Vanderbilt: What do you think about it? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
CorpusChristi

New

Vanderbilt: What do you think about it?

Post by CorpusChristi » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:43 pm

Hi,

I'm rather new to this forum. I come from Europe and I study law at University of London. If there's anything wrong with this post, please, let me know for I am not sure whether or not there exists a similar topic. I found some scraps of information in other threads, nevertheless, they were hardly a consistent piece of writing.

As I am graduating from a top law school in the UK this year with rather good grades, my eyes are, basically, set on anything in the USA, incl. the Ivy schools, as well as some public ones. Nevertheless, I've been doing some research and one, particular law school caught my attention. That school is Vanderbilt.

In other threads that I mentioned above, people usually don't consider Vanderbilt one of the best choices. However, I do love the campus ( I've been there and some other schools, doing some real-life browsing ), the area of Nashville, and especially Tennessee, seems very attractive. Having lived and studied in London for 3 years, I am honestly tired of "big city" life and feel. As to my future plans, I am not the personal favourite of the TLS that I've discovered ( rather ironic statement for it's way too obvious ) to be "biglaw" term. I've done some internship at the top5 biggest law firms in the world in London and I don't like the feeling of the bee working for the Queen in the hive. I am certainly leaning towards the view that I may find it rather pleasantly surprising to settle in a place like Nashville or other city with or around 1.000.000 people. The countryside near Nashville was marvellous, too. As to the tuition fees, they will be covered by my family, whichever place I decide to choose.

Therefore, my questions to you are: Do you think that Vanderbilt would enable me to find a job at one of the mid-sized cities, similar to that of Nashville? What are your personal views on Vandebilt University as a whole and the law school in particular, as well as the Nashville area?

I would be vastly grateful for your help and any personal input you decide to offer. I do love your country and it seems like a one I would be able to spend the rest of my life in, working, setting up a family etc. Let's not go too far now, though. Let's focus on Vanderbilt.

Cheers and best regards
Last edited by CorpusChristi on Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheThriller

Gold

Re: Vanderbilt: What do you think about it?

Post by TheThriller » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:11 pm

Calling Rad Lulz.

TheNextAmendment

Bronze

Post by TheNextAmendment » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:17 pm

TheThriller wrote:Calling Dr. Dre

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:30 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:33 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CorpusChristi

New

Post by CorpusChristi » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:27 pm

I am very thankful for your kind response and all the sources you have included therein.

As to the remarks, I do realise the USA is not the most open of the countries with regards to aliens and, actually, I have spoken to numerous people with regards to the employment visa. But, aside from that, I'm still going to do J.D. in the USA since you do have some solid and quite reputable schools.

Nevertheless, apart from pure numbers and statistics, I'd also like to ask you about any personal views regarding the university itself and the area. As you can imagine, during my short stay, I could only see as much as a week in Nashville allowed me to.

Thank you one more time for your previous answer.

Best regards

ironbmike

Bronze

Post by ironbmike » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:36 pm

CorpusChristi wrote:I am very thankful for your kind response and all the sources you have included therein.

As to the remarks, I do realise the USA is not the most open of the countries with regards to aliens and, actually, I have spoken to numerous people with regards to the employment visa. But, aside from that, I'm still going to do J.D. in the USA since you do have some solid and quite reputable schools.

Nevertheless, apart from pure numbers and statistics, I'd also like to ask you about any personal views regarding the university itself and the area. As you can imagine, during my short stay, I could only see as much as a week in Nashville allowed me to.

Best regards
Beautiful landscape, distinct culture, great food. Friendly people.

CorpusChristi

New

Post by CorpusChristi » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:41 pm

ironbmike wrote:
CorpusChristi wrote:I am very thankful for your kind response and all the sources you have included therein.

Best regards
Beautiful landscape, distinct culture, great food. Friendly people.

