Columbia (170K) v. Penn (150K) v. UVA (120K)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Columbia v. Penn v. UVA

Poll ended at Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:30 pm

Columbia (170K debt)
18
47%
Penn (150K debt)
2
5%
UVA (120K debt)
18
47%
 
Total votes: 38

Nationals27
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:01 am

Columbia (170K) v. Penn (150K) v. UVA (120K)

Postby Nationals27 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:30 pm

This is what my decision has come down to. The numbers in parenthesis are the total amount of debt I will have at first repayment. I have not received scholarship money from any of these schools. The difference in cost just comes from COL + in-state tuition for UVA. My parents will be contributing, so that's the reason for the lower debt numbers.

I have significant ties to DC, and would like to end up there, but I'm not dead-set on it. While I'm not opposed to NYC Big Law, I wouldn't call it my first choice.

So, is Columbia the easy choice here? In all honesty, I always saw myself at UVA and I think I'd be the most comfortable there. But, Columbia was a huge long-shot (173/3.36), and I never expected to get in (still not sure how I got in).

Also, do you think I can use a Columbia acceptance to negotiate money from UVA? I really don't think my numbers warrant money from UVA, but I figure it might be worth a shot.

Thanks in advance.

curious66
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: Columbia (170K) v. Penn (150K) v. UVA (120K)

Postby curious66 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:33 pm

Nationals27 wrote:This is what my decision has come down to. The numbers in parenthesis are the total amount of debt I will have at first repayment. I have not received scholarship money from any of these schools. The difference in cost just comes from COL + in-state tuition for UVA. My parents will be contributing, so that's the reason for the lower debt numbers.

I have significant ties to DC, and would like to end up there, but I'm not dead-set on it. While I'm not opposed to NYC Big Law, I wouldn't call it my first choice.

So, is Columbia the easy choice here? In all honesty, I always saw myself at UVA and I think I'd be the most comfortable there. But, Columbia was a huge long-shot (173/3.36), and I never expected to get in (still not sure how I got in).

Also, do you think I can use a Columbia acceptance to negotiate money from UVA? I really don't think my numbers warrant money from UVA, but I figure it might be worth a shot.

Thanks in advance.


I would do UVA.. better shot at DC and you will save $ in the process.

User avatar
Crowing
Posts: 2636
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: Columbia (170K) v. Penn (150K) v. UVA (120K)

Postby Crowing » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:38 pm

curious66 wrote:
Nationals27 wrote:This is what my decision has come down to. The numbers in parenthesis are the total amount of debt I will have at first repayment. I have not received scholarship money from any of these schools. The difference in cost just comes from COL + in-state tuition for UVA. My parents will be contributing, so that's the reason for the lower debt numbers.

I have significant ties to DC, and would like to end up there, but I'm not dead-set on it. While I'm not opposed to NYC Big Law, I wouldn't call it my first choice.

So, is Columbia the easy choice here? In all honesty, I always saw myself at UVA and I think I'd be the most comfortable there. But, Columbia was a huge long-shot (173/3.36), and I never expected to get in (still not sure how I got in).

Also, do you think I can use a Columbia acceptance to negotiate money from UVA? I really don't think my numbers warrant money from UVA, but I figure it might be worth a shot.

Thanks in advance.


I would do UVA.. better shot at DC and you will save $ in the process.


I'm curious why you say this. General consensus on TLS seems to be that one of the advantages of T6 is better placement into DC. I don't really know either way as I've done 0 research on DC personally but I'm just putting that out there and hopefully others can elucidate.

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: Columbia (170K) v. Penn (150K) v. UVA (120K)

Postby 005618502 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:46 pm

Crowing wrote:
curious66 wrote:
Nationals27 wrote:This is what my decision has come down to. The numbers in parenthesis are the total amount of debt I will have at first repayment. I have not received scholarship money from any of these schools. The difference in cost just comes from COL + in-state tuition for UVA. My parents will be contributing, so that's the reason for the lower debt numbers.

I have significant ties to DC, and would like to end up there, but I'm not dead-set on it. While I'm not opposed to NYC Big Law, I wouldn't call it my first choice.

So, is Columbia the easy choice here? In all honesty, I always saw myself at UVA and I think I'd be the most comfortable there. But, Columbia was a huge long-shot (173/3.36), and I never expected to get in (still not sure how I got in).

Also, do you think I can use a Columbia acceptance to negotiate money from UVA? I really don't think my numbers warrant money from UVA, but I figure it might be worth a shot.

Thanks in advance.


I would do UVA.. better shot at DC and you will save $ in the process.


I'm curious why you say this. General consensus on TLS seems to be that one of the advantages of T6 is better placement into DC. I don't really know either way as I've done 0 research on DC personally but I'm just putting that out there and hopefully others can elucidate.


