Deleted Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
kdb

New

Deleted

Post by kdb » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:48 pm

Thanks!
Last edited by kdb on Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

empyreanrrv

Bronze

Re: W&M vs. BU vs. Minn vs. Temple

Post by empyreanrrv » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:37 pm

Go to Minnesota-- it is the cheapest school with decent employment stats. Don't plan on having it bring you back to Philly though, and don't plan on getting mid-law out of school because consensus is that it is nearly impossible. If you are interested in a large firm, none of the above is a good option. BU has the best biglaw, but is too expensive at that price.

kdb

New

Post by kdb » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:31 am

empyreanrrv wrote:Go to Minnesota-- it is the cheapest school with decent employment stats. Don't plan on having it bring you back to Philly though, and don't plan on getting mid-law out of school because consensus is that it is nearly impossible. If you are interested in a large firm, none of the above is a good option. BU has the best biglaw, but is too expensive at that price.
Thanks for your advice. That is one of my main concerns about Minnesota - it's a great school, but I worry about returning to Philly. I do have a growing network in Philly, which could potentially help in my job search. If I was mostly concerned about returning to Philadelphia after graduation, do you think W&M or BU would be better? (Temple might be best, but just curious between these two)

dissonance1848

Silver

Post by dissonance1848 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:04 am

If you want Philly/Mid Atlantic, then you need Temple/Villanova/Penn....

That COA for Temple is way too high.... retake and reapply.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:12 am

If you really desire Philly, Retake is your best option. It would be unfortunate to pay that much for Temple when you have better offers.

If you are ok with living in the other feeder markets, UMN is your best bet considering COA + prospects.

Im unsure how the proximity of the T30s to your home market will affect the views of employers in Philly.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:35 am

Minn is the only school with an acceptable COA. I'd retake. If you won't, go to minn, but it's a distant second.

kdb

New

Post by kdb » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:02 pm

dissonance1848 wrote:If you want Philly/Mid Atlantic, then you need Temple/Villanova/Penn....

That COA for Temple is way too high.... retake and reapply.

Thanks for the advice, but definitely not in a position to retake and reapply. Starting law school this upcoming fall, no matter what. The COA for Temple is what it projects my living expenses will be (but I'm good at living frugally). I calculated each 3 year COA off of what each school offered me through scholarships and loans. Because of a scholarship, Temple's tuition & fees would only be about 5-6K per year.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:27 pm

Why are you not in a position to retake? Its the best option by far. Minnesota is second but you will have an uphill battle to return to Philly. For <50k its a great deal, but I would rather do Temple with a full ride or Penn.

kdb

New

Post by kdb » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:02 pm

romothesavior wrote:Why are you not in a position to retake? Its the best option by far. Minnesota is second but you will have an uphill battle to return to Philly. For <50k its a great deal, but I would rather do Temple with a full ride or Penn.
I agree that it's not the best scenario for returning to Philly, but I'm at a place in my life where I'm lacking employment opportunities and literally can't afford to put off law school for any longer and reapply. I'm also stir crazy - already put law school on the table for a couple of years, and I strongly prefer to not put it off any further. Maybe not the most strategic decision, but I don't want to spend any more of my life waiting for this. I didn't have the greatest cycle, but I'm happy with my application and all of my options. They're just all over the place. (Also accepted to Cornell, but unless I recieve more merit aid I won't be able to stomach the huge debt - especially since I'm not totally committed to biglaw.)

While I eventually see myself settling down in the greater Phila area, I wouldn't mind working in the midwest for a few years, building my resume and contacts, before returning to the east coast. I also have a small but growing professional/legal network in Philly.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:04 pm

If you definitely won't retake, then UMN, but be open to ending up somewhere other than Philly. I'm sure Minny can get you back there, but it'll take more legwork and will be harder.

bass08

Bronze

Post by bass08 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:20 pm

I don't think the total COA are that high considering you have to factor in Cost of Living. Even on a full ride anywhere you're looking at minimum ~$20k a year in cost of living. I think many of the people responding to this thread are forgetting that.

