Hofstra Vs. NY Law School Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which School

Hofstra
81%
New York Law School
19%

Total votes: 31

LionelHutzJD

Silver

Re: Hofstra Vs. NY Law School

Post by LionelHutzJD » Tue May 14, 2013 8:31 pm

Hofstra. Do well and you'll land a job at a nice firm on long island.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue May 14, 2013 8:58 pm

One is a weak extremely regional law school, the other is just a bizarre building in downtown manhattan with chairs and a couple conference rooms in it

so I'd have to say hofstra

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Tue May 14, 2013 9:00 pm

LionelHutzJD wrote:Hofstra. Do well and you'll land a job at a nice firm on long island.
i had actually thought youd disappeared. please do that.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue May 14, 2013 10:10 pm

Dug the necro, led to me reading this thread. Loled. Thanks guys.

LionelHutzJD

Silver

Post by LionelHutzJD » Thu May 16, 2013 1:20 pm

stillwater wrote:
LionelHutzJD wrote:Hofstra. Do well and you'll land a job at a nice firm on long island.

Do you have a problem? My brother goes to Hofstra and is just doing just fine. He landed some sweet ass internships, met some awesome alumni, president of the sports law club,and is really pushing himself.

I really enjoy this site for the various discussions and I plan on using it during 1L and beyond for help with material, but omfg, the elitism on this site is off the f***ing chain. YOU DO NOT KNOW ME!!! HOW CAN YOU JUDGE MY FUTURE BASED OFF THE SCHOOL I GOT INTO??? You don't know my background, you don't know my interviewing techniques, you don't know my dedication. I don't care about you, or where you're headed, or even what school you go to. Quit being an internet thug and worry about yourself homeboy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

North

Gold

Post by North » Thu May 16, 2013 1:23 pm

LionelHutzJD wrote:
stillwater wrote:

Do you have a problem? My brother goes to Hofstra and is just doing just fine. He landed some sweet ass internships, met some awesome alumni, president of the sports law club,and is really pushing himself.

I really enjoy this site for the various discussions and I plan on using it during 1L and beyond for help with material, but omfg, the elitism on this site is off the f***ing chain. YOU DO NOT KNOW ME!!! HOW CAN YOU JUDGE MY FUTURE BASED OFF THE SCHOOL I GOT INTO??? You don't know my background, you don't know my interviewing techniques, you don't know my dedication. I don't care about you, or where you're headed, or even what school you go to. Quit being an internet thug and worry about yourself homeboy.
LOL.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu May 16, 2013 1:25 pm

Hofstra has objectively terrible job prospects.

Also, internships, meeting cool alumni, and being president of a club are hardly meaningful. I don't know your brother, maybe he's off to a great legal career for all I know. But nothing you just said is at all impressive or indicative of his future, or the quality of a Hofstra degree.

LionelHutzJD

Silver

Post by LionelHutzJD » Thu May 16, 2013 1:29 pm

romothesavior wrote:Hofstra has objectively terrible job prospects.

Also, internships, meeting cool alumni, and being president of a club are hardly meaningful. I don't know your brother, maybe he's off to a great legal career for all I know. But nothing you just said is at all impressive or indicative of his future, or the quality of a Hofstra degree.

I get that but the way the people on this site categorize law schools and the individuals that attend them is sick. It's a risk for everyone, job prospects are down across the board for all law schools.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu May 16, 2013 1:31 pm

LionelHutzJD wrote:
stillwater wrote:

Its not a personal judgment on you. Its an objective reality. People ask for advice, and it is given based on research and comparative experiences. No one cares who you are and no one judges you -- Id look to your own insecurity for the root of that complex -- but we can judge institutions on the merit of their programs, admissions, and employment opportunities

Dont tell people to go to hofstra

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LionelHutzJD

Silver

Post by LionelHutzJD » Thu May 16, 2013 1:38 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
LionelHutzJD wrote:
stillwater wrote:

Its not a personal judgment on you. Its an objective reality. People ask for advice, and it is given based on research and comparative experiences. No one cares who you are and no one judges you -- Id look to your own insecurity for the root of that complex -- but we can judge institutions on the merit of their programs, admissions, and employment opportunities

Dont tell people to go to hofstra

Ok but stillwater finds the need to attack me as if i don't belong in this community with everyone else. This punk should tell me this in person. Come to NYC bruh, i'll give you a tour of Hofstra.

The objective reality is brutally unfair. I KNOW LAW SCHOOL IS A RISK. But the dude came on this site looking for advice between these two schools. Trust me, I wish I could sit down with OP, in person, and then I can GIVE A TRUE ANSWER on whether or not he should attend Hofstra or no law school at all. Taking the objective "never attend hofstra" is just ludicrous. People have to enter law school and work their f***ing asses off and hopefully they know this from the jump.

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Thu May 16, 2013 1:38 pm

LionelHutzJD wrote:
HOW CAN YOU JUDGE MY FUTURE BASED OFF THE SCHOOL I GOT INTO???
lawschooltransparency.com

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Thu May 16, 2013 1:40 pm

LionelHutzJD wrote:But the dude came on this site looking for advice between these two schools. Trust me, I wish I could sit down with OP, in person, and then I can GIVE A TRUE ANSWER on whether or not he should attend Hofstra or no law school at all. Taking the objective "never attend hofstra" is just ludicrous. People have to enter law school and work their f***ing asses off and hopefully they know this from the jump.
Yes, OP came to ask between two schools. However, that implicitly presents four options: NYLS, Hoftra, retaking, or not going to law school. Hofstra is an objectively bad choice at this price. Employment data does a much better job of demonstrating that than a single anecdote.

LionelHutzJD

Silver

Post by LionelHutzJD » Thu May 16, 2013 1:41 pm

goldbh7 wrote:
LionelHutzJD wrote:

The stats suck for SO many law schools. We know this already. Move on.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Thu May 16, 2013 1:44 pm

LionelHutzJD wrote:
goldbh7 wrote:
LionelHutzJD wrote:

Which is why so few schools are worth paying significant amounts of money for. Hofstra is not one of them.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu May 16, 2013 1:54 pm

LionelHutzJD wrote:
goldbh7 wrote:
LionelHutzJD wrote:

so? the fact that other choices are inadvisable does not make the current choice objectively any better

LionelHutzJD

Silver

Post by LionelHutzJD » Thu May 16, 2013 1:58 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
LionelHutzJD wrote:
goldbh7 wrote:
LionelHutzJD wrote:

so? the fact that other choices are inadvisable does not make the current choice objectively any better
Right. But that's not my point. Pretty much what i'm trying to say is that not all TTT are TTT. Hofstra is very well known in NYC and if you do well (which I know takes a lot) you can come out looking pretty.

North

Gold

Post by North » Thu May 16, 2013 2:02 pm

LionelHutzJD wrote:Right. But that's not my point. Pretty much what i'm trying to say is that not all TTT are TTT. Hofstra is very well known in NYC and if you do well (which I know takes a lot) you can come out looking pretty.
Only 51% of Hofstra's most recent class got jobs as lawyers AT ALL. Only 4% got a job as a lawyer in BigLaw. Is that what you think "looking pretty" is?

This TTT is TTT.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

LionelHutzJD

Silver

Post by LionelHutzJD » Thu May 16