UVA is considered the king od DC, at least it was pre-ITE. I think one thing that helps is the number of UVA alum in DC and UVA being the best school in close proximity. DC is competitive and I dont think most firms there will dig deeper into the class at C than UVA.

OP, I would go to UVA. graduating with only 120k in debt from UVA is a pretty badass spot to be in. Though, Columbia is a great option to. I think if you are not interested in NYC (where Columbia has the clear advantage) you should go with UVA, save 50k

User avatar
NoodleyOne
Posts: 2358
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Columbia (170K) v. Penn (150K) v. UVA (120K)

Postby NoodleyOne » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:51 pm

Drop out of UVA so I can get your scholly money.

Honestly, between C and UVA. Although... with a big C offer, which you seem to have, you may be able to get more out of UVA to make your decision easier.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9652
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Columbia (170K) v. Penn (150K) v. UVA (120K)

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:54 pm

While your debt figures are a perfectly appropriate way of looking at this, I think of it as paying sticker at UVA vs sticker at Columbia. Now if you had a 75K scholly at UVA or something, that would seal the deal for me here, but its tough to justify in my mind otherwise. I would pay sticker at CLS all day over UVA, even for DC, because you MAY change your mind over the course of 3 years, in which case you've opened up more opportunities for yourself.

I don't think you can go "wrong" either way though.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9652
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Columbia (170K) v. Penn (150K) v. UVA (120K)

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:55 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:Drop out of UVA so I can get your scholly money.

Honestly, between C and UVA. Although... with a big C offer, which you seem to have, you may be able to get more out of UVA to make your decision easier.


he has no offers from anyone, his parents are footing the difference between full COA and these numbers

User avatar
NoodleyOne
Posts: 2358
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Columbia (170K) v. Penn (150K) v. UVA (120K)

Postby NoodleyOne » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:56 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:Drop out of UVA so I can get your scholly money.

Honestly, between C and UVA. Although... with a big C offer, which you seem to have, you may be able to get more out of UVA to make your decision easier.


he has no offers from anyone, his parents are footing the difference between full COA and these numbers

Ah, I should read more.

Still, negotiate with UVA. They should budge a bit.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9652
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Columbia (170K) v. Penn (150K) v. UVA (120K)

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:58 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:Drop out of UVA so I can get your scholly money.

Honestly, between C and UVA. Although... with a big C offer, which you seem to have, you may be able to get more out of UVA to make your decision easier.


he has no offers from anyone, his parents are footing the difference between full COA and these numbers

Ah, I should read more.

Still, negotiate with UVA. They should budge a bit.


Yea I agree, even mentioning offers from CLS and Penn might sway them to give you at least something. If you get that UVA debt under 100K that would make it an easier choice

curious66
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: Columbia (170K) v. Penn (150K) v. UVA (120K)

Postby curious66 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:08 pm

Crowing wrote:
curious66 wrote:
Nationals27 wrote:This is what my decision has come down to. The numbers in parenthesis are the total amount of debt I will have at first repayment. I have not received scholarship money from any of these schools. The difference in cost just comes from COL + in-state tuition for UVA. My parents will be contributing, so that's the reason for the lower debt numbers.
I have significant ties to DC, and would like to end up there, but I'm not dead-set on it. While I'm not opposed to NYC Big Law, I wouldn't call it my first choice.
So, is Columbia the easy choice here? In all honesty, I always saw myself at UVA and I think I'd be the most comfortable there. But, Columbia was a huge long-shot (173/3.36), and I never expected to get in (still not sure how I got in).
Also, do you think I can use a Columbia acceptance to negotiate money from UVA? I really don't think my numbers warrant money from UVA, but I figure it might be worth a shot.
Thanks in advance.

I would do UVA.. better shot at DC and you will save $ in the process.

I'm curious why you say this. General consensus on TLS seems to be that one of the advantages of T6 is better placement into DC. I don't really know either way as I've done 0 research on DC personally but I'm just putting that out there and hopefully others can elucidate.


I was saying this because of his ties to the area, lower cost due to home base and UVA does very well in DC. Just thinking of the cost factor

SportsFan
Posts: 722
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:26 pm

Re: Columbia (170K) v. Penn (150K) v. UVA (120K)

Postby SportsFan » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:12 pm

No idea what UVA or CLS are like, but getting DC from Penn requires top 1/3 grades. If OP really wants DC, I'd go to whichever of CLS or UVA makes it easier to get DC from median.

User avatar
Doorkeeper
Posts: 4872
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: Columbia (170K) v. Penn (150K) v. UVA (120K)

Postby Doorkeeper » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:12 pm

1. Use Columbia acceptance to get some money from UVA

2. Ask the Career Services Offices (or students) at Columbia and UVA what it requires from each school to get to DC. LST has 22% of UVA in DC and 7% of Columbia in DC, but this could just be selection bias.

If there's no difference, go UVA. If UVA gives you a scholly, go UVA. If DC goes deeper into Columbia than UVA, go Columbia.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests