Need to Pick Today

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

dat poll

Davis
54%
Utah
46%

Total votes: 71

Twehttam

Re: Need to Pick Today

Postby Twehttam » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:41 am

Logically, between the two, I'd say Utah.

However, a family member of mine lived in SLC for a year after living his whole life in the PacNW and had no itention of staying any longer than he did.

Fit is important and, if you have no itention of building ties in Utah, I'd say Davis or retake.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:41 am

Last edited by rad lulz on Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:42 am

rad lulz wrote:
cusenation wrote:
rad lulz wrote:I think it's a no brainer for Utah. No way I'd pay that much for Davis.

OP already has ties to Salt Lake City/Utah, so Davis could potentially open up more markets since OP already has a legitimate (but certainly not secure) claim to the Utah market. Is it worth paying that much more for a chance at the norcal/Sacramento market? Probably depends completely on OP's performance, which no one can confidently predict. But it looks like OP wants as many options as possible, i think it's worth the money. If he/she goes to Utah, it's very likely that they'll end up staying there. OP didn't seem particularly enthused about staying in Utah.

That's not really how it's gonna go down

You open up the opportunities in Cali sure

But you lose opportunities in Utah.

No one in Utah is gonna wet themselves over the Davis degree

I'm also guessing that 0 Utah firms OCI at Davis

Outside of OCI, small firms and local govt. are gonna look to Utah students when they want to hire.

You will see a pretty substantial portion of the hiring being done from a pool of former interns and law clerks.

Utah students get to do that stuff during the year. You won't if you go to Davis.

Take it from a 3L who went to a "preftigious regional" and looked for a job back home

I mean i can completely imagine how the situation could backfire as far as OP's Utah ties. But like I said in an earlier post, I voted davis because getting out of Utah seems to take precedence.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:43 am

Last edited by rad lulz on Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:43 am

cusenation wrote:I mean i can completely imagine how the situation could backfire as far as OP's Utah ties. But like I said in an earlier post, I voted davis because getting out of Utah seems to take precedence.

If he just wants to get out of Utah he should just move somewhere else and get a job

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:44 am

I wouldn't pay that much for Davis, personally. Or UW at sticker for that matter. That said, as a non-Mormon, I don't mind Utah nearly as much as you do or kappycaft1 does (it could be relative, since I used to live in the burbs and now live in downtown SLC), which is why I'm going to Utah. If you really cannot see yourself working in Utah--at the very least, for the first 5-10 years of your career--then you shouldn't go to Utah.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:53 am

rad lulz wrote:
cusenation wrote:I mean i can completely imagine how the situation could backfire as far as OP's Utah ties. But like I said in an earlier post, I voted davis because getting out of Utah seems to take precedence.

If he just wants to get out of Utah he should just move somewhere else and get a job

WisemanAEKDB wrote:So, I've officially decided I'm 100% attending law school next year.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:54 am

Last edited by rad lulz on Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pruufreadr

Postby pruufreadr » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:55 am

Voting against Utah. I also live here, and there is no way I want to deal with the stress of constantly being judged on my clothing, language outside of class, or dealing with all the females pursuing joint JD/MRS degrees. For the record, I know that all of the women attending the University of Utah aren't looking for husbands, but from my experience (and I'm old) they are usually treated as if they are.

Luckily, these are good arguments to my husband. Notsomuch for the MIL. I just told her that they are GPA-crazy over there and if they would even take me, I'd have to pay full sticker.

WisemanAEKDB

Postby WisemanAEKDB » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:56 am

ALSO, shit I don't know how I forgot this, but 3.35 GPA stipulation at Utah. 2.0 stipuation at Davis.

WisemanAEKDB

Postby WisemanAEKDB » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:57 am

Also, Davis just offered me a one time scholarship bump of $9,300 to cover OOS for the first year.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:58 am

WisemanAEKDB wrote:ALSO, shit I don't know how I forgot this, but 3.35 GPA stipulation at Utah. 2.0 stipuation at Davis.

Call the schools and ask where that is on the curve and how many students retain their scholarships

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:58 am

WisemanAEKDB wrote:Also, Davis just offered me a one time scholarship bump of $9,300 to cover OOS for the first year.

