Hofstra Vs. NY Law School

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which School

Hofstra
81%
New York Law School
19%

Total votes: 31

jbagelboy

Re: Hofstra Vs. NY Law School

Postby jbagelboy » Thu May 16, 2013 2:47 pm

LionelHutzJD wrote:
I will be taking out some serious loans for tuition but that's it. Parents are covering cost of living and I will milk everything i can out of them for books and daily living essentials.

you are very fortunate in this regard.

also I didn't realize the thread had switched to your law school decision lol

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Thu May 16, 2013 2:54 pm

LionelHutzJD wrote:I'm not doubting the accuracy of the number, i'm just saying it's absurd for anyone to pay full sticker at a private institution, as well as living in NYC/Long Island.

I will be taking out some serious loans for tuition but that's it. Parents are covering cost of living and I will milk everything i can out of them for books and daily living essentials.

So you're wasting your parents money. Sounds like a plan.

And taking out loans for tuition plus tuition increases plus interest will easily get you up over $160,000. Have fun paying that off with 8% interest per year on a $40,000 salary -- a salary you'll be lucky to get out of Hofstra with its 51% employment score.

Hofstra is a TTT, and an insanely expensive one at that. I wouldn't go there with a full ride.

LionelHutzJD

Postby LionelHutzJD » Thu May 16, 2013 3:01 pm

Yukos wrote:
LionelHutzJD wrote:I'm not doubting the accuracy of the number, i'm just saying it's absurd for anyone to pay full sticker at a private institution, as well as living in NYC/Long Island.

And taking out loans for tuition plus tuition increases plus interest will easily get you up over $160,000. Have fun paying that off with 8% interest per year on a $40,000 salary -- a salary you'll be lucky to get out of Hofstra with its 51% employment score.

Hofstra is a TTT, and an insanely expensive one at that. I wouldn't go there with a full ride.

I apologize I should have noted that I'm not attending Hofstra. I will be most likely attending albany with a 10k renewable scholly. I'm sure u will say the same things about albany though. Which I will then disagree with because despite its ranking albany has a lot going for it.

LionelHutzJD

Postby LionelHutzJD » Thu May 16, 2013 3:02 pm

And yes I have a strong family safety net and I am always grateful for that and the way I was raised. Even still, I'm excited about my opportunities at albany or St. John's.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Thu May 16, 2013 3:06 pm

Lionel, If your old post with your numbers is true (148/3.39), not retaking is a disastrous decision.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu May 16, 2013 3:10 pm

Its baffling and sad that there are thousands of Lionel Hutzes out there flooding these shitty schools every year throwing money at the cronies hand over fist.

bananapeanutbutter

Postby bananapeanutbutter » Thu May 16, 2013 3:13 pm

LionelHutzJD wrote:And yes I have a strong family safety net and I am always grateful for that and the way I was raised. Even still, I'm excited about my opportunities at albany or St. John's.

1 percent vs 40 percent are not the same thing. You're an idiot. Working for free doesn't mean your brother "made it."

When people say job prospects are bad because only 40 percent of top 14s get big law or clerkships, it doesn't mean that therefore schools with 1/400 are just as bad. There's no elitism. Almost no one at these top 14s are spoiled elitists. Working for free and showing off about it is elitist, because it shows you can have people support you your whole life. You're encouraging less spoiled kids to completely shoot themselves in the foot.
Last edited by bananapeanutbutter on Thu May 16, 2013 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu May 16, 2013 3:15 pm

ImNoScar wrote:

Lionel, If your old post with your numbers is true (148/3.39), not retaking is a disastrous decision.

wait what!?!?! is this for real?

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu May 16, 2013 3:15 pm

californiauser wrote:Your future if you attend either of these schools:

You'd be really surprised (stunned really) if you spent a few years on the NYC doc review "circuit." There are people from all kinds of good schools: NYU, Emory, Fordham, Columbia, Penn, etc. But mostly it's Brooklyn/St Johns/Cardozo/Seton Hall/Rutgers kids- I'd say about 70% are from those schools.

Kids from top, top schools usually make lousy coders. For example, I sat next to a guy on an O'Melveny project who I named "Dr. Smell-Good." He wore those Kenneth Cole dress boots that were popular about 8 years ago, but didn't wear socks with them. He'd take them off throughout the day and his feet smelled horrible. He was an NYU grad and got canned from a big firm in the downturn. He was literally boiling with rage at the doc review "lifestyle"- he didn't care for being berated all day and talked to like a 5 year old (which is how doc review just "is." For example, like 20 times a day there are "annoucements" and such and everyone has to move their chairs in a circle and "listen up." It's kinda like prison, but in a funny way. Once you've been on a few gigs you get used to the game and don't really notice anymore how downright sad and degrading this shit is.

Poor ole Dr. Smellgood wouldn't have any part of it. When he told me he went to NYU and I screamed out "you went to NYU are are working HERE? With us losers?" he said "don't say it so loud" and "i'm not a loser, I used to make six digits." I tried to help him get on the beam, but this guy was grinding his molars down to nubs he was so angry at all the typical BS, like having to sign out to use the bathroom and not having soda at your desk, etc. Also on Fridays the temp agency usually brings in free pizza, but one coder has to act as "pizza monitor" because things usually get out of hand with the free grub and all. There are rules like only one slice at a time and no "seconds" until everyone has had a slice. Also no "hoarding" slices for your friends who are out smoking or asleep at their desks, etc. Dr. Smellgood would bitch and moan that he felt it was like kindergarten, etc etc.

