Vanderbilt: What do you think about it?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
CorpusChristi

Re: Vanderbilt: What do you think about it?

Postby CorpusChristi » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:53 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
froglee wrote:
Remember you are competing with a lot of rich American kids who most likely have a lot of ties in the area. You, as a foreigner, have a strong disadvantage in a southern city in terms of job seeking. Everyone likes uhh..which city Vanderbilt is located in again? You will compete with HYS and other t14 law students who wants to work in that city, even for mid-size firms. If you want to better shot at getting legal jobs, the best way to do so is to get a degree from a top10 school. Vanderbilt can do nothing for you as a foreigner.

This might be true. Another element to consider is, if you spent $250,000 and struck out at OCI and had no job after graduation, your degree from Vandy would have little to no portability back to Europe. You would probably have to move to Nashville, apply for US citizenship, establish contacts, and then attend, but this could be a 5-7 year process (not worth it IMO). As I said, Vanderbilt is a feeder school for professionals with (strong) southern ties.

Someone with your credentials should be looking at Columbia and Harvard, so you can actually take the degree overseas if necessary.

No point in OP getting an LLM since he already has an international law degree and he his goal is practice law in the US (I would think?).

Exactly, I'd love to practice in the USA. And thanks for your answer, I'd definitely think about NYC unis and the top3.

Thanks again!

CorpusChristi

Postby CorpusChristi » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:40 pm

froglee wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
froglee wrote:
No point in OP getting an LLM since he already has an international law degree and he his goal is practice law in the US (I would think?).

I could be wrong. But don't some foreigners who hold foreign law degrees come to US to get their LLM for the sake of practicing law in US?

I have friends who did their law degree out of US and got their LLM in US, but they are practicing in Hong Kong and China.

As I am going to graduate from a University of London college, I am allowed to sit the bar exam, without the need to even do LLM, in two states: NY and California. For other states, requirements differ. Nevertheless, as someone's already pointed it out, I don't stand a chance holding a LLB against the people with J.D. from the USA. Thus, as I am still young and willing to deepen my knowledge, I'd love to take J.D. course.

Best regards!:)

banjo

Postby banjo » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:56 pm

Get a training contract at a magic circle / other big firm and transfer to their US office after a few years.

Rlabo

Postby Rlabo » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:17 pm

From what i've read thus far, Vandy is definitely a great school with more portability than most schools it ranks with. With a 174 and your personal goals and living preferences I would also check out Michigan, Duke, and Penn. Penn may be really good for you as it is not a major city like NYC and it also not a small town like Nashville but kind of in between. It also has very solid employment numbers and would be more portable than Vandy.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:18 pm

Nashville is an amazing city. And it's only getting better.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:34 pm

Rlabo wrote:Penn may be really good for you as it is not a major city like NYC and it also not a small town like Nashville but kind of in between.

while I see your point, your classifications of philly as "not a major city" and nashville as "a small town" are a little misleading

Rlabo

Postby Rlabo » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:54 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Rlabo wrote:Penn may be really good for you as it is not a major city like NYC and it also not a small town like Nashville but kind of in between.

while I see your point, your classifications of philly as "not a major city" and nashville as "a small town" are a little misleading

To be clear, it was all in reference to NYC/London. Relatively speaking, Penn is not a culture shock for some1 from nyc where nashville would more likely be (you could also say its an east v south thing). Penn doesn't fall right in the middle but its a good option even id it does lean more to big city than small town. Boston may be good for OP as well in that respect.

CorpusChristi

Postby CorpusChristi » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:09 am

Rlabo wrote:From what i've read thus far, Vandy is definitely a great school with more portability than most schools it ranks with. With a 174 and your personal goals and living preferences I would also check out Michigan, Duke, and Penn. Penn may be really good for you as it is not a major city like NYC and it also not a small town like Nashville but kind of in between. It also has very solid employment numbers and would be more portable than Vandy.

Thanks for your response.

I've been thinking about Penn for some time now. It definitely looks like a good alternative to Vandy, with regards to city-life etc. Michigan - I've done some research now that you gave me the idea and I love it, too!

Thank you again!

CorpusChristi

Postby CorpusChristi » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:16 am

banjo wrote:Get a training contract at a magic circle / other big firm and transfer to their US office after a few years.

As I have done internships at two of the magic circle law firms during summers, I've got the idea of that. Nevertheless, I was told that it is a rather tedious process and requires a couple of years at a mother office ( London ), and only then can you be considered for a transfer. Yet, as it is magic circle law firms, I was also told there are tens of people who want to do that each year.

I am still rather young and definitely going to do a postgraduate law degree ( hopefully in the USA - J.D. ). Let's face it - the undergraduate law degree from the UK is only well perceived in the UK, Aus and NZ. I am from a continental Europe and wherever I go, be it France, Germany, the Netherlands or my homecountry, Poland, all the law employers are frank about it: no one gives you a job with the undergraduate degree since all those countries, just like the USA, have their law degrees at postgraduate level. And I honestly do not want to stick with London option only.

Thanks for your answer, though! I appreciate it!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”