UConn Law: Any thoughts?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Clearly

Re: UConn Law: Any thoughts?

Postby Clearly » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:10 pm

romothesavior wrote:Oh and for the record, my diagnostic was a 158-159, I got a 161 or 162 (can't remember) on my first LSAT after "some study over the course of a month," and then buckled down for a few months and got a 168 on a retake. And if I'm honest with myself, I should have retaken once more for a 170+

Point is, you can definitely improve on that 159. This is the most important exam of your life and it will set the stage for your entire financial and professional future. Put the time in that it deserves. Go check out the LSAT Forum here on TLS and you'll find a bunch of great resources and guides.

Good luck.

It's true, hard work pays off here. My diagnostic was a 152, my first official was 12 higher then that, my last was 12 higher then the first official. Retaking makes sense, and if you really dedicate yourself to the cause you can have great gains and give yourself a solid shot at great schools.
Edit: typo
Last edited by Clearly on Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:12 pm

You went 152 ---> 178? Damn, that's impressive man.

TheNextAmendment

Postby TheNextAmendment » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:20 pm

Ti Malice wrote:
TheNextAmendment wrote:Yeah I know...Im familiar with lst...I think 80k total coa is pretty much a full tuition scholly..You're telling me someone shouldnt attend the #2 law school in a state for simply COL? Cmon mannn. Not to mention very few Yale students stay in CT. Trust me- been living here 23 years.

If you're familiar with LST, then you'll know that only 104 out of 199 grads from the class of 2012 found full-time long-term jobs that required bar passage. Exactly what kind of gamble do you think one should take for those chances?

one that requires only COL...
I know were getting off topic, but I refuse to believe that turning down a full tuition scholarship at UConn Law is the "rational" decision. Were not talking about Cooley, were talking about a top TT, near T1.
For the record I am not going to UConn, just defending my home state's main school legacy =]

edit- After yale of course- which all residents seem to take for granted and underrate.

TheNextAmendment

Postby TheNextAmendment » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:24 pm

Anyways OP, my best advice is this- don't go unless you have a big scholarship, and if you do go and find that you're struggling after 1L then drop out. I have some friends that did well at UConn Law and found great jobs, as well as some that are unemployed...If you're not top 1/3 you're going to be in trouble IMHO. Good Luck!

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:30 pm

TheNextAmendment wrote:I know were getting off topic, but I refuse to believe that turning down a full tuition scholarship at UConn Law is the "rational" decision.

It's the rational choice if either 1) OP doesn't want to work in Connecticut or the surrounding area, or 2) can do better on his LSAT and go to a better school.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:41 pm

romothesavior wrote:You went 152 ---> 178? Damn, that's impressive man.

Sorry, unfortunate typo. 12 then an additional 12, 176 final

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:07 pm

FWIW OP, my diagnostic score was 157. I studied while working full time and being a full time student. I'm in at NYU and UVA with $$$. It's worth it.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”