You don't know how important and stimulating "great food" is for someone who had to suffer through 3 years of English food!!! Yes, the stereotype concerning their cuisine is true!:P

Thanks, mate!

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:43 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CorpusChristi

New

Post by CorpusChristi » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:57 pm

rad lulz wrote:Nashville's a cool place. Lots of good food. Lots of bars playing country music to get ripped at. I like Nashville a lot.

As far as school, I've really disliked law school. That's not specific to here though. I would have hated law school had I gone other places as well.

In one sentence, I don't like law school because it isn't good at the one thing it purports to be able to do, which is teach you how to be a lawyer, and it costs waaaaaay too much money.

I really love that there are at least two of you who say there's some decent food! Like I said in the above comment, food is important!

As to the idea of the law schools, I suppose it's the same in any country that requires only 3 years of law education, incl. the UK, too. As I come from the continental Europe, any civil law system country requires you to study for at least 4-5 years ( automatically granting Masters degree; it is not separated into undergrad. and postgrad. it's simply a Master's degree course, just like medicine ), which is then followed by 2-3 years of traineeship, and only then do you become a fully trained lawyer. That's the real beauty of real law programmes. In Europe, the common law system countries are described to teach you how to become a "law practicioner", not a "lawyer" in the full sense. I would definitely suggest studying it in Europe but I guess it is too late for you, as well as too distant and abstract. For instance, the first year of most of the continental law schools does not incl. any practical law related courses, like criminal law, admin law, law of torts etc. etc. It is mostly composed of modules such as theory of law, Roman law, origins of law, ethics of law, legal systems, philosophy and its doctrines, Latin language and a couple of other subjects which are related to the core understanding of what law is, how it's evolved. On the other side of the coin, though, you are required to memorise all the statues ( in civil law countries there are billions of those ), and a term "open book exam" is a taboo, for you are supposed to know everything and I mean, everything.

I do like the common law system personally, however, I do agree that the three years do not teach you what they are supposed to be teaching you.

So, spending 3 years in Nashville is not a waste of time if I think, in lucky terms ( things we discussed above, incl. work visa applications etc. ), of finding some law firms opportunities in Nashville?

Thanks again! It's all much appreciated!

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:08 pm

CorpusChristi

New

Post by CorpusChristi » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:18 pm

rad lulz wrote:
CorpusChristi wrote: So, spending 3 years in Nashville is not a waste of time if I think, in lucky terms ( things we discussed above, incl. work visa applications etc. ), of finding some law firms opportunities in Nashville?
I mean there's no stat that shows the amount of people who wanted jobs in Nashville vs. the amount of people that actually got them, but I can pretty confidently say that more more people would stay if they had the opportunity. There definitely aren't enough jobs here for everyone that would like one.

Then again, if your folks are willing to throw down up to $250k, there's little risk to you, so go for it I guess

So, more or less, like everywhere in the world.:P Smaller market, fewer places. Totally understandable. Yet again, Vanderbilt, I believe, could be described as the best uni. in Tennessee, thus, it'd be safe to assume one would have better chances of getting a job coming from "Vandy" rather than some other Tennessee law school.

Money consideration is... well, let's say, it's not an issue. Having "superior" and 174 ( first score and waiting for June LSAT to get something more efficient ), should also get me some scholarship and lower the "COA".

Best regards

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:23 pm

Welcome! So others have provided good data and quantitative answers on jobs. It seems like you are also looking for a very generic impression of Vanderbilt and Nashville that might not be readily available from a foreigners perspective. Where in "continental europe" are you from? That might give an idea of comparison.

So are you looking for stereotypes, or anecdotal experiences? Vanderbilt is a prestigious feeder for professional positions in the deep south (Alabama, mississippi, louisiana, tennessee, kentucky, south carolina). A "Southern Ivy", you might say. It's extremely wealthy and well regarded both in the region and to some extent nationwide. It combines southern pseudo-aristocratic traditions with a vibrant youth & music/art scene in Nashville, which has revived the area and made it a major draw for people in their 20s-30s as well as more traditional influences. There's a good deal of diversity now too. These are, of course, popular perceptions, but maybe thats what you are looking for?

