Cornell $$$ vs USC/LA $$$ vs NU $$$ vs Berkeley Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where to go?

Cornell
22%
Northwestern
33%
Berkeley- who cares about debt?!
26%
UCLA
16%
USC
4%

Total votes: 163

TripTrip

Gold

Re: Cornell $$$ vs USC/LA $$$ vs NU $$$ vs Berkeley

Post by TripTrip » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:21 am

Gah.

I know we've talked about this before, but I wouldn't take NU over Cornell, especially with that price difference. I know you prefer the city, but dat COL and tuition difference over three years is killer.

However, counter to the general consensus ITT, I don't think you can outright eliminate UCLA from play. It does place well in Cali.

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:27 am

wert3813 wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:I think Cornell is probably the best bet. Maybe USC or UCLA if you are really serious about only wanting CA.

Just curious why NU is winning? Yeah, its placement stats are great, but largely because of work experience, I surmise. To me, the lower T13 are peers and not worth $40,000 for a marginal ranking increase. Also, Cornell probably has the best quality of life of all your choices if you like a chill college town.
OP has pretty much said she would dread Ithaca because or personal preference. That's probably why.
How is that even possible? Ithaca is gorgeous and not hot all the time. And has a hip Ivy population.

wert3813

Silver

Post by wert3813 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:28 am

Tom Joad wrote:
wert3813 wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:I think Cornell is probably the best bet. Maybe USC or UCLA if you are really serious about only wanting CA.

Just curious why NU is winning? Yeah, its placement stats are great, but largely because of work experience, I surmise. To me, the lower T13 are peers and not worth $40,000 for a marginal ranking increase. Also, Cornell probably has the best quality of life of all your choices if you like a chill college town.
OP has pretty much said she would dread Ithaca because or personal preference. That's probably why.
How is that even possible? Ithaca is gorgeous and not hot all the time. And has a hip Ivy population.
Far away from an airport, not a big city, thousands of miles from family? IDK but these are reasons I could think of.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:32 am

wert3813 wrote:

Chicago obviously is a much better and bigger city and more exciting place. However, that's not worth 40k.

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:36 am

According to my calculations, a stack of 40,000 dollar bills would be almost 21 feet high, and most of the time in law school you are just doing law school stuff at school or your apartment.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:38 am

I think for many people (even myself), it is hard to fathom the idea that people can be so strongly affected by their location. For many of us, the thought that being far away from home and family or being in the type of city we don't prefer could make us feel like shit is simply unimaginable. I'm not saying twink is like that, but I think it is a disservice to ignore the fact that these sorts of people exist. I've known people who wouldn't handle being in a new environment well. They wouldn't handle being far away from their friends and family well.

While I think that it doesn't make sense to shell out 40k more for NU, I do think that there are people for whom it might be worth it simply because they'd be that much more likely to end up in Ithaca's gorges.

wert3813

Silver

Post by wert3813 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:51 am

bk187 wrote:I think for many people (even myself), it is hard to fathom the idea that people can be so strongly affected by their location. For many of us, the thought that being far away from home and family or being in the type of city we don't prefer could make us feel like shit is simply unimaginable. I'm not saying twink is like that, but I think it is a disservice to ignore the fact that these sorts of people exist. I've known people who wouldn't handle being in a new environment well. They wouldn't handle being far away from their friends and family well.

While I think that it doesn't make sense to shell out 40k more for NU, I do think that there are people for whom it might be worth it simply because they'd be that much more likely to end up in Ithaca's gorges.
Yeah this is credited. I think if you are dreading going to a place before you get there, rational or not, you are probably not going to excel academically or socially.

untar614

Silver

Post by untar614 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:45 am

wert3813 wrote:
bk187 wrote:I think for many people (even myself), it is hard to fathom the idea that people can be so strongly affected by their location. For many of us, the thought that being far away from home and family or being in the type of city we don't prefer could make us feel like shit is simply unimaginable. I'm not saying twink is like that, but I think it is a disservice to ignore the fact that these sorts of people exist. I've known people who wouldn't handle being in a new environment well. They wouldn't handle being far away from their friends and family well.

Yeah this is credited. I think if you are dreading going to a place before you get there, rational or not, you are probably not going to excel academically or socially.
This, for one. And the fears about the location may very well be true (some who live there may not mind it, but it is still largely a college town and frequently covered with snow). I also still believe Chicago offers the potential to live much more cheaply and make this cost difference much less than posted. Also, being able to get direct flights straight out of chicago can make it easier to travel to do any scouting one might want to do. Now this is just speculation, but employers in more varied locations may be more used to dealing with NW grads as NW isn't so focused on one area. OP might be wise to bid for Texas too as she has family there and said she'd be ok with there, even though CA is her first choice.

I would take usc/ucla out because you can be 10% over median and still miss out on biglaw. You're going to law school to be a lawyer, so go where you are likely to be successful at that. If OP valued Cali above being a successful lawyer, then she'd probably be better off not going to law school and gambling any debt at all, and just find a low-risk way of working her way up. But if she's gonna gamble, then go berk. I think it's the more rational gamble as you still have a good shot of achieving your desired outcome. I could understand UCLA if she didn't have that option, but she does.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:10 am

People who are choosing Berkeley don't really understand how much 250K is. How long is it going to take her to pay that off, especially considering the high COL and taxes in CA?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:23 am

BigZuck wrote:People who are choosing Berkeley don't really understand how much 250K is. How long is it going to take her to pay that off, especially considering the high COL and taxes in CA?
Yeah, no one is really talking about the perils of big law in this thread as much as in others. I don't know much about CA big law, but I would guess that full price at Berkeley will take close to 8-10 years to pay off, depending on COL, which, again, I know nothing about. Berkeley's the perfect fit for Twinkle, but she would need to last in big law for a long time. Berkeley's LRAP could be a factor here too, if it's decent, but, again, I know nothing about that.