Not enough

WisemanAEKDB

Postby WisemanAEKDB » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:59 am

rad lulz wrote:
WisemanAEKDB wrote:ALSO, shit I don't know how I forgot this, but 3.35 GPA stipulation at Utah. 2.0 stipuation at Davis.

Call the schools and ask where that is on the curve and how many students retain their scholarships

--LinkRemoved--

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:59 am

rad lulz wrote:
cusenation wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

WisemanAEKDB wrote:So, I've officially decided I'm 100% attending law school next year.

rad lulz wrote:Let's assume OP wants to make a wise decision

I'm not disagreeing with you on that point. The wise thing would be for OP to re-take. A 3.8 GPA would be wasted on these schools.

ETA:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_la ... GPA_curves

Apparently they curve at a 3.38, unless this list isn't up to date
Last edited by DoveBodyWash on Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:00 pm

WisemanAEKDB wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

You try getting Utah to drop the stip?

qwertyboard

Postby qwertyboard » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:00 pm

I'm surprised a 8 people have chosen Davis. I voted for Utah because I felt 50k in debt (is it debt?... Im too lazy to go back and read ) wouldn't permanently ruin his life. Spending an extra 100k for a minor boost in CA is crazy.

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:00 pm

rad lulz wrote:You try getting Utah to drop the stip?

Utah's a dick about stips.

WisemanAEKDB

Postby WisemanAEKDB » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:01 pm

nickb285 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:You try getting Utah to drop the stip?

Utah's a dick about stips.

Yeah I asked probably 57 times and they do not play ball.

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:07 pm

I don't like Utah,

Then Utah is out.

While instate tuition is easy to obtain as a 2L, I vote for not going to LS. Too really bad choices.

qwertyboard

Postby qwertyboard » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:10 pm

The problem here is not the attitude that "I won't in the bottom 80% of the class and therefore I'll succeed". The problem here is what accompanies that idea. The DEBT! Don't go to either of these schools.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:14 pm

rad lulz wrote:

So much this.

Neither school give the OP anything close to a decent chance at getting the job they want. And then even if the OP was ok with small law Utah is out because they hate it and Davis is out because or lack of ties and it is way too expensive (not going to even mention UW).

So, the OP has two options: move somewhere else, get a job and forget about law school. Or, move somewhere else, get a job to establish some ties, and retake/reapply until they get into a school that gives them a reasonable shot of fulfilling their goals at a reasonable price.

Why are you so dead set on law school this year OP?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:18 pm

Look, its either go to Utah and learn to be content living in Utah, or don't go. Davis at 120k+ is a bad decision. Hell, 120k+ debt is on the high end of what I'd find acceptable for a school like WUSTL/UMN/ND with ties to the region, and they've got double the big firm placement and better job placement overall than Davis. There's just no way Davis at 120k+ with no ties is worth it.

WisemanAEKDB

Postby WisemanAEKDB » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:24 pm

BigZuck wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

So much this.

Neither school give the OP anything close to a decent chance at getting the job they want. And then even if the OP was ok with small law Utah is out because they hate it and Davis is out because or lack of ties and it is way too expensive (not going to even mention UW).

So, the OP has two options: move somewhere else, get a job and forget about law school. Or, move somewhere else, get a job to establish some ties, and retake/reapply until they get into a school that gives them a reasonable shot of fulfilling their goals at a reasonable price.

I'm deadset on school this year (after much consideration) because I really don't want to spend a year waiting tables in a city where I don't know a soul. Believe it or not, but this isn't the easiest thing in the entire world to do. I've been preparing for school for over a year now and I believe I am ready to succeed academically. I know it might be "foolish", but my job prospects currently fucking suck, and I don't believe I can possibly break into a new market (Seattle, Bay Area) simply by showing up and "looking for work".

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:29 pm

WisemanAEKDB wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

So much this.

I'm deadset on school this year (after much consideration) because I really don't want to spend a year waiting tables in a city where I don't know a soul. Believe it or not, but this isn't the easiest thing in the entire world to do. I've been preparing for school for over a year now and I believe I am ready to succeed academically. I know it might be "foolish", but my job prospects currently fucking suck, and I don't believe I can possibly break into a new market (Seattle, Bay Area) simply by showing up and "looking for work".

So how are you planning on breaking into a new market by going to law school there? There's a good chance you will end up unemployed with an onerous amount of debt coming out of Davis/UW, in part because a lack of ties. How is that not worse than your current situation?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”