Notre Dame (60k) vs. Emory (78k)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
epgenius

Notre Dame (60k) vs. Emory (78k)

Postby epgenius » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:04 pm

So I'm having a really hard time trying to choose between Notre Dame and Emory right now. Overall, I want to be in either D.C., NY or LA, and am looking at going into either International Law, Civil Rights Advocacy or, possibly, something to do with Journalism or Diplomacy. Additionally, I would prefer to live in a city and would like access to flying home to California if I should need to at a moment's notice but reputation and job placement is very important to me. Does anyone have any fresh perspectives on these schools?

COA @ Notre Dame = $121,000
COA @ Emory = $130,000

Re: Notre Dame (60k) vs. Emory (78k)

Postby 052220151 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:38 pm

epgenius wrote:looking at going into either International Law, Civil Rights Advocacy or, possibly, something to do with Journalism or Diplomacy.

Lol. You will do neither of these things from either of that's schools. I vote retake or don't go.

epgenius

Postby epgenius » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:41 pm

deputydog wrote:
epgenius wrote:looking at going into either International Law, Civil Rights Advocacy or, possibly, something to do with Journalism or Diplomacy.

Lol. You will do neither of these things from either of that's schools. I vote retake or don't go.

That's a rather bombastic assessment, don't you think?

DaRascal

Postby DaRascal » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:41 pm

Notre Dame for sure. You're gonna be bored at Emory during College Football season and it's way too hot down there I would think.

epgenius

Postby epgenius » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:46 pm

DaRascal wrote:Notre Dame for sure. You're gonna be bored at Emory during College Football season and it's way too hot down there I would think.

You don't think the Falcons, Braves and Hawks could satisfy me? I'm very interested in journalism having worked for a few years as a sports broadcaster and know the Emory has good ties to CNN in Atlanta.

Postby 052220151 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:00 pm

Dood, retake and go to a school that makes your super unrealistic career goals, a little less super unrealistic.

ETA - ND and Emory are decent choices in certain situations. Your situation/desired outcome isn't compatible with these schools. Where are your ties BTW?

epgenius

Postby epgenius » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:07 pm

deputydog wrote:Dood, retake and go to a school that makes your super unrealistic career goals, a little less super unrealistic.

ETA - ND and Emory are decent choices in certain situations. Your situation/desired outcome isn't compatible with these schools. Where are your ties BTW?

I'm awaiting my decision from GW, my plan is to hopefully get that decision before Friday (seat deposit deadlines), put in a seat deposit at GW if necessary and then push for the schools at which I've been waitlisted (USC, UCLA, Cornell and Columbia). I've also yet to hear from a few top schools. My family is in LA but I have extended family and friends in NY and DC. Just for clarification, what makes my career goals so super unrealistic? I didn't say I am going to get a Supreme Court clerkship, I said those are the types of law I'm interested in, there are plenty of opportunities throughout for someone who's gone to a top 25 law school.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:14 pm

What do you think it means to "go into international law"?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:15 pm

epgenius wrote:
deputydog wrote:

That's a rather bombastic assessment, don't you think?

no

Postby 052220151 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:17 pm

epgenius wrote:
deputydog wrote:Dood, retake and go to a school that makes your super unrealistic career goals, a little less super unrealistic.

I'm awaiting my decision from GW, my plan is to hopefully get that decision before Friday (seat deposit deadlines), put in a seat deposit at GW if necessary and then push for the schools at which I've been waitlisted (USC, UCLA, Cornell and Columbia). I've also yet to hear from a few top schools. My family is in LA but I have extended family and friends in NY and DC. Just for clarification, what makes my career goals so super unrealistic? I didn't say I am going to get a Supreme Court clerkship, I said those are the types of law I'm interested in, there are plenty of opportunities throughout for someone who's gone to a top 25 law school.

Diplomacy/"International Law"/Civil Rights Advocacy are all incredibly competitive fields, I'd imagine that the folks getting those jobs are HYS, or top of the class CCN. I'm not really sure what you mean by international law either, and I have no idea what "do something with journalism" means. Do you mean in house at a media company? If so, you will most certainly need to go big law before you can get a job like that. If you're already a broadcaster and want to work in that field, then keep your current job.

Your best bet is to retake and do better in the T14 and pick up schollies.

Postby 052220151 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:22 pm

re Diplomacy, an associate from my firm left a few years ago to be a diplomat, he graduated top of his class at Yale and spoke several languages. He is an actual special snowflake. Those are the people you will be competing against.

epgenius

Postby epgenius » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:25 pm

Ti Malice wrote:What do you think it means to "go into international law"?

