Cornell $$$ vs USC/LA $$$ vs NU $$$ vs Berkeley

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where to go?

Cornell
22%
Northwestern
33%
Berkeley- who cares about debt?!
26%
UCLA
16%
USC
4%

Total votes: 160

sinfiery

Re: Cornell $$$ vs USC/LA $$$ vs NU $$$ vs Berkeley

Postby sinfiery » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:33 pm

might be worth reading
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=206358&start=175#p6672679

Doing what makes you happy is far from a silly decision. But Berkeley is just really, really expensive. I vote UCLA.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:12 pm

BigZuck wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Went ahead and voted Berkeley because I think that's what will be chosen and I love being right.

Eta: :P

Pretty sure if Berk threw down $10k/yr, twinkle would go there. I bet they will do even more than that, but it will be after the deposit deadline. :?

I don't know man. Her gpa is quite low for them (and they whore that stuff big time), she's non-URM, and, most importantly, Berk's gonna Berk. No shortage of kids lining up to pay sticker there and considering she is a splitter (for them) I'm not super optimistic about her chances of squeezing any decent money out of them. If she withdrew they could probably find a 3.8/167 off the waitlist who's best option right now is Cornell and who would have no problem paying sticker in sunny CA over sticker or slight discount at gloomy ass Ithaca.

I think she has a better chance at money for soft reasons, not numbers. We'll find out soon though.

Right now I'm sticking with my UCLA vote. I'd also keep Cornell if it was necessary for negotiations, even though triple depositing sucks.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:15 pm

For everyone referring to multiple deposits, keep in mind Cal has no monetary deposit, and you dont even have to provide concrete notification until June 1. So theres no loss there.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:59 pm

jbagelboy wrote:For everyone referring to multiple deposits, keep in mind Cal has no monetary deposit, and you dont even have to provide concrete notification until June 1. So theres no loss there.

Yeah, but if the school she wants to go to (e.g. NU) is not the best scholarship to negotiate with (e.g. a scholly not in that poll), she'll still end up at least double depositing.

twinkletoes16

Postby twinkletoes16 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:18 pm

doo de dooooooo
Last edited by twinkletoes16 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:19 pm

Cornell.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:33 pm

Cornell. Maybe NU if you really love Chicago and really hate Ithaca.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:53 pm

Northwestern, with Boalt seat held in the bag so you can watch your match come through on May 1st.

P.S. how did you get them to extend this far? I had to drop mine ;/

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:57 pm

I feel like people don't read.

NU seems to be the best best option.

twinkletoes16

Postby twinkletoes16 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:57 pm

Semi-related, can anyone explain the double-depositing situation? Do I have until May 15 to make a decision entirely then? Searched the forum but not a lot of great info that I found.

untar614

Postby untar614 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:00 pm

rebexness wrote:I feel like people don't read.

This. I think a lot of ppl are just looking at the names and numbers and not considering her goals and situation at all. If she were cool with NYC biglaw then they'd be right, but she's not, and apparently doesn't do well living in a place like Ithaca.

twinkletoes16 wrote:Semi-related, can anyone explain the double-depositing situation? Do I have until May 15 to make a decision entirely then? Searched the forum but not a lot of great info that I found.

What's May 15th? A lot of schools have deposit deadlines on may 1st, though I know with a scholarship you would have already had to deposit at Northwestern.

twinkletoes16

Postby twinkletoes16 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:07 pm

untar614 wrote:

This. I think a lot of ppl are just looking at the names and numbers and not considering her goals and situation at all. If she were cool with NYC biglaw then they'd be right, but she's not, and apparently doesn't do well living in a place like Ithaca.

twinkletoes16 wrote:Semi-related, can anyone explain the double-depositing situation? Do I have until May 15 to make a decision entirely then? Searched the forum but not a lot of great info that I found.

What's May 15th? A lot of schools have deposit deadlines on may 1st, though I know with a scholarship you would have already had to deposit at Northwestern.

http://www.lsac.org/jd/apply/whom-to-admit.asp

bottom paragraph

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:10 pm

I feel like I probably know Twinkle's situation better than you if only based on the shear volume of PMs exchanged between she and I and all of her threads I have participated in. I'm sure Champagnepapi is also well aware.

Still vote Cornell, NU if she really hates Ithaca. Wasn't an option but I think her actual best choice is UCLA.

twinkletoes16

Postby twinkletoes16 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:12 pm

BigZuck wrote:

I feel like I probably know Twinkle's situation better than you if only based on the shear volume of PMs exchanged between she and I and all of her threads I have participated in. I'm sure Champagnepapi is also well aware.