If you really, only want Philly, I guess Temple. You have almost a full scholarship? If you're open to different markets I would probably do BU because it has the best placement of all the schools...but still is in a very saturated market, so it's risky.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:48 pm

Good point... is COL included?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:51 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kdb

New

Post by kdb » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:04 pm

romothesavior wrote:Good point... is COL included?
Yes - all these figures include tuition, fees, transportation and living costs for all three years. Sorry for not being clearer. And they are rounded up - I'm not going to lower my standard of living to natty ice and ramen noodles, but I can definitely live below the living costs estimated.

kdb

New

Post by kdb » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:09 pm

rad lulz wrote:Can't afford to not go to law school?

As in you'd starve and be homeless w out law skool?

Ok brah
This is silly. Can't afford not to go to law school, as in if I postponed, I would be faced with a year of rent, living, law school application costs (again), etc. before another three years of law school expenses. I don't have enough savings or viable income to do that, and I also don't want to. I want to get out of the field I'm in now and, like I said, I'm ready for law school and happy about my options. Just not sure which one to choose. But thanks for your input, broseph.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:09 pm

kdb wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Why are you not in a position to retake? Its the best option by far. Minnesota is second but you will have an uphill battle to return to Philly. For <50k its a great deal, but I would rather do Temple with a full ride or Penn.
I agree that it's not the best scenario for returning to Philly, but I'm at a place in my life where I'm lacking employment opportunities and literally can't afford to put off law school for any longer and reapply. I'm also stir crazy - already put law school on the table for a couple of years, and I strongly prefer to not put it off any further. Maybe not the most strategic decision, but I don't want to spend any more of my life waiting for this. I didn't have the greatest cycle, but I'm happy with my application and all of my options. They're just all over the place. (Also accepted to Cornell, but unless I recieve more merit aid I won't be able to stomach the huge debt - especially since I'm not totally committed to biglaw.)

While I eventually see myself settling down in the greater Phila area, I wouldn't mind working in the midwest for a few years, building my resume and contacts, before returning to the east coast. I also have a small but growing professional/legal network in Philly.
Did you get any money at Cornell?

kdb

New

Post by kdb » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:13 pm

ImNoScar wrote:
kdb wrote:

Did you get any money at Cornell?
Nothing that would even put a dent in my debt. Though I am in the process of negotiating, and also might be receiving a (small) outside scholarship to use at any school. Cornell would be my obvious first choice, but it'll depend on what additional funds come in.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TheNextAmendment

Bronze

Post by TheNextAmendment » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:48 am

kdb wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Good point... is COL included?
Yes - all these figures include tuition, fees, transportation and living costs for all three years. Sorry for not being clearer. And they are rounded up - I'm not going to lower my standard of living to natty ice and ramen noodles, but I can definitely live below the living costs estimated.
Oh, I just assumed they didn't include COL since most people put "COA" and yet don't include COL...Anyways, you're choices aren't that bad. 116k TOTAL COA for BU is pretty good IMO. You say you want to work in philly though, so I voted Temple, although it's definitely a tough decision. If it was me I'd go BU to keep my options open. It's a more versatile degree IMO.

edit- mixed up the UMN and Temple COA numbers. This is easy...I'd go UMN. I would never pay more to go to Temple...

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:58 am

Retake is definitely the best option here. That said, I actually don't think 80k TOTAL COA for Temple is that awful. It's on the expensive side, but Temple does well in Philly, and is the only school on this list that has a reasonable shot at placing there. Plan to drop out if you end up below median though. Otherwise, UMN is the best deal here overall as long as OP is cool with the fairly high likelihood that he will be stuck in Minnesota for the foreseeable future.

NanaP

Bronze

Post by NanaP » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:07 am

Temple gets my vote, unless Cornell comes with some $$$.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:28 am

Have you exhausted negotiations yet? If Temple matches Minn, go to Temple. If not, think hard about retaking. 80K is on the high end.

You said you are in a field. What does that mean? Are you unemployed and just don't want to find a job?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”