American University School of Public Affairs vs. Suffolk Law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BCLS

Re: American University School of Public Affairs vs. Suffolk Law

Postby BCLS » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:12 pm

treenapolits wrote:The advice I asked for was whether American University School of Public Affairs would be better than Suffolk Law School, not whether or not I should go to either. Now the choice is between American University School of Public Affairs and/or Washington College of Law, Suffolk University, or St. John's (full ride). If you would like to give me any information on the distinctions between those schools, feel free. I fully absorbed the information and advice all posters here have given so far, and it is much appreciated.

Suffolk has terrible placement. No one in Boston really respects it (don't let the Suffolk kiddies tell you otherwise).

empyreanrrv

Postby empyreanrrv » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:20 pm

All of these schools are bad. Go to St. John's and at least get the first year free before onerous stips take away your scholarship.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:43 pm

romothesavior wrote:Why don't you think you'll improve on the LSAT ?

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:10 pm

Can you tell us, even in a vague sense, how you or someone else is funding this?

pastapplicant

Postby pastapplicant » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:16 pm

OP, you really need to listen to people in this thread. They have no reason to squash your dreams, and it is rare to have so many people offer the best advice you will hear. I would just like to add by addressing the MPA/MPP side of your situation. It is pretty obvious and common sense even if you choose not to accept it that Suffolk Law or St John's Law are both garbage institutions that will get you nowhere. Even if they are free for you you would be wasting 3 years for a worthless degree and wasting the money of whoever is funding your education.

Now for the MPA/MPP choice at American. I am in a dual program with a MPA program so I have knowledge regarding MPA/MPP programs. We both know that the U.S. News rankings for public affairs programs are not reliable. Off the top of my head I can list many programs that outperform American such as Columbia, Princeton, Harvard Kennedy, Tufts, Berkeley, Michigan, Carnegie Mellon, Texas, Georgetown, John Hopkins, NYU, Chicago, etc. American is just not strong enough to be shelling out money and time for a degree that also will not get you where you want to go nor will the opportunities coming out of American be close to justifying the investment in time and money. Yes, it does have an advantage of being in D.C., but this advantage is not very significant.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”