getting a decent job in LA from Emory.

If you want to have a 1/4 chance of working in LA or Chicago, MAYBE NY, go to Notre Dame. If you aren't in the top 20-30% of your class, you should probably be content with working in a small firm in the midwest.

I'm sorry for giving you actual advice instead of telling you that you can work in "treaty law," whatever you think that is. Even from Yale, the jobs you are interested in are nearly impossible to come by. If you aren't content working at a mid-size firm in either Georgia or the Midwest and not practicing the crazy areas of law you think exist, don't go to law school.

Also, even though you have 0% chance of getting a job in whatever you think "international human rights law" is, what exactly are your qualifications? If you are a white dude who only speaks English, I don't really know why you think a degree from a T30 school will get you even close to a 1% chance at the types of "jobs" you are talking about.

I'm sure you are a special snowflake and all but it doesn't matter. You are likely going to end up at median at Notre Dame or Emory, hoping for $70k / year at a small firm in a mid-size city.

Gunnar Stahl

Postby Gunnar Stahl » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:44 pm

You're getting good advice in this thread, and no one is going to tell you what you want to hear. You probably shouldn't go to law school, based on your goals.

DaRascal

Postby DaRascal » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:38 pm

epgenius wrote:
DaRascal wrote:Notre Dame for sure. You're gonna be bored at Emory during College Football season and it's way too hot down there I would think.

You don't think the Falcons, Braves and Hawks could satisfy me? I'm very interested in journalism having worked for a few years as a sports broadcaster and know the Emory has good ties to CNN in Atlanta.

Very true. I believe Notre Dame and Emory both give you good chances at International Law!! Someone has to practice international law and why not a solid graduate from a top 30 school such as ND or Emory? Follow your heart, my friend. These are schools that many would kill to get into. I'd choose ND personally.

sublime

Postby sublime » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:35 am

Return to “Choosing a Law School”