Help: Cant choose money or prestige SJU/Fordham/BC/Cardozo Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
sinfiery

Gold

Re: Help: Cant choose money or prestige SJU/Fordham/BC/Cardozo

Post by sinfiery » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:54 am

froglee wrote: which means?
Trick me into reading your post history. I've done it like 4 times now.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:07 am

St. Johns or Cardozo won't ruin your life with those scholarships. Cross off Fordham, it's not ~$150k better than St. Johns. BC is defensible if your parents are paying, otherwise don't do it.

You really should retake.

tennisgirl5

New

Post by tennisgirl5 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:25 am

If retaking is not an option, why not consider SJU or Cardozo with scholarships that first year, kill 1L and transfer 2L?

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:27 am

froglee wrote:
sinfiery wrote:
froglee wrote:Go to Cardozo. Every partner I spoke to said they will hire from this school.
You are amazing at what you do.
which means?
That you're an idiot.

froglee

New

Post by froglee » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:54 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:
froglee wrote:
sinfiery wrote:
froglee wrote:Go to Cardozo. Every partner I spoke to said they will hire from this school.
You are amazing at what you do.
which means?
That you're an idiot.

Cardozo is a great school that can offer OP a lot of career options....too bad you can't handle this fact.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:56 am

froglee wrote:Cardozo is a great school that can offer OP a lot of career options....too bad you can't handle this fact.
Statistics disagree with you.

Scotchandsoda

New

Post by Scotchandsoda » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:00 am

mike09 wrote:ok well if retaking the lsat is not an option and lets say none have prestige but some are clearly better than others. any help now?
If you insist on not retaking, and seeing as how you have no idea what you want to do with your JD, I'd say go with St.Johns and If you lose your scholarship then drop out.

Scotchandsoda

New

Post by Scotchandsoda » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:02 am

Go to Cardozo. Every partner I spoke to said they will hire from this school.[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]

since when was Cardozo a "great" school? and seriously, just cause every partner YOU spoke to does not mean its a great school. All its means is that every partner you spoke to thinks its a great school.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:10 am

romothesavior wrote:
froglee wrote:Cardozo is a great school that can offer OP a lot of career options....too bad you can't handle this fact.
Statistics disagree with you.
Didn't you hear? At least ten of last years graduates had jobs!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

andreskicdo

Bronze

Post by andreskicdo » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:21 am

Retake, get some WE and reapply

envisciguy

Bronze

Post by envisciguy » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:25 am

tennisgirl5 wrote:If retaking is not an option, why not consider SJU or Cardozo with scholarships that first year, kill 1L and transfer 2L?
No.

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:43 pm

sinfiery wrote:
froglee wrote: which means?
Trick me into reading your post history. I've done it like 4 times now.
lololol

im still trying to figure out what the op means by prestige. im not trying to be elitist; im legitimately wondering what is being considered more prestigious here between bc and fordham.

dirtrida2

Bronze

Post by dirtrida2 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:53 pm

You should have blanketed more schools. FWIW I got similar offers with lower numbers.

Sitting with 30k at Dozo (not that I plan on attending).

Full ride at St. Johns (they won't drop the stips - do not attend).

WL'd at Fordham and still UR at BC.

Any reason why you want to remain in NYC? Have you even tried negotiating?

With that GPA the obvious answer is to retake, but I am just confused as to why your offers are so low.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mike09

New

Post by mike09 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:24 pm

NYC is home and family is here. I am all about family and that is why i will consider as far as boston. I don't know why the offers were not better but thats what they were.

On a side note I do have some connections with the sports world and in particular sports agencies.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:28 pm

mike09 wrote:NYC is home and family is here. I am all about family and that is why i will consider as far as boston. I don't know why the offers were not better but thats what they were.

