Penn v. UVA??? Poll time!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Penn or UVA?

Penn (COA ~ 40k)
74%
UVA (COA ~ 20k)
26%

Total votes: 78

Bob-Loblaw 1

Penn v. UVA??? Poll time!

Postby Bob-Loblaw 1 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:33 pm

Alright, so it has come down to this...a TLS poll.

A little about me:
Ideally I would like to do a clerkship and then biglaw.
However, it wouldn't be the end of the world if I had to forego the clerkship component.
I graduated form undergrad in LA, and I would absolutely love to come back and practice in Southern California for the long term.
CA biglaw > NY/DC biglaw > working at In-N-Out in CA living in a ditch
For the short term, I wouldn't be opposed to living in NY or DC for a few years.

The schools
I visited UVA and liked it a lot, however I am a little unsure about living in Charlottesville for three years, as I love cities.
I haven't visited Penn for LS, however I visited for undergrad admissions and loved it there.

The money
I have substantial scholarships at both schools, and my parents are helping me out with some of the expenses as well (thank you parents!). At the end of the day, Penn is going to wind up costing me about 10k-20k more than UVA including COL. However, neither option will set me back more than about 50k.

SO, are saving a little money, having a bit better quality of life/cheaper apartments, and marginally higher federal clerkship numbers enough to justify UVA over Penn?

Let the TLS gods decide...

twenty

Re: Penn v. UVA??? Poll time!

Postby twenty » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:38 pm

It comes down to personal preference, but since you have no ties to DC or the south, I'd go with Penn and gun for NYC biglaw. Then, when you hate it, you can go back to California and work in some pseudo-law-related career.

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:38 pm

Bob-Loblaw 1 wrote:Alright, so it has come down to this...a TLS poll.

A little about me:
Ideally I would like to do a clerkship and then biglaw.
However, it wouldn't be the end of the world if I had to forego the clerkship component.
I graduated form undergrad in LA, and I would absolutely love to come back and practice in Southern California for the long term.
CA biglaw > NY/DC biglaw > working at In-N-Out in CA living in a ditch
For the short term, I wouldn't be opposed to living in NY or DC for a few years.

The schools
I visited UVA and liked it a lot, however I am a little unsure about living in Charlottesville for three years, as I love cities.
I haven't visited Penn for LS, however I visited for undergrad admissions and loved it there.

The money
I have substantial scholarships at both schools, and my parents are helping me out with some of the expenses as well (thank you parents!). At the end of the day, Penn is going to wind up costing me about 10k-20k more than UVA including COL. However, neither option will set me back more than about 50k.

SO, are saving a little money, having a bit better quality of life/cheaper apartments, and marginally higher federal clerkship numbers enough to justify UVA over Penn?

Let the TLS gods decide...

I think I would choose penn in your situation. You can't go wrong with either school, but penn is good enough to justify the 20k more. That and, as an unknowledgeable 0L, I would assume penn has more reach to CA firms, and I have heard UVA has a very ugly and unfriendly grading curve. With that said, I think the brunt of the choice depends on your own personal happiness in this decision, and it seems like you would prefer Penn, although I would attempt to visit again if you are not a K-JD to make sure it hasn't changed from what you remember.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:41 pm

You're in a great position. Do what makes you happy. I voted for Penn because it's my dream school.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:46 pm

Dmini7 wrote:as an unknowledgeable 0L, I would assume penn has more reach to CA firms

this is why I pick UPenn but yeah, I have no idea.

Both options are great, goodluck

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:52 pm

Would definitely pick Penn in your situation.

Be careful about reading UVA's clerkship placement numbers as necessarily indicative of greater placement ability. In any case, you're very unlikely to end up with a federal clerkship -- a one-year job -- from either school. It would make a hell of a lot more sense to focus on the numbers involving the longer-term jobs that most people attending these schools are hoping to land (i.e. BigLaw).

twentypercentmore wrote:It comes down to personal preference

I suppose everything could boil down to personal preference, but I don't think that should be the driving consideration here. Penn places significantly better than UVA.

Bob-Loblaw 1

Postby Bob-Loblaw 1 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:17 pm

It comes down to personal preference, but since you have no ties to DC or the south, I'd go with Penn and gun for NYC biglaw. Then, when you hate it, you can go back to California and work in some pseudo-law-related career.

I realize this may be beyond the scope of my post, but how difficult is it to work at a good firm in NY and then leave to go work somewhere else (preferably CA) after 2-5 years?

I would be more than down to gun for NYC biglaw if it wouldn't result in being stuck in the northeast indefinitely (and will probably end up being down anyway)

mh013

Postby mh013 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:32 pm

I realize this may be beyond the scope of my post, but how difficult is it to work at a good firm in NY and then leave to go work somewhere else (preferably CA) after 2-5 years?

I would be more than down to gun for NYC biglaw if it wouldn't result in being stuck in the northeast indefinitely (and will probably end up being down anyway)

also interested in this

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:40 pm

I would go to Penn. You are in a very enviable position. You could make $20K by waiting tables for a year. That is not enough of a difference in COA to turn down a better placing school like Penn. Before I started researching law schools, I had never heard of this place called "UVA."

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:42 pm

Peer schools, you save more money at UVA so i'd go that route. If for some reason you love penn more than UVA than enjoy Philly. Either way congrats on some really good options.
Last edited by Br3v on Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:48 pm

Penn. Dat Ivy League swag...

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:08 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:Penn. Dat Ivy League swag...

GMGP

Postby GMGP » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:47 pm

nearing 60% placement in biglaw, love UVA but at this price Penn all the way

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:58 pm

Yep, Penn at this price is amazing. Congrats!

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:01 pm

Penn has substantially better Biglaw placement. UVA has very marginally better clerkship placement. That said, you're essentially going for free either way, so do whatever makes you happiest.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:21 pm

Penn.

Jaqen

Postby Jaqen » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:53 pm

Neither choice would be a mistake, but given the small COA difference, your preference for cities, and their placement stats, I vote Penn.

Bob-Loblaw 1

Postby Bob-Loblaw 1 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:54 pm

Anyone who voted for UVA care to explain their choice?

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:56 pm

Bob-Loblaw 1 wrote:Anyone who voted for UVA care to explain their choice?

I love UVA, and I still voted Penn. While I think the differences are exaggerated, for BigLaw Penn is one of the best options.

WahooLaw24

Postby WahooLaw24 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:59 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:
Bob-Loblaw 1 wrote:Anyone who voted for UVA care to explain their choice?

I love UVA, and I still voted Penn. While I think the differences are exaggerated, for BigLaw Penn is one of the best options.

Bob-Loblaw 1

Postby Bob-Loblaw 1 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:56 pm

Thanks for the input guys!

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:02 pm

No Berkeley?

Bob-Loblaw 1

Postby Bob-Loblaw 1 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:19 pm

Rejected from Berkeley.
Haven't heard from Columbia or Stanford.
WL'd at Harvard.

Postby 005618502 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:18 am

Bob-Loblaw 1 wrote:

I dont know the answer to this. I do know that UVA places amazing into CA. Why would you go to NYC to start if thats not where you wanted to be? Just go straight to CA if thats the end goal.

Also, with your options, I would go with Penn if I wanted NYC and UVA if I wanted the south and either one for CA probably doesnt make a difference.

Bob-Loblaw 1

Postby Bob-Loblaw 1 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:32 am

Just got in to CLS, thread is now obsolete.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”