I got kinda scared he was gonna bring an AK-47 to work and take us all out in a rage. Luckily that case settled one day at like 10 am and we all got sent home- they even paid us until 12 noon, which is rare.

Another dude from Yale was called "fade out" because he would just kind of babble in this soft voice about random shit and look around to see if anyone was listening. He was big on JFK assasination trivia and crackpot theories and such- he would usually get canned pretty quick because he was just too far out to be a somewhat productive coder.

There was a really funny Asian chick from I think Cornell who I worked with at Lexolution, which is an agency with its own doc review workspace on 40th st. She brought like half her apartment to work: she had a coffemaker, all kinds of plates/mugs/cups, real silverware, little desk gadgets etc. Mind you that we sit at Bingo-hall type tables all packed one on top of each other, so your neighbor is like a cell mate.

So one day she shows up with this little electric space-heater to use under her desk. She plugs it into a power strip and BAM!- blows out the electric for the whole room! It was beyond awesome. The super for the building was stuck in NJ so we got paid to sit there all day in the dark and do basically nothing.

Is this an Areyouinsane alt?

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Thu May 16, 2013 3:16 pm

LionelHutzJD wrote:
Yukos wrote:

I apologize I should have noted that I'm not attending Hofstra. I will be most likely attending albany with a 10k renewable scholly. I'm sure u will say the same things about albany though. Which I will then disagree with because despite its ranking albany has a lot going for it.

As someone who spends a lot of time in Albany, no, it doesn't.

Also LOL at milking your parents for every last cent. Have some pride.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu May 16, 2013 3:22 pm

The troll: why are you guys feeding it again?

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Thu May 16, 2013 3:24 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:Lionel, If your old post with your numbers is true (148/3.39), not retaking is a disastrous decision.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=201347&p=6703754#p6703754

LionelHutzJD

Postby LionelHutzJD » Thu May 16, 2013 3:25 pm

BigZuck wrote:The troll: why are you guys feeding it again?

Nah it's ok. I'm going against conventional Tls wisdom and I'm vastly outnumbered. Work hard and you will all reach your dreams.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Thu May 16, 2013 3:26 pm

You're right. He claims to have different numbers throughout his posts.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=184755&p=5494248#p5494248
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=201347&p=6703754#p6703754

LionelHutzJD

Postby LionelHutzJD » Thu May 16, 2013 3:28 pm

ImNoScar wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:Lionel, If your old post with your numbers is true (148/3.39), not retaking is a disastrous decision.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=201347&p=6703754#p6703754[/quote

Lol wow. Pulling up my old posts. I truly hope you all do well at whatever school you attend. Imagine a Tls where a debt ridden grad can come on and seek advice rather than a bunch of Internet thugs saying "told ya so"

North

Postby North » Thu May 16, 2013 3:28 pm

LionelHutzJD wrote:

Nah it's ok. I'm going against conventional Tls wisdom and I'm vastly outnumbered. Work hard and you will all reach your dreams.

But fuck working hard on the LSAT, that's where you draw the line.

LionelHutzJD

Postby LionelHutzJD » Thu May 16, 2013 3:28 pm

THIS IS SPARTAAAAAAA

LionelHutzJD

Postby LionelHutzJD » Thu May 16, 2013 3:30 pm

1v100 bob saget in dis bytch

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Thu May 16, 2013 3:31 pm

LionelHutzJD wrote:
Actually, I haven't taken the LSAT yet. I'm using the 159 as a early predictor (haha?). But I am taking it in October and have begun my prep work along with a three month testmasters course coming up in July. I live in NYC and these are some of the schools i would like to have as safety schools.

That explains the different numbers.

RAWR

Postby RAWR » Thu May 16, 2013 3:33 pm

I'd like to sincerely thank LionelHutzJD for some seriously entertaining lunchtime reading. I hope your Mommy makes you brownies next year so it will "make sense" for you to go to Hofstra. Good luck (getting off the waiting list or infinite wait time to hear back from ADCOM) at CUNY.

More to the point, PLEASE PLEASE retake. If that's your cold score, you're doing yourself an IMMENSE disservice. You can do so much better! You can do it rah rah rah!

Eberry

Postby Eberry » Thu May 16, 2013 3:47 pm

LionelHutzJD wrote:Work hard and you will all reach your dreams.

What is this nonsense?

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Thu May 16, 2013 3:56 pm

Eberry wrote:

What is this nonsense?

Sounds like something a TTT dean tells prospective students at ASW.

LionelHutzJD

Postby LionelHutzJD » Thu May 16, 2013 3:57 pm

ImNoScar wrote:
Eberry wrote:

What is this nonsense?

Sounds like something a TTT dean tells prospective students at ASW.

Haha

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Thu May 16, 2013 4:10 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
californiauser wrote:areyouinsane

Is this an Areyouinsane alt?

No he just copy-pasta'd it. Should've attributed it though, bro.

Huey Freeman

Postby Huey Freeman » Thu May 16, 2013 4:16 pm

LionelHutzJD wrote: People have to enter law school and work their f***ing asses off and hopefully they know this from the jump.

If this is the case, why don't they also do that *before* law school and do well on the LSAT?

If you don't have the focus or intelligence to take the LSAT seriously, how do you expect to just flip a switch and kill your law school exams?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”