UTK (full ride); would like to practice in TN

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
decidingonls

UTK (full ride); would like to practice in TN

Postby decidingonls » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:46 am

I currently have a full-ride at UTK. I've visited the school and have friends there (and know about 20% of the incoming class because of various statewide extracurriculars during undergrad). I like most aspects of the school and it seems to be a solid fit for me. I went to undergrad and have other significant ties in TN and would like to eventually practice in Nashville at a firm like Waller or Ogletree Deakins (regardless of where I go to school), though I'm not opposed to Chattanooga or Knoxville. I realize it's not a job offer guarantee or anything of that sort, but my mentors (two of which are hiring/name partners at Nashville firms) work in the Nashville market and have been encouraging about UT, mostly because of the lack of debt, even some who are are Vandy grads. They keep stressing this because many Nashville firms are doing away/have done away with SA programs. Because of my SO/family COL won't require loans, so UTK would be truly free (except maybe books?). I realize I'd have to do extremely well (I suppose this is true at every school to an extent) to place well; I'm not banking on anything as far as grades go, but I do know my quality of life/concentration will be eased by knowing I don't owe anything (I'm super debt-averse) and also having family close by.

The only downside is I've yet to hear from Vanderbilt, but when I do, if at all positive, I would have to borrow money to attend (though COL would still be covered w/o loans) simply because the school is just expensive. I applied for their full-ride merit schollys, but obviously didn't hear back.

I've seen the LST numbers and pretty much every other "inform yourself" data most TLS posters offer when deciding about schools, but wonder if it'd be worth pursuing the Vandy route? I have solid numbers and have received other offers at "fancier/nicer" schools with $$ (though no high T-14s). Would it be worth pursuing those, even if I want to practice in TN? My SO has significant school debt (thankfully I had a full-ride in UG) and that's already a HUGE consideration for me.

I'd appreciate any thoughts/comments, etc. I realize the post sounds like I'm sold on UTK, but it was more or less an attempt to highlight my ties to the region/school/future goals. Thanks!

twenty

Re: UTK (full ride); would like to practice in TN

Postby twenty » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:54 am

If UTK has no scholarship stipulations, I'd go for it. Vandy isn't worth it for anything less than a 100k scholarship.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:56 am

decidingonls wrote:I currently have a full-ride at UTK. I've visited the school and have friends there (and know about 20% of the incoming class because of various statewide extracurriculars during undergrad). I like most aspects of the school and it seems to be a solid fit for me. I went to undergrad and have other significant ties in TN and would like to eventually practice in Nashville at a firm like Waller or Ogletree Deakins (regardless of where I go to school), though I'm not opposed to Chattanooga or Knoxville. I realize it's not a job offer guarantee or anything of that sort, but my mentors (two of which are hiring/name partners at Nashville firms) work in the Nashville market and have been encouraging about UT, mostly because of the lack of debt, even some who are are Vandy grads. They keep stressing this because many Nashville firms are doing away/have done away with SA programs. Because of my SO/family COL won't require loans, so UTK would be truly free (except maybe books?). I realize I'd have to do extremely well (I suppose this is true at every school to an extent) to place well; I'm not banking on anything as far as grades go, but I do know my quality of life/concentration will be eased by knowing I don't owe anything (I'm super debt-averse) and also having family close by.

The only downside is I've yet to hear from Vanderbilt, but when I do, if at all positive, I would have to borrow money to attend (though COL would still be covered w/o loans) simply because the school is just expensive. I applied for their full-ride merit schollys, but obviously didn't hear back.

I've seen the LST numbers and pretty much every other "inform yourself" data most TLS posters offer when deciding about schools, but wonder if it'd be worth pursuing the Vandy route? I have solid numbers and have received other offers at "fancier/nicer" schools with $$ (though no high T-14s). Would it be worth pursuing those, even if I want to practice in TN? My SO has significant school debt (thankfully I had a full-ride in UG) and that's already a HUGE consideration for me.

I'd appreciate any thoughts/comments, etc. I realize the post sounds like I'm sold on UTK, but it was more or less an attempt to highlight my ties to the region/school/future goals. Thanks!

UTK is a good, safe option. Vandy will help tremendously for big firms, but if your in the top 20% at UTK and you hustle, I bet you can land something.

decidingonls

Postby decidingonls » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:00 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:If UTK has no scholarship stipulations, I'd go for it. Vandy isn't worth it for anything less than a 100k scholarship.