Ideally, international human rights law, law of sea or treaty law but I'm not set on any of the above. Basically I have a few career paths I would like to pursue and, though I'm not sure exactly what I want to do, I know that I need a law degree for them, or a law degree would be very beneficial.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:28 pm

epgenius wrote:

Ideally, international human rights law, law of sea or treaty law but I'm not set on any of the above. Basically I have a few career paths I would like to pursue and, though I'm not sure exactly what I want to do, I know that I need a law degree for them, or a law degree would be very beneficial.

No offense, but are you serious? Do you realize how impossible/non-existent these jobs are?

epgenius

Postby epgenius » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:30 pm

deputydog wrote:re Diplomacy, an associate from my firm left a few years ago to be a diplomat, he graduated top of his class at Yale and spoke several languages. He is an actual special snowflake. Those are the people you will be competing against.

Good for him. No, not necessarily to be a diplomat but maybe to try to find work in the State Department or something. I don't really know, part of the reason why I'd like to go to law school is to see what piques my interest. And for the record, not everyone can just up and decide to delay their life for another year to retake the LSAT and go through the cycle again. Not everyone can go to HYS and, if you did, truly, congratulations, I'm very proud of you, but the vast majority of people cannot go to those schools so, instead of advising to forgo years of plans and life decisions in speculation of achieving something incredibly difficult, why not give me some insight into the schools I've mentioned?

epgenius

Postby epgenius » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:31 pm

ImNoScar wrote:
epgenius wrote:

No offense, but are you serious? Do you realize how impossible/non-existent these jobs are?

You're telling me absolutely no one has gone to Notre Dame or Emory law and then gone on to do something in international human rights law, law of sea or treaty law? Not a single person??

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:31 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:32 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 052220151 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:33 pm

epgenius wrote:
deputydog wrote:re Diplomacy, an associate from my firm left a few years ago to be a diplomat, he graduated top of his class at Yale and spoke several languages. He is an actual special snowflake. Those are the people you will be competing against.

Good for him. No, not necessarily to be a diplomat but maybe to try to find work in the State Department or something. I don't really know, part of the reason why I'd like to go to law school is to see what piques my interest. And for the record, not everyone can just up and decide to delay their life for another year to retake the LSAT and go through the cycle again. Not everyone can go to HYS and, if you did, truly, congratulations, I'm very proud of you, but the vast majority of people cannot go to those schools so, instead of advising to forgo years of plans and life decisions in speculation of achieving something incredibly difficult, why not give me some insight into the schools I've mentioned?

Everyone can delay law school a year to retake. Or is there a gun to your head?

epgenius

Postby epgenius » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:39 pm

deputydog wrote:
epgenius wrote:

Everyone can delay law school a year to retake. Or is there a gun to your head?

So what if there was? Who cares why I'm not willing to do it? I'm not willing to do it! Obviously I have taken that into consideration, if I hadn't, I would have said "should I go to Notre Dame, Emory or retake?" I didn't do that, I asked for a comparison between Notre Dame and Emory, if you have nothing to say about those two schools besides that I shouldn't go to either, I don't want to hear your opinion. The exact same people patrol this website offering the exact same advice that doesn't reflect in the least what people are asking. Did you go HYS and are you now a partner at the world's biggest international human rights law firm? Or do you have something useful for me because I'm not here to be told to not go to either school, I'm here to compare the two.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:41 pm

epgenius

Postby epgenius » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:45 pm

rad lulz wrote:
epgenius wrote:So what if there was? Who cares why I'm not willing to do it? I'm not willing to do it!

"Bros I'm gonna shoot myself in the nads or in the chest. I've made up my mind. WHICH ONE SHOULD I DO BROS"

Exactly... So?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:47 pm

deuceindc

Postby deuceindc » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:47 pm

Emory isn't going to help you in NYC/DC/LA. ND is better, but not much. GWU at sticker? Just don't.

Gun to my head, Notre Dame. But I wouldn't go at that price.

You don't need a law degree to work in CNN or in State. If that's your end game, there are a dozen faster, easier, cheaper, considerably-less-risky ways to get there. I know the temptation to go to law school now to do something is alluring, but if you're going to "see what piques my interest" I definitely would not go.

epgenius

Postby epgenius » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:49 pm

rad lulz wrote:
epgenius wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
epgenius wrote:So what if there was? Who cares why I'm not willing to do it? I'm not willing to do it!

"Bros I'm gonna shoot myself in the nads or in the chest. I've made up my mind. WHICH ONE SHOULD I DO BROS"

Exactly... So?

Don't shoot yourself.

Not what I asked... Seriously though, every single time I've posted something you've been within the first five to comment over a span of many, many months. What is it that you do, rad lulz? Because I don't know that I want to be taking career advice from someone who, by all logistical assessment, doesn't seem to have a job...

Postby 052220151 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:50 pm

Alright, I'll play by your rules. Go to Emory because the weather is hotter and there are more hot chicks in Atlanta. Enjoy not listening to sound advice.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”