The only time I've been to Nashville and Vanderbilt, I enjoyed it and had a pleasant time, although it was extremely humid. Something to be aware of in the south. It is a real "city" though. if you really want the smaller college town feel, look at Duke, another good southern law school, which is located coastal. If you want something that conforms to University of London, go to Penn or Columbia. Good luck!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CorpusChristi

New

Post by CorpusChristi » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:41 pm

jbagelboy wrote:Welcome! So others have provided good data and quantitative answers on jobs. It seems like you are also looking for a very generic impression of Vanderbilt and Nashville that might not be readily available from a foreigners perspective. Where in "continental europe" are you from? That might give an idea of comparison.

So are you looking for stereotypes, or anecdotal experiences? Vanderbilt is a prestigious feeder for professional positions in the deep south (Alabama, mississippi, louisiana, tennessee, kentucky, south carolina). A "Southern Ivy", you might say. It's extremely wealthy and well regarded both in the region and to some extent nationwide. It combines southern pseudo-aristocratic traditions with a vibrant youth & music/art scene in Nashville, which has revived the area and made it a major draw for people in their 20s-30s as well as more traditional influences. There's a good deal of diversity now too. These are, of course, popular perceptions, but maybe thats what you are looking for?

The only time I've been to Nashville and Vanderbilt, I enjoyed it and had a pleasant time, although it was extremely humid. Something to be aware of in the south. It is a real "city" though. if you really want the smaller college town feel, look at Duke, another good southern law school, which is located coastal. If you want something that conforms to University of London, go to Penn or Columbia. Good luck!
Thank you for your answer! I love the anecdotal character of your answer, but, well... maybe it is indeed what I have been trying to get! I love it!:P As I come from an aristocratic family myself, it would seem to fit me perfectly.( joke! )

I'm originally from Poland, but I stated "continental Europe" as I didn't want to assume you, Americans, would really know where it is etc. It is not meant to be offensive towards you, but you'd be surprised how many times I have heard people ask me, in LONDON, what the capital of Poland was. That's, to say the least, really annoying.

As to Duke, I've met a great deal of people from that university. Many of them are exchange undergrad. students. I may consider it, too!

I am definitely tired of the big-city life, especially in the 15-million-people giants like London, NYC etc. I'm definitely into something like Nashville. I also liked Cornell.

Best regards!

froglee

New

Post by froglee » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:25 am

CorpusChristi wrote:Hi,

I'm rather new to this forum. I come from Europe and I study law at University of London. If there's anything wrong with this post, please, let me know for I am not sure whether or not there exists a similar topic. I found some scraps of information in other threads, nevertheless, they were hardly a consistent piece of writing.

As I am graduating from a top law school in the UK this year with rather good grades, my eyes are, basically, set on anything in the USA, incl. the Ivy schools, as well as some public ones. Nevertheless, I've been doing some research and one, particular law school caught my attention. That school is Vanderbilt.

In other threads that I mentioned above, people usually don't consider Vanderbilt one of the best choices. However, I do love the campus ( I've been there and some other schools, doing some real-life browsing ), the area of Nashville, and especially Tennessee, seems very attractive. Having lived and studied in London for 3 years, I am honestly tired of "big city" life and feel. As to my future plans, I am not the personal favourite of the TLS that I've discovered ( rather ironic statement for it's way too obvious ) to be "biglaw" term. I've done some internship at the top5 biggest law firms in the world in London and I don't like the feeling of the bee working for the Queen in the hive. I am certainly leaning towards the view that I may find it rather pleasantly surprising to settle in a place like Nashville or other city with or around 1.000.000 people. The countryside near Nashville was marvellous, too. As to the tuition fees, they will be covered by my family, whichever place I decide to choose.

