NYU ($) vs. Duke ($$) vs. Columbia

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

NYU v. Duke v. Columbia

NYU (190k)
47
69%
Duke (145k)
15
22%
Columbia (240k)
6
9%
 
Total votes: 68

heybobo
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:00 pm

NYU ($) vs. Duke ($$) vs. Columbia

Postby heybobo » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:11 pm

I'm a long-time lurker on TLS and have been reading pretty much all these decision threads. Spent a lot of time in the NYU v. Duke thread getting perspectives but I decided to make my first post because deposit deadlines loom and maybe someone will say something that will really just seal the deal for me.

COA @ Duke is 145k (75k scholarship), NYU is 180k (45k scholarship), and haven't heard anything from Columbia, which has a COA of around 240k. I supposedly should be getting my offer soon (fin aid office said I should have a decision this week). I also have a 75k offer from Chi, and I've submit requests to appeal my packages @ both Duke and NYU using that offer. For many reasons, I have already decided against Chicago.

My considerations:
Not against pursuing something in the private sector (still undecided whether biglaw would be for me...), but most likely will want to pursue PI and pretty much all my work experience thus far points in this direction. I've been leaning towards an interest in environmental/energy law and regulation, but realize this may/will change during law school. NYU's LRAP would be hard for to me give up, even for the extra money, because it seems much more stable, and all things considered, an extra 30k is a relatively small amount to stomach.

At this point, leaning NYU over Columbia (unless I get a comparable offer, which would complicate things) and total toss up btwn NYU and Duke. I'd appreciate any thoughts and thanks in advance! TLS has been a life saver this cycle.
Last edited by heybobo on Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kakistocracy
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:14 am

Re: NYU ($) vs. Duke ($$) vs. Columbia

Postby kakistocracy » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:30 pm

Numbers in your post don't quite match up with the numbers in your poll.

heybobo
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:00 pm

Re: NYU ($) vs. Duke ($$) vs. Columbia

Postby heybobo » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:50 pm

kakistocracy wrote:Numbers in your post don't quite match up with the numbers in your poll.


Oops! I originally used COA (School's estimated COA - Scholarship) in the poll and then listed scholarship amounts in the post (can you tell I'm a first time poster?). Edited my first post to clarify.

dixiecupdrinking
Posts: 3139
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: NYU ($) vs. Duke ($$) vs. Columbia

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:56 pm

Your "not against pursuing something in the private sector" means you will end up pursuing biglaw, hate to say it. Either way, though, Duke or NYU is a reasonable decision with these costs. I think NYU is your best bet, especially taking into account that it will at least expose you to a very thorough public interest community, so you can make as close to an educated decision as is possible on that front.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: NYU ($) vs. Duke ($$) vs. Columbia

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:59 pm

it sounds like you are fond of NYU, and it is probably the best fit for you.

heybobo
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:00 pm

Re: NYU ($) vs. Duke ($$) vs. Columbia

Postby heybobo » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:07 pm

jbagelboy wrote:it sounds like you are fond of NYU, and it is probably the best fit for you.


I have become pretty fond of NYU. There were a lot of things I loved about Duke (small class, ability to cross-take classes @ Nicholas School for Environment, probably not as overwhelming a transition) as well, but the cost was really freaking me out. Actually with all TLS's debt aversion, I thought the poll would swing more in Duke's favor and I wanted some validation that NYU was not crazy. It seems that perhaps it's not!

Anyone have any thoughts on how much it would take for me to consider Columbia over NYU? I doubt I would get an award anywhere near what I've already received, but NYU's deadline is next monday so as soon as I get Columbia's offer, I'm pretty much going to have to make my decision.

toothbrush
Posts: 2388
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Re: NYU ($) vs. Duke ($$) vs. Columbia

Postby toothbrush » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:07 pm

IMO if that difference between Duke and NYU can be nullified by fit. IE go wherever you want to. The money isn't big enough to be a game changer.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: NYU ($) vs. Duke ($$) vs. Columbia

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:42 pm

heybobo wrote:
Anyone have any thoughts on how much it would take for me to consider Columbia over NYU? I doubt I would get an award anywhere near what I've already received, but NYU's deadline is next monday so as soon as I get Columbia's offer, I'm pretty much going to have to make my decision.


Yea I'm stuck in a similar position. with your PI-driven goals, I'm not sure why you would take CLS over NYU at all. but idk

heybobo
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:00 pm

Re: NYU ($) vs. Duke ($$) vs. Columbia

Postby heybobo » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:52 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
heybobo wrote:
Anyone have any thoughts on how much it would take for me to consider Columbia over NYU? I doubt I would get an award anywhere near what I've already received, but NYU's deadline is next monday so as soon as I get Columbia's offer, I'm pretty much going to have to make my decision.


Yea I'm stuck in a similar position. with your PI-driven goals, I'm not sure why you would take CLS over NYU at all. but idk


I went back and forth for a long time. PI's kind of where I've come from but I've had doubts about pursuing it as a career. In my head the argument for CLS is that it would be more of an opportunity to gauge my personal commitment to PI as a career vs being swayed by being around a lot of enthusiastic PI-minded people. But who knows. Good luck with your decision as well, and thanks for the input!

User avatar
Doorkeeper
Posts: 4872
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: NYU ($) vs. Duke ($$) vs. Columbia

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:27 pm

Chi with $75k should be in this poll. In fact, it should be winning this poll.

Also, use the scholarship from Chicago to get NYU to match.


Edit- You said you crossed off Chicago, but gave no reasons. So...why don't you want to go to Chicago?
Last edited by Doorkeeper on Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
WokeUpInACar
Posts: 5513
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:11 pm

Re: NYU ($) vs. Duke ($$) vs. Columbia

Postby WokeUpInACar » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:28 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:Chi with $75k should be in this poll. In fact, it should be winning this poll.