CourCour

Bronze

Post by CourCour » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:54 am

Are you factoring in that you would get instate in your first and second year. I'm just saying, nothing matches what you want to do like Berkeley. You're worth the investment.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:57 am

Went ahead and voted Berkeley because I think that's what will be chosen and I love being right.

Eta: :P

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:42 am

ph5354a wrote:
BigZuck wrote:People who are choosing Berkeley don't really understand how much 250K is. How long is it going to take her to pay that off, especially considering the high COL and taxes in CA?
Yeah, no one is really talking about the perils of big law in this thread as much as in others. I don't know much about CA big law, but I would guess that full price at Berkeley will take close to 8-10 years to pay off, depending on COL, which, again, I know nothing about. Berkeley's the perfect fit for Twinkle, but she would need to last in big law for a long time. Berkeley's LRAP could be a factor here too, if it's decent, but, again, I know nothing about that.
You just want people to pout on her parade like they did yours. :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:45 am

BigZuck wrote:Went ahead and voted Berkeley because I think that's what will be chosen and I love being right.

Pretty sure if Berk threw down $10k/yr, twinkle would go there. I bet they will do even more than that, but it will be after the deposit deadline. :?

untar614

Silver

Post by untar614 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:47 am

TripTrip wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Went ahead and voted Berkeley because I think that's what will be chosen and I love being right.

Pretty sure if Berk threw down $10k/yr, twinkle would go there. I bet they will do even more than that, but it will be after the deposit deadline. :?
Yeah. how much is the deposit? I think it may be worth it to multi deposit and play that game for her.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:48 am

untar614 wrote:
TripTrip wrote:

Yeah. how much is the deposit? I think it may be worth it to multi deposit and play that game for her.
I think the question is not whether twinkle should deposit at Berk so much as where the second deposit should go.

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:48 am

toothbrush wrote: You just want people to pout on her parade like they did yours. :D
Hahaha, I didn't want to bring things back to my own decision, but that's exactly what I was thinking :D I've seen this a few time --depending on who clicks on a thread, the answers, particularly regarding debt, are completely different.

I wonder how much OP can save if she commits to living in squalor at Berkeley for 3 years.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:52 am

TripTrip wrote:

I don't know man. Her gpa is quite low for them (and they whore that stuff big time), she's non-URM, and, most importantly, Berk's gonna Berk. No shortage of kids lining up to pay sticker there and considering she is a splitter (for them) I'm not super optimistic about her chances of squeezing any decent money out of them. If she withdrew they could probably find a 3.8/167 off the waitlist who's best option right now is Cornell and who would have no problem paying sticker in sunny CA over sticker or slight discount at gloomy ass Ithaca.

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:53 am

BigZuck wrote:
TripTrip wrote:

I don't know man. Her gpa is quite low for them (and they whore that stuff big time), she's non-URM, and, most importantly, Berk's gonna Berk. No shortage of kids lining up to pay sticker there and considering she is a splitter (for them) I'm not super optimistic about her chances of squeezing any decent money out of them. If she withdrew they could probably find a 3.8/167 off the waitlist who's best option right now is Cornell and who would have no problem paying sticker in sunny CA over sticker or slight discount at gloomy ass Ithaca.
You make lawl school admissions sounds so fair and balanced.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:55 am

toothbrush wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
TripTrip wrote:

You make lawl school admissions sounds so fair and balanced.
I think Cornell is a great school. I just feel I need to do my TLS duty and bash Ithaca whereever possible.

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:57 am

BigZuck wrote:
I think Cornell is a great school. I just feel I need to do my TLS duty and bash Ithaca whereever possible.
Berks gunna Berk

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

untar614

Silver

Post by untar614 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:57 am

TripTrip wrote:
untar614 wrote:
TripTrip wrote:

I think the question is not whether twinkle should deposit at Berk so much as where the second deposit should go.
Given that she has a scholarhip there, wouldn't she have had to already deposit at Northwestern?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:02 am

toothbrush wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
Berks gunna Berk
My bad, clearly I don't understand what you mean. I don't blame you, it's my fault, I'm dense.

But yes, I think Berkeley had managed to attain a mythical "we actually have values" status amongst top law schools and it is the best law school in probably the most desireable place to live in the country (other than the impossible to snag Stanford, of course) so people are beating down its doors. They even have super nice rejection letters FFS! So yeah, they do what they want. And since they don't want to give a lot of merit money, they don't. People still go.

twinkletoes16

Silver

Post by twinkletoes16 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:26 pm

wert3813 wrote:

This. I know myself and my limitations and have lived realllllly far from family and friends (think different continent), and I know that having a nearby network of family+friends makes a huge difference in my performance/well-being. While TLS is fantastic for cut-and-dry monetary considerations, sometimes other "soft" factors take precedence, and while not always rational (cause let's be real, 1L is going to be miserable anywhere), I think it makes a difference for me, personally. Like I said earlier, I've also been moving all over the place and am just tired of doing so and feeling like a weird 20-something nomad.

Also FWIW I've been working on the calculations and the difference between NU and Cornell looks more like 30kish. Not accounting for living more cheaply in Chicago yet either, so could be less.

twinkletoes16

Silver

Post by twinkletoes16 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:31 pm

Also if anyone is good at math and could look over my figures, that would be much appreciated! Just PM me if you'd be willing to help :D

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”