Cornell (30k) v. Emory (81k) v. Retake - Poll

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

With PI in mind

Cornell (30k)
30%
Emory (81k)
21%
Retake
48%

Total votes: 33

gtstate09

Cornell (30k) v. Emory (81k) v. Retake - Poll

Postby gtstate09 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:53 pm

Not including the possibility of getting off the waitlists at Duke and Georgetown, this is what my cycle has come down to. I probably should have applied to Vandy and Michigan, but I originally intended to go to Emory or any T14 that wavered my application fee and would let me in (that was pre-tls enlightenment). Oh and with my last semester's gpa, my numbers are now 168/3.7.

Goals:

I definitely want to work in public interest. While I know that I'll have to start as a PD or with a fellowship, I don't want my law degree to close any PI doors.

I want to return to Georgia/SE because it's where I went to UG and it's where my family and my so's family lives. So I would be happy taking a PI in the middle of nowhere.

Retake:

I worry a bit that my 3.7 will limit my potential to actually get into the t6. It seems that PI options are pretty much the same among the lower t14.

As far as my lsat, I felt like I might have over performed. I did pt one 169, but the two weeks leading up to the test I was hitting around 162/163. Though that might have been fatigue/nerves.

while I'm a k-jd, I would probably have to work food service or retail for the next year because of my history degree. I would much rather just move on with my life given that I've worked food service part time all 4 years of ug. I also want to go ahead and start my life with my so. I feel like it's better to go ahead and get law school, specifically 1l, out of the while she's in grad school.

COA (LST-Scholarship)

Cornell - $241,785
Emory - $178,887

Insane, I know. But I'm pretty set on PI, so I'll have to rely on Cornell's lrap or PAYE :|

Doorkeeper

Re: Cornell (30k) v. Emory (81k) v. Retake - Poll

Postby Doorkeeper » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:07 pm

Retake is the definite answer here. You bump yourself up 3-4 points on the LSAT and you'll be sitting pretty with multiple T14s with scholarship.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:03 pm

Neither of these are great options for PI. Michigan should be your goal, their LRAP is superior: I say reapply.

"Retake" seems unclear because you PTd many pts below your score (congrats btw), but keep in mind your studying while in undergrad was implicitly inefficient. I tried to take the LSAT senior year and it was a disaster. I retook and re-studied after graduation and was PTing much higher -> scored 172, even working 50 hrs/wk in mngmt consulting, so with a part time job you could do wonders.

edit: I'll add that while it seems scary and backwards to take time off, it will almost definitely benefit you in the long run at better school/less crippling debt, more maturity when you enter, and some time to decompress/explore another field.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:06 pm

gtstate09 wrote:I worry a bit that my 3.7 will limit my potential to actually get into the t6.

erase this worry from your mind. I'd say you're blocked from HYS, but you're in at CCN with 4-5 pts on your lsat.

dissonance1848

Postby dissonance1848 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:17 pm

With a 3.7 GPA, the OP can get H (according to LSN), and has a fighting chance at Y/S too. Just retake and kill the LSAT OP.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:19 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
gtstate09 wrote:I worry a bit that my 3.7 will limit my potential to actually get into the t6.

erase this worry from your mind. I'd say you're blocked from HYS, but you're in at CCN with 4-5 pts on your lsat.

H also occasionally dips into the 3.7X range as well if you have an above median LSAT and great softs.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:24 pm

dissonance1848 wrote:With a 3.7 GPA, the OP can get H (according to LSN), and has a fighting chance at Y/S too. Just retake and kill the LSAT OP.

possible, but looking at lsn data, only with 174+ and an Ivy/prestige UG and some impressive soft. I would give the average 3.7 GPA individual from the average undergrad an epsilon chance of admission. anyway, not particularly relevant since only 0.3% or so of lsat takers score over 174 anyway and I think OP would be happy with decent T14 money

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:26 pm

Cornell is really expensive. You're still looking at 230k in debt. I'd retake. If you decide to go take cornell. Emory is way too expensive at that price.

gtstate09

Postby gtstate09 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:42 pm

jbagelboy wrote:Neither of these are great options for PI. Michigan should be your goal, their LRAP is superior: I say reapply.

"Retake" seems unclear because you PTd many pts below your score (congrats btw), but keep in mind your studying while in undergrad was implicitly inefficient. I tried to take the LSAT senior year and it was a disaster. I retook and re-studied after graduation and was PTing much higher -> scored 172, even working 50 hrs/wk in mngmt consulting, so with a part time job you could do wonders.

edit: I'll add that while it seems scary and backwards to take time off, it will almost definitely benefit you in the long run at better school/less crippling debt, more maturity when you enter, and some time to decompress/explore another field.

Yea Michigan really is the biggest regret I have this cycle. Since they don't average lsats (correct me if I'm wrong), I guess I don't have much to lose.

And I hear you on taking the lsat during ug. I was juggling a part-time job, 15 hrs of classes (though some were jokes), and not neglecting my so/friends too much.

As for HLS, I would love that of course. But I doubt I would have a chance since I don't have amazing softs and they would hold that 168 against me.

Thank y'all for the advice so far!

radar714

Postby radar714 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:58 pm

I agree with retake sentiment, but if you're deadset on going (which is inadvisable with that amount of debt) you should definitely get more money out of emory. I got 78k with a 3.6/166 and a 3.7/168 puts you at median GPA and well above 75th LSAT, you should be looking at at least 100k scholly. still retake tho

Return to “Choosing a Law School”