Also, use the scholarship from Chicago to get NYU to match.

heybobo
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:00 pm

Re: NYU ($) vs. Duke ($$) vs. Columbia

Postby heybobo » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:53 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:Chi with $75k should be in this poll. In fact, it should be winning this poll.

Also, use the scholarship from Chicago to get NYU to match.

Edit- You said you crossed off Chicago, but gave no reasons. So...why don't you want to go to Chicago?


I don't want really want to get into the whole thing, it's been a long decision making process and at this point, bringing back options that I've already eliminated is just not going to happen. Among other things, I have an SO that is going to be following me and there are a bunch of constraints because of that.

Also, I am truly truly hoping that NYU responds to my aid appeal and gives me more $$, but I'm trying to manage my expectations. Fingers are crossed.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: NYU ($) vs. Duke ($$) vs. Columbia

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:10 pm

I didn't know about the Chicago 75K.

Duke is out. With 75K from Chicago, you are looking at that matched at NYU and at least 50K from columbia unless you really messed up the way you asked for it or there is some detail about Chicago we don't know about.

this is an nyu vs cls thread. there are many, many examples of this decision on previous years threads if you want some reference

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2737
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: NYU ($) vs. Duke ($$) vs. Columbia

Postby TripTrip » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:37 pm

jbagelboy wrote:this is an nyu vs cls thread.

NYU beats CLS by a wide margin ITT, and I'm normally a CLS caddie.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: NYU ($) vs. Duke ($$) vs. Columbia

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:42 am

TripTrip wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:this is an nyu vs cls thread.

NYU beats CLS by a wide margin ITT, and I'm normally a CLS caddie.


Dont you think it comes down to scholarship negotiations? Or do you say that because of OPs preferences?

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2737
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: NYU ($) vs. Duke ($$) vs. Columbia

Postby TripTrip » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:08 am

jbagelboy wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:this is an nyu vs cls thread.

NYU beats CLS by a wide margin ITT, and I'm normally a CLS caddie.


Dont you think it comes down to scholarship negotiations? Or do you say that because of OPs preferences?

I would be extremely surprised if both CLS and NYU came back with larger scholarships. :?

BigZuck
Posts: 10852
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: NYU ($) vs. Duke ($$) vs. Columbia

Postby BigZuck » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:56 am

COA numbers seem off if its COA minus scholarships and the rest is debt financed. I have a 15K larger scholarship at Duke and it would cost me about 15K more to attend. OP is off by about 30K there. Is interest factored in to all this?

dixiecupdrinking
Posts: 3139
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: NYU ($) vs. Duke ($$) vs. Columbia

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:07 am

BigZuck wrote:COA numbers seem off if its COA minus scholarships and the rest is debt financed. I have a 15K larger scholarship at Duke and it would cost me about 15K more to attend. OP is off by about 30K there. Is interest factored in to all this?

I don't think they include interest.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: NYU ($) vs. Duke ($$) vs. Columbia

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:32 pm

TripTrip wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:this is an nyu vs cls thread.

NYU beats CLS by a wide margin ITT, and I'm normally a CLS caddie.


Dont you think it comes down to scholarship negotiations? Or do you say that because of OPs preferences?

I would be extremely surprised if both CLS and NYU came back with larger scholarships. :?


Really? With $25K a year from Chicago, NYU won't budge on 15/15/7.5? I mean. Fuck. lol

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2737
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: NYU ($) vs. Duke ($$) vs. Columbia

Postby TripTrip » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:10 am

jbagelboy wrote:Really? With $25K a year from Chicago, NYU won't budge on 15/15/7.5? I mean. Fuck. lol

I don't mean that they for sure won't or that it's not possible, but I think it's unlikely that they will both increase.

heybobo
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:00 pm

Re: NYU ($) vs. Duke ($$) vs. Columbia

Postby heybobo » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:21 pm

I'm bumping this thread because I'm freaking out and hoping someone can give me an answer. It's come quite down to the wire for me. I have to deposit @ NYU by 5pm today. Still no progress from Columbia despite multiple phone calls. NYU bumped up my award during the appeal, and therefore I've narrowed it down to the two, but for obvious reasons I'd prefer knowing all of my options (financial aid included) before making a decision.

NYU's intent to enroll has the "I have withdrawn from all other schools to which I have been admitted" language. My question is: can I deposit at NYU and wait out my finaid decision from CLS? I wouldn't actually multi-deposit unless I choose to go to CLS, but is this really unethical? I feel so bad about it because NYU has been really great throughout the process and CLS has pretty much made me want to shoot myself in the face, but I have that nagging "What if" voice in the back of my head. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

User avatar
Tekrul
Posts: 493
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:17 pm

Re: NYU ($) vs. Duke ($$) vs. Columbia

Postby Tekrul » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:37 pm

The language of NYU's intent to enroll is quite clear. You have been accepted to CLS and must therefore withdraw before you submit the intent to enroll. It is meant only to exclude schools at which you have been wait-listed or have not heard a decision from yet.

So bottom line you are left with the choice:
Do you want NYU at the price you know it

OR

Do you prefer Columbia at sticker with an uncertainty of $

My opinion, take the money at NYU because CLS just sent out their mass reserve list meaning they've taken all the applicants they think they'll need and likely have allocated a large portion of their money, if not all, to that pool already. They are, for most intents and purposes, the same exact school. Between that consideration, the fact that you want PI, and my own hatred for the unknown, I would pick NYU hands down.

Edit: the bolded part was originally the wrong word ><




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests