Duke ($) vs. NYU

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Duke vs. NYU

NYU
39%
Duke
61%

Total votes: 38

shouldershoulders

Duke ($) vs. NYU

Postby shouldershoulders » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:15 am

I'm sure a lot of situations similar to this have been discussed, but here's what I'm looking at:

Duke (67.5k total scholarship)
NYU (sticker)

I'll be paying with loans, but my parents will be covering my living expenses, so I'm only paying for tuition. I'd like to go big law, either NY or northern CA (currently live in California). I'd definitely prefer to spend the next three years in NY over NC, but (of course) that's not a dealbreaker or anything, though if going to Duke would confine me at all to job opportunities in the south I'd be very hesitant about going there. I also got 90k at UCLA, Vanderbilt, etc., though I'm assuming those are all out of consideration.

shouldershoulders

Re: Duke ($) vs. NYU

Postby shouldershoulders » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:39 am

Some additional info: I've taken the LSAT once, got a 171, 3.6 GPA. Still in undergrad. Applied about a week before the deadline for most schools. I suppose waiting a year is a possibility, but I'm graduating with a useless enough major that I'd worry about finding an impressive way to spend the year until next admission cycle.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:39 am

What's your cost of attendance when factoring in your parental contribution?

Also, have you tried to negotiate with NYU using your Duke scholarship?

shouldershoulders

Postby shouldershoulders » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:33 am

Doorkeeper wrote:What's your cost of attendance when factoring in your parental contribution?

I'm in the process of appealing the NYU financial aid reward, but I'm worried they won't give me a response before my Duke deposit is due (4/26). CoA should be ~200k at NYU and ~120k at Duke.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:39 am

I would take Duke. $80k is a significant difference. You could pay Duke down with ~2.5 yrs of BL, but NYU would likely require ~4+.

Sure, NYU has stronger placement power into NYC than Duke, but I don't think that placement power difference is equal to $80k.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:54 am

Law schools make so much money off humanities majors who are fearful of their job prospects jumping straight into LS without thinking it through. It sounds like you are in the position of many college seniors, and you want to attend law school because you're smart and don't want to appear to be slacking so its a default. This was okay when the debt was manageable and well paying jobs were plentiful.

It's okay we've been there -- you can do better. even if you don't retake the LSAT, get straight A's this semester, take whatever somewhat resume building job you can find, reapply with 171+/3.65 in early fall and profit. That's my first advice, but only because of your position.

That being said, these are both great schools. if you are definitely going next year & your parents are covering living expenses, both are feasible. I'd probably visit and see where you could see yourself. Duke is safer.

framboozer

Postby framboozer » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:08 pm

Try to get more money out of Duke. If you got into NYU the Duke scholly seems a bit low.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:12 pm

framboozer wrote:Try to get more money out of Duke. If you got into NYU the Duke scholly seems a bit low.

+1. Even if you can't squeeze more $ out of them, though, I'd still go with Duke.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:24 pm

Eh... I mean, if he's only paying tuition and he REALLY wants NY Biglaw, I think an argument can be made for NYU. 80k is a lot of money, but no CoL makes this kind of a coin-flip, imo. You have a better shot of getting Biglaw from NYU, but you'll have much less debt from Duke.

dissonance1848

Postby dissonance1848 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:32 pm

Duke definitely wins here over NYU, since OP is after biglaw, period.

That said, I wonder if a retake and reapply is in order.

The reason being that people with 3.6 have been getting Harvard with a 175+ on LSN, and if OP retakes, they can get more money.

I think getting Chicago or Columbia with a 50-70k scholly is worth a retake.

shouldershoulders

Postby shouldershoulders » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:09 pm

dissonance1848 wrote:Duke definitely wins here over NYU, since OP is after biglaw, period.

That said, I wonder if a retake and reapply is in order.

The reason being that people with 3.6 have been getting Harvard with a 175+ on LSN, and if OP retakes, they can get more money.

I think getting Chicago or Columbia with a 50-70k scholly is worth a retake.

Yeah, the retake is definitely something I'm considering at this point. I'm fairly certain I could grab a few points on the LSAT (and, as stated, I applied very late in the cycle), but at the same time my GPA will almost certainly be a bit lower than at the time of my application and there's a possibility I won't have very impressive employment over the next year. Will the positives outweigh the negatives?

Another important point here is the extent to which I prefer NY (or, after graduation, San Francisco) to the south. I'd definitely be fine sticking it out in Durham for a few years, but if there's literally any chance at all that I'd have to work somewhere down south after graduation, that'd be a dealbreaker. Even doing summer associateships somewhere like Atlanta or Charlotte is something I'd prefer to avoid. I know this shouldn't be too large a priority, but it's definitely something I feel.

Anyway, thanks so much for all the help, everybody. I've been lurking LSN heavily for a few days and it's definitely done a lot to change my outlook on the law application process; y'all are invaluable.

framboozer

Postby framboozer » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:15 pm

Duke 100% does not lock you into the south and if you're not from the south you will not end up there. In fact it places more into the Northeast than anywhere else:

http://law.duke.edu/career/employmentdata/

Scroll down and check out geographic destination.

oldschool123

Postby oldschool123 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:19 pm

framboozer wrote:Try to get more money out of Duke. If you got into NYU the Duke scholly seems a bit low.

Although this may sound like sound logic, I got into NYU and not only did I not receive any $ from Duke, I didn't even get accepted (placed on WL and then withdrew). So again, in theory getting into NYU should mean $$ from Duke, but reality doesn't always match up.

framboozer

Postby framboozer » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:59 pm

oldschool123 wrote:

Although this may sound like sound logic, I got into NYU and not only did I not receive any $ from Duke, I didn't even get accepted (placed on WL and then withdrew). So again, in theory getting into NU should mean $$ from Duke, but reality doesn't always match up.

Did you indicate Why Duke specifically in your app? I know they do waitlist when they think an otherwise good applicant is unlikely to attend. I would expect that a LOCi would get you in with $$ off the waitlist. That being said I feel like NYU is more accepting of lower GPAs than Duke, given the right LSAT of course.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:26 pm

shouldershoulders wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:What's your cost of attendance when factoring in your parental contribution?

I'm in the process of appealing the NYU financial aid reward, but I'm worried they won't give me a response before my Duke deposit is due (4/26). CoA should be ~200k at NYU and ~120k at Duke.

NYU is pretty responsive about negotiations. Give them a call a few days before your deposit is due just to spur them along.

I think Duke wins on an $80k difference, but if you can get $30-40k then I would go NYU for the added NYC biglaw opportunities.

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:49 pm

The people voting for NYU must want your Duke scholly $$$, cause this seems pretty easy. NYU isn't worth sticker period, and it certainly isn't worth $80k more than Duke for basically identical Biglaw prospects. Duke will get you back to NYC almost as easily as NYU will, and you definitely won't be stuck in the South (on the contrary; without ties, it's a tough region to break into).

Return to “Choosing a Law School”