Still vote Cornell, NU if she really hates Ithaca. Wasn't an option but I think her actual best choice is UCLA.

Pming you again, haha.

***corgy***

Postby ***corgy*** » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:27 pm

edited to delete what was obviously not helpful. :) sorry guys!
Last edited by ***corgy*** on Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:32 pm

Still dreading ithaca as much as when we talked?

twinkletoes16

Postby twinkletoes16 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:34 pm

wert3813 wrote:Still dreading ithaca as much as when we talked?

yes. i think i would have to buy a lot of vodka and one of those S.A.D. lamps. and probably a puppy.

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:35 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:
wert3813 wrote:Still dreading ithaca as much as when we talked?

yes. i think i would have to buy a lot of vodka and one of those S.A.D. lamps. and probably a puppy.

Then attending is a bad idea. NU brings with it a manageable debt load.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:38 pm

***corgy*** wrote:I just turned down 150ish from Penn and I'm choosing Berkeley, likely at sticker. I'm for sure going into PI so LRAP makes it a little (but not much) less scary. But it felt so right so say no to schools I didn't want to attend for the one I love.

That is objectively retarded.

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:38 pm

***corgy*** wrote:I vote Northwestern or Berkeley. I've stalked you on TLS for a while now and you seem to love Berkeley as much as me. I don't know about you but I really want to be happy for the next three years. I've lived in the cold long enough and am ready to be back in my home state.

I just turned down 150ish from Penn and I'm choosing Berkeley, likely at sticker. I'm for sure going into PI so LRAP makes it a little (but not much) less scary. But it felt so right so say no to schools I didn't want to attend for the one I love.

I specifically did not make one of these polls because I didn't want to hear people telling me not to go to Berkeley. So if you want someone to tell you to just go to the school you like the best, I will be that person.

You sound way more responsible about money than I am. But I think a big factor should be personal happiness, because I know I couldn't be as successful during law school while suffering through 3 more years of S.A.D., pasty skin, and ugly jackets.

$293,000

twinkletoes16

Postby twinkletoes16 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:40 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
***corgy*** wrote:I just turned down 150ish from Penn and I'm choosing Berkeley, likely at sticker. I'm for sure going into PI so LRAP makes it a little (but not much) less scary. But it felt so right so say no to schools I didn't want to attend for the one I love.

Yeah, I'm not sure I could do that. I'm CA or bust, but NU is essentially paying me to live in Chi for 40k/year right now. Not bad at all.

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:43 pm

All, can we do TT (a solid TLSer) a favor and keep this on her and her decision rather than telling this other person they are dumb...

A. they already made their decision and aren't changing it.
B. We are all very likely to agree so there is no point in everyone saying it.
C. Future people who read that post would have to get through 7 pages of reasonable sound discussion so hopefully they will know that what this person is saying is not wise.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:44 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:

Yeah, I'm not sure I could do that. I'm CA or bust, but NU is essentially paying me to live in Chi for 40k/year right now. Not bad at all.

Picking NU over Cornell is not even in the same fucking realm as what that other poster did. I think NU is your best bet here so congrats on your options. I definitely know how tough making a choice like this can be. Parsing your emotions from reason is a lot tougher than it looks.

twinkletoes16

Postby twinkletoes16 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:45 pm

wert3813 wrote:All, can we do TT (a solid TLSer) a favor and keep this on her and her decision rather than telling this other person they are dumb...

C. Future people who read that post would have to get through 7 pages of reasonable sound discussion so hopefully they will know that what this person is saying is not wise.

when all is said and done i'll edit my first post to dissuade people from berkeley at sticker. no worries. 8)

i know altogether i have some really nice choices...just now getting down to crunch time and I'm still not that much closer to a decision. The consensus seems to be that the Michigan bump to 90k doesn't matter?

***corgy***

Postby ***corgy*** » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:48 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:
wert3813 wrote:All, can we do TT (a solid TLSer) a favor and keep this on her and her decision rather than telling this other person they are dumb...

when all is said and done i'll edit my first post to dissuade people from berkeley at sticker. no worries. 8)

i know altogether i have some really nice choices...just now getting down to crunch time and I'm still not that much closer to a decision. The consensus seems to be that the Michigan bump to 90k doesn't matter?

lol alright alright! I'll delete my post if I can figure out how... Good luck twinkletoes you have great options!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”