stay at work and reapply higher

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
Anon2008
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:50 pm

stay at work and reapply higher

Postby Anon2008 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:51 pm

No longer considering crazy things. Now: stay at a boring job that pays bills for another year, retake in oct, but apply when apps open using my 165. Thoughts?


formerly: Bad, or really bad? Do any schools in the T14 let you do something like that? If they found out, would they 100% rescind admission? I know it would be a shitty thing to do, but someone is gonna have $180k+ of my non-dischargeable debt, so I'm just trying to get mine.
Last edited by Anon2008 on Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WahooLaw24
Posts: 256
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:35 pm

Re: Deferring admission and reapplying higher

Postby WahooLaw24 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:05 pm

Anon2008 wrote:Bad, or really bad? Do any schools in the T14 let you do something like that? If they found out, would they 100% rescind admission? I know it would be a shitty thing to do, but someone is gonna have $180k+ of my non-dischargeable debt, so I'm just trying to get mine.


Criminally stupid. You'll more than likely wind up getting your admission rescinded by both schools.

User avatar
UtilityMonster
Posts: 315
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:16 pm

Re: Deferring admission and reapplying higher

Postby UtilityMonster » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:12 pm

WahooLaw24 wrote:
Anon2008 wrote:Bad, or really bad? Do any schools in the T14 let you do something like that? If they found out, would they 100% rescind admission? I know it would be a shitty thing to do, but someone is gonna have $180k+ of my non-dischargeable debt, so I'm just trying to get mine.


Criminally stupid. You'll more than likely wind up getting your admission rescinded by both schools.


It isn't criminally stupid, stfu.

OP, because deferrals are often binding, you should accept and not defer, retake June (assuming this is why you want to reapply, because you think you can score higher) and back out if you score higher. If you simply must defer, some schools like Cornell don't make you sign anything that says "I will attend Cornell." Other schools do make you sign such a sheet. However, I know for a fact that if you back out of a deferral before it interferes with their application cycle (preferably before apps even open up), they'll let you off. I wouldn't recommend trying that unless you must, but I understand scenarios where this is a reasonable course of action.

User avatar
megagnarley
Posts: 497
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:58 am

Re: Deferring admission and reapplying higher

Postby megagnarley » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:42 pm

UtilityMonster wrote:
WahooLaw24 wrote:
Anon2008 wrote:Bad, or really bad? Do any schools in the T14 let you do something like that? If they found out, would they 100% rescind admission? I know it would be a shitty thing to do, but someone is gonna have $180k+ of my non-dischargeable debt, so I'm just trying to get mine.


Criminally stupid. You'll more than likely wind up getting your admission rescinded by both schools.


It isn't criminally stupid, stfu.

OP, because deferrals are often binding, you should accept and not defer, retake June (assuming this is why you want to reapply, because you think you can score higher) and back out if you score higher. If you simply must defer, some schools like Cornell don't make you sign anything that says "I will attend Cornell." Other schools do make you sign such a sheet. However, I know for a fact that if you back out of a deferral before it interferes with their application cycle (preferably before apps even open up), they'll let you off. I wouldn't recommend trying that unless you must, but I understand scenarios where this is a reasonable course of action.


In regards to this idea, is it 100% certain that a school won't rescind it's offer if it finds out you retook the LSAT after depositing? This seems to be consensus but I'm wondering if anyone knows this to be true beyond just hearsay.

User avatar
UtilityMonster
Posts: 315
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:16 pm

Re: Deferring admission and reapplying higher

Postby UtilityMonster » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:53 pm

megagnarley wrote:
UtilityMonster wrote:
WahooLaw24 wrote:
Anon2008 wrote:Bad, or really bad? Do any schools in the T14 let you do something like that? If they found out, would they 100% rescind admission? I know it would be a shitty thing to do, but someone is gonna have $180k+ of my non-dischargeable debt, so I'm just trying to get mine.


Criminally stupid. You'll more than likely wind up getting your admission rescinded by both schools.


It isn't criminally stupid, stfu.

OP, because deferrals are often binding, you should accept and not defer, retake June (assuming this is why you want to reapply, because you think you can score higher) and back out if you score higher. If you simply must defer, some schools like Cornell don't make you sign anything that says "I will attend Cornell." Other schools do make you sign such a sheet. However, I know for a fact that if you back out of a deferral before it interferes with their application cycle (preferably before apps even open up), they'll let you off. I wouldn't recommend trying that unless you must, but I understand scenarios where this is a reasonable course of action.


In regards to this idea, is it 100% certain that a school won't rescind it's offer if it finds out you retook the LSAT after depositing? This seems to be consensus but I'm wondering if anyone knows this to be true beyond just hearsay.


Obviously it isn't 100%. Most people's scores will go up, and if they choose to still attend (say a 1-2 point increase) the school benefits. If the score goes down they still attend and why would the school care? They won't just throw away a qualified applicant that wants to go. If it goes up enough then it is no longer an issue and the candidate withdraws.

User avatar
Anon2008
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:50 pm

Re: Deferring admission and reapplying higher

Postby Anon2008 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:17 pm

This was just a hail mary, crazy "if this, what?". The main thing I'm considering is staying at my job another year and retaking in october. I'd send in apps when they open using my original 165 and just note that I'm taking the Oct LSAT. Thoughts?

User avatar
megagnarley
Posts: 497
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:58 am

Re: Deferring admission and reapplying higher

Postby megagnarley » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:06 am

UtilityMonster wrote:
megagnarley wrote:
UtilityMonster wrote:
WahooLaw24 wrote:Criminally stupid. You'll more than likely wind up getting your admission rescinded by both schools.


It isn't criminally stupid, stfu.

OP, because deferrals are often binding, you should accept and not defer, retake June (assuming this is why you want to reapply, because you think you can score higher) and back out if you score higher. If you simply must defer, some schools like Cornell don't make you sign anything that says "I will attend Cornell." Other schools do make you sign such a sheet. However, I know for a fact that if you back out of a deferral before it interferes with their application cycle (preferably before apps even open up), they'll let you off. I wouldn't recommend trying that unless you must, but I understand scenarios where this is a reasonable course of action.


In regards to this idea, is it 100% certain that a school won't rescind it's offer if it finds out you retook the LSAT after depositing? This seems to be consensus but I'm wondering if anyone knows this to be true beyond just hearsay.


Obviously it isn't 100%. Most people's scores will go up, and if they choose to still attend (say a 1-2 point increase) the school benefits. If the score goes down they still attend and why would the school care? They won't just throw away a qualified applicant that wants to go. If it goes up enough then it is no longer an issue and the candidate withdraws.


Sources?




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: almondjoy and 3 guests