CHOOSING A LAW SCHOOL=TORTURE...HELP!!!!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
alp304

CHOOSING A LAW SCHOOL=TORTURE...HELP!!!!

Postby alp304 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:00 pm

HI...I have never before posted in one of these so im not quite sure what to say/how to say it...I have been receiving acceptances from law schools and am overwhelmed by the decision making process. I went and visited several schools and fell in love with New York Law. While i have gotten into "better" schools (i am judging this based on rank) i am really unsure how NYLS is viewed by attorneys/employers maybe as compared to Villanova, Seton Hall, Hofstra, St. Johns.... If anyone can give me insight into this that would be great

Additionally, has anyone attended NYLS, if so do you have any information about the institution, classes, class size, professors, students, internships, housing (i loved the apartments).

Finally, when employers are making decisions is rank the most important factor? or is it more based on internships, experience, personality, drive etc?

THANKSSSS!!!!!!

THANKS!!!!

jbagelboy

Re: CHOOSING A LAW SCHOOL=TORTURE...HELP!!!!

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:07 pm

How much money would you be paying to attend/who will pay for it? What are your gpa/lsat?

real talk, since you'll get it from everyone here harsher than me: while we don't mean to diminish your accomplishments, none of the schools you listed here, ny law especially, are worth attending if it puts you in any debt and if you don't have ties to a job on the other side.

consider browsing the forum a bit and looking at law school transparency.

tuffyjohnson

Postby tuffyjohnson » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:27 pm

THIS --> http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=newyork

At 48K per year NYLS is really expensive. Read the LST report and see if you like your chances of servicing a 200K+ debt load after graduating.

What is your LSAT? Have you thought about a retake?
Last edited by tuffyjohnson on Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:28 pm

:lol:

Master Tofu

Postby Master Tofu » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:42 pm

SpaceLawLLM

Postby SpaceLawLLM » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:01 pm

NYLS is an excellent decision!

It is ranked #1 on the "Top 14 After the Top 14"

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=207701

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:21 pm

NYLS is objectively one of the worst schools in the nation. It's not worth attending for free. Its job employment stats are so bad, that after some of their unemployed grads banded together and sued NYLS in a class-action, the suit was dismissed because the reported employment stats were so obviously falsified, that no sophisticated and reasonable consumer would ever take them seriously.

Think long and hard about whether that is a future you want for yourself.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”