Therefore, my questions to you are: Do you think that Vanderbilt would enable me to find a job at one of the mid-sized cities, similar to that of Nashville? What are your personal views on Vandebilt University as a whole and the law school in particular, as well as the Nashville area?

I would be vastly grateful for your help and any personal input you decide to offer. I do love your country and it seems like a one I would be able to spend the rest of my life in, working, setting up a family etc. Let's not go too far now, though. Let's focus on Vanderbilt.

Cheers and best regards

If you have a law degree in UK, why do you want to spend money to get a degree in vanderbilt? I think law school tuition fee and living expense are still quite a burden to well-to-do families. Instead of JD, can't you do LLM instead?

Anyways, some people call Vanderbilt "haaarvard of the South" which is a joke to most people and, of course, most legal employers. Their employement data is shit, depsite its small class size and percieved fame as "harvard of the south". 30% of the 2012 graduates couldn't get long term and fulltime jobs that require JD.

Remember you are competing with a lot of rich American kids who most likely have a lot of ties in the area. You, as a foreigner, have a strong disadvantage in a southern city in terms of job seeking. Everyone likes uhh..which city Vanderbilt is located in again? You will compete with HYS and other t14 law students who wants to work in that city, even for mid-size firms. If you want to better shot at getting legal jobs, the best way to do so is to get a degree from a top10 school. Vanderbilt can do nothing for you as a foreigner.
Last edited by froglee on Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:10 pm

froglee wrote:
Remember you are competing with a lot of rich American kids who most likely have a lot of ties in the area. You, as a foreigner, have a strong disadvantage in a southern city in terms of job seeking. Everyone likes uhh..which city Vanderbilt is located in again? You will compete with HYS and other t14 law students who wants to work in that city, even for mid-size firms. If you want to better shot at getting legal jobs, the best way to do so is to get a degree from a top10 school. Vanderbilt can do nothing for you as a foreigner.
This might be true. Another element to consider is, if you spent $250,000 and struck out at OCI and had no job after graduation, your degree from Vandy would have little to no portability back to Europe. You would probably have to move to Nashville, apply for US citizenship, establish contacts, and then attend, but this could be a 5-7 year process (not worth it IMO). As I said, Vanderbilt is a feeder school for professionals with (strong) southern ties.

Someone with your credentials should be looking at Columbia and Harvard, so you can actually take the degree overseas if necessary.

No point in OP getting an LLM since he already has an international law degree and he his goal is practice law in the US (I would think?).

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:23 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tidymnstr

New

Post by tidymnstr » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:09 pm

You may have read this, but the people who went to ASW seemed to like it a lot!

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 8&t=204181

froglee

New

Post by froglee » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:07 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
froglee wrote:
No point in OP getting an LLM since he already has an international law degree and he his goal is practice law in the US (I would think?).
I could be wrong. But don't some foreigners who hold foreign law degrees come to US to get their LLM for the sake of practicing law in US?

I have friends who did their law degree out of US and got their LLM in US, but they are practicing in Hong Kong and China.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:10 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

froglee

New

Post by froglee » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:18 pm

tidymnstr wrote:You may have read this, but the people who went to ASW seemed to like it a lot!

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 8&t=204181
Found this quote from that thread: "The employment prospects seem to be on par with the T-14 sans HYS as do opportunities for clerkships".

However, I don't feel like ruining the exciting atmosphere on that thread with cold statistics right now.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:51 pm

listen to rad lulz, he is an expert

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:58 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:06 pm

rad lulz wrote: ty ty brother

UCI sucks
you've probably gotten this before rad lulz, but I love your avatar, depressing as it is.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:22 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
rad lulz wrote: ty ty brother

UCI sucks
you've probably gotten this before rad lulz, but I love your avatar, depressing as it is.
You're actually the first

Google "syrian child soldier" and there are a bunch of articles about the lil dood

edit: --LinkRemoved--

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”