No stips!

decidingonls

Postby decidingonls » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:03 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:
decidingonls wrote:I currently have a full-ride at UTK. I've visited the school and have friends there (and know about 20% of the incoming class because of various statewide extracurriculars during undergrad). I like most aspects of the school and it seems to be a solid fit for me. I went to undergrad and have other significant ties in TN and would like to eventually practice in Nashville at a firm like Waller or Ogletree Deakins (regardless of where I go to school), though I'm not opposed to Chattanooga or Knoxville. I realize it's not a job offer guarantee or anything of that sort, but my mentors (two of which are hiring/name partners at Nashville firms) work in the Nashville market and have been encouraging about UT, mostly because of the lack of debt, even some who are are Vandy grads. They keep stressing this because many Nashville firms are doing away/have done away with SA programs. Because of my SO/family COL won't require loans, so UTK would be truly free (except maybe books?). I realize I'd have to do extremely well (I suppose this is true at every school to an extent) to place well; I'm not banking on anything as far as grades go, but I do know my quality of life/concentration will be eased by knowing I don't owe anything (I'm super debt-averse) and also having family close by.

UTK is a good, safe option. Vandy will help tremendously for big firms, but if your in the top 20% at UTK and you hustle, I bet you can land something.

Thanks, this echoes pretty much everything I've heard thus far.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:17 pm

Ditch the girlfriend/her debt, go to UTK and, if you don't do well enough after 2L year to land comfortable legal employment, then drop out.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:27 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

decidingonls

Postby decidingonls » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:31 pm

patrickd139 wrote:Ditch the girlfriend/her debt, go to UTK and, if you don't do well enough after 2L year to land comfortable legal employment, then drop out.

It's a he and we are married. Haha. So that's not really an option, minus the latter.

decidingonls

Postby decidingonls » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:34 pm

rad lulz wrote:Waller and Ogletree Deakins? If you're gonna pick 2 firms, those are weird ones.

Just so you know, Nashville hiring is horrifically competitive. Top 20% at UTK and "hustle," whatever the hell that means, is by no means even close to a sure thing at Nashville firms.

I'm interested in employment (compliance, etc.) and know attorneys at both firms working in employment law.

What's the best way to improve my chances in the Nashville market? Vandy, even with debt? Not dishing out sass, honestly curious. Thanks!

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:42 pm

decidingonls wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Waller and Ogletree Deakins? If you're gonna pick 2 firms, those are weird ones.

Just so you know, Nashville hiring is horrifically competitive. Top 20% at UTK and "hustle," whatever the hell that means, is by no means even close to a sure thing at Nashville firms.

I'm interested in employment (compliance, etc.) and know attorneys at both firms working in employment law.

What's the best way to improve my chances in the Nashville market? Vandy, even with debt? Not dishing out sass, honestly curious. Thanks!

Ah okay, the employment law connection makes sense. First thing that jumps to mind when I think Waller is healthcare.

Vandy will give you a better shot in that your grades won't have to be as high, but they will still need to be pretty damn good. The Nashville firms aren't exactly falling all over themselves to hire medianbros. Also those positions are highly sought after by people from Vanderbilt too.

If you really want to improve your shot, try getting some pre-LS work experience with HR in a healthcare org or something.

Taking out debt to go to Vanderbilt isn't a bad idea. Depends on how much debt.
Last edited by rad lulz on Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twenty

Postby twenty » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:43 pm

decidingonls wrote:What's the best way to improve my chances in the Nashville market? Vandy, even with debt? Not dishing out sass, honestly curious. Thanks!

There's no question Vandy would increase your chances in Nashville, or frankly anywhere in the south. You just have to figure out how much debt you're okay with taking on to increase that chance.

Will you kill yourself if you graduate from UT with no debt and no job? Probably not. Will you kill yourself if you graduate from Vandy with no job and 250k debt? Hmmm.

decidingonls

Postby decidingonls » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:57 pm

rad lulz wrote:
decidingonls wrote:

Ah okay, the employment law connection makes sense. First thing that jumps to mind when I think Waller is healthcare.

Vandy will give you a better shot in that your grades won't have to be as high, but they will still need to be pretty damn good. The Nashville firms aren't exactly falling all over themselves to hire medianbros. Also those positions are highly sought after by people from Vanderbilt too.

If you really want to improve your shot, try getting some pre-LS work experience with HR in a healthcare org or something.

Taking out debt to go to Vanderbilt isn't a bad idea. Depends on how much debt.

That makes sense, thanks.

