twinkletoes16 wrote:B came through with 75k. So now between here and Northwestern.
Thoughts? I'm really, really torn. NU opens up Chicago possibly, is cheaper for me, doesn't have UC issues like B does. B gives me best shot at CA, has a better grading system/no graded legal writing, and much better weather/QoL.
I thought this would be a lot easier of a decision but now I don't know.
I'm assuming you mean 25k/year, right? Otherwise, I don't see if this is even an issue.
In favor of Boalt:
1. You want to be here.
2. You can get another 6k in fellowships for your 1L summer if you do PI stuff (and you will).
3. The grading system is absolutely amazing.
In favor of NU:
2. Weather is not THAT bad.
Real factors however:
1. What's your comparative total COA?
2. As much as a I hate the government of Cali, and the UC system, I think that Boalt will for the most part be unaffected. We have hardly any taxpayer support, they are really ramping up alumni giving, and we have too many allies in Sac to let the state dillute our name in order to raise the value of the other UC schools (as is happening with UC-B undergrad.)
3. That being said, expect tuition to probably raise at least one more time while you are here (though they have staved off raises two years in a row by dipping into our inadequate endowment*)
*Story of my life.