On a side note I do have some connections with the sports world and in particular sports agencies.
For your sake and your family's sake, retake.

mike09

New

Post by mike09 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:32 pm

i have also received a full tuition scholarship for my first year at Uconn law. and in state tutiton the next two years if i change my residency. still same opinion?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:40 pm

mike09 wrote:i have also received a full tuition scholarship for my first year at Uconn law. and in state tutiton the next two years if i change my residency. still same opinion?
If you want NYC, yes. Fordham with money, or even a full ride at Dozo, would be decent options. But sticker at Fordham or 100k at Dozo makes no sense.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

fredmerz

New

Post by fredmerz » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:09 pm

TripTrip wrote:
mike09 wrote:Stipulations for scholarships range from top half of class for St. Johns and maintain 3.0 for Cardozo
Both of those stipulations make it more likely than not that you will lose your scholarship after the first year.
Why is it more likely than not that he/she will not be in the top half of their class at St Johns after the first year? Some of you are so cynical. It's possible to go to any of these schools and get a good job and have a wonderful life. Of course one should be aware of the statistics, but some of you doomers are ridiculous.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:30 pm

fredmerz wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
mike09 wrote:Stipulations for scholarships range from top half of class for St. Johns and maintain 3.0 for Cardozo
Both of those stipulations make it more likely than not that you will lose your scholarship after the first year.
Why is it more likely than not that he/she will not be in the top half of their class at St Johns after the first year? Some of you are so cynical. It's possible to go to any of these schools and get a good job and have a wonderful life. Of course one should be aware of the statistics, but some of you doomers are ridiculous.
Accounting for attrition, more than half of the entering class will, by definition, not be in the top half of the class. It's simple statistics, not ridiculous.

fredmerz

New

Post by fredmerz » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:46 pm

TripTrip wrote:
fredmerz wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
Accounting for attrition, more than half of the entering class will, by definition, not be in the top half of the class. It's simple statistics, not ridiculous.
Yes, but you aren't talking about a generic St John's student. They are giving this person a scholarship based on their likelihood of doing well at the school. Someone with a 3.8 and a 164 should be in the top half of their class at St Johns. Isn't the combination of those two factors supposed to be at least a rough guide one's ability to succeed in law school.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:02 pm

fredmerz wrote:Yes, but you aren't talking about a generic St John's student. They are giving this person a scholarship based on their likelihood of doing well at the school. Someone with a 3.8 and a 164 should be in the top half of their class at St Johns. Isn't the combination of those two factors supposed to be at least a rough guide one's ability to succeed in law school.
I'd love to see some data to back that up.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

empyreanrrv

Bronze

Post by empyreanrrv » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:10 pm

TripTrip wrote:
fredmerz wrote:Yes, but you aren't talking about a generic St John's student. They are giving this person a scholarship based on their likelihood of doing well at the school. Someone with a 3.8 and a 164 should be in the top half of their class at St Johns. Isn't the combination of those two factors supposed to be at least a rough guide one's ability to succeed in law school.
This horse has been beaten to death elsewhere on the forum, but there's around a ~.45 correlation between LSAT/UGPA and law school performance. It exists, but you can't rely on it or use it to predict how you will do. Yes, he has better than a 50% chance to end up in the top half of the class, but it would be idiotic not to plan for median.

untar614

Silver

Post by untar614 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:05 am

empyreanrrv wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
This horse has been beaten to death elsewhere on the forum, but there's around a ~.45 correlation between LSAT/UGPA and law school performance. It exists, but you can't rely on it or use it to predict how you will do. Yes, he has better than a 50% chance to end up in the top half of the class, but it would be idiotic not to plan for median.
Source? Also, a confidence interval would be more useful.

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:16 am

untar614 wrote:
empyreanrrv wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
He's probably referring to this video
Last edited by Cobretti on Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

M458

Bronze

Post by M458 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:16 am

untar614 wrote:
empyreanrrv wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
Enjoy:

http://www.lsac.org/jd/pdfs/lsat-score- ... rmance.pdf

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”