How much Vandy debt makes sense if I wanted to work in Nashville? I don't know much about Nashville salaries. Where is the best place to find this info?

decidingonls

Postby decidingonls » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:05 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:
decidingonls wrote:What's the best way to improve my chances in the Nashville market? Vandy, even with debt? Not dishing out sass, honestly curious. Thanks!

There's no question Vandy would increase your chances in Nashville, or frankly anywhere in the south. You just have to figure out how much debt you're okay with taking on to increase that chance.

Will you kill yourself if you graduate from UT with no debt and no job? Probably not. Will you kill yourself if you graduate from Vandy with no job and 250k debt? Hmmm.

My SO has 80k in debt, which he is paying off with his salary (not the best field to service this debt but he is in some LRAP type programs), he considers it his and doesn't want it to influence my decision, but it's still there and if something happened to him that would be my debt (at least I believe so?).

I'm not sure how much more on top of this I'd feel comfortable taking out. Thus, as I consider COA of schools, I just tack on 80k to the price tag. Granted with both of our salaries (non-lawyer salaries), we are able to service it, though it's a huge chunk of our bills. I'm assuming Vandy in the worst possible scenario would be tuition cost/books x 3 (COL would be covered by SO).

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:08 pm

Nalpdirectory.com

Bigger firms are at $110 now I think? Ogletree is almost assuredly not that high.

Debt? Depends how committed you are to TN and Nashville specifically. But certainly nowhere near sticker.

twenty

Postby twenty » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:14 pm

I don't think you can really afford to go to Vandy at anywhere close to sticker. Since it sounds like he's struggling (but managing) to pay off 80k of student loans, I'd urge you not to take out more than 80k-100k in loans to go anywhere. If you can get Vandy with a scholarship of 100k or so, great, but otherwise I think UT is still the best choice here.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:25 pm

decidingonls wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:Ditch the girlfriend/her debt, go to UTK and, if you don't do well enough after 2L year to land comfortable legal employment, then drop out.

It's a he and we are married. Haha. So that's not really an option, minus the latter.

Haha. Fair enough. You might consider dropping out and not wasting time/cost of living if you're not high enough in the class for real, though. I'll let others with specific knowledge of the Tennessee legal market comment on what that might be.

decidingonls

Postby decidingonls » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:37 pm

Thanks! I really appreciate all of the advice. I'll most likely make plans for UTK and if Vandy happens with enough $$, I may consider that route. :D

jalsup11

Postby jalsup11 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:51 pm

Similar scenario here. Full ride to Memphis/Belmont, solid offer from UTK, and no answer from Vandy. I sent you a pm as well.

jeeptiger09

Postby jeeptiger09 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:03 am

This. At the biggest firms (Waller, BABC, Baker, Bass) in Nashville, UTK has about 8-10 grads every year. Nashville is ultra-competitive; I imagine Vandy is doing better than UTK, but not appreciably better. It's hard to put a number on the amount of debt worth making Vanderbilt an option though. If you're set on TN and willing to fallback on Chattanooga/Memphis/Knoxville, UT is the right choice. If you'd rather be in the south but not in TN (assuming Nashville doesn't work out), Vandy is definitely the correct pick.

jalsup11 wrote:Similar scenario here. Full ride to Memphis/Belmont, solid offer from UTK, and no answer from Vandy. I sent you a pm as well.
jalsup11 wrote:Similar scenario here. Full ride to Memphis/Belmont, solid offer from UTK, and no answer from Vandy. I sent you a pm as well.

Memphis at full ride is not worth it unless you are 100% okay with staying only in Shelby County or maybe Jackson/Southaven. Memphis kids have basically no shot at Nashville.

Belmont is not even worth considering in this conversation.

TennesseeLaw

Postby TennesseeLaw » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:28 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by TennesseeLaw on Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:23 pm

What a romantic

jselson

Postby jselson » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:27 am

jbagelboy wrote:

What a romantic

Divorce is TCR. Retake.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:13 am

jbagelboy wrote:

What a romantic
That would be the joke.

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:53 pm

rad lulz wrote:Nalpdirectory.com

Bigger firms are at $110 now I think? Ogletree is almost assuredly not that high.

Debt? Depends how committed you are to TN and Nashville specifically. But certainly nowhere near sticker.

Does Ogletree typically pay below market? I'm curious to hear about their reputation. Please share if you have any insight

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:04 am

mr.hands wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Nalpdirectory.com

Does Ogletree typically pay below market? I'm curious to hear about their reputation. Please share if you have any insight

They are below market in PA, so maybe it is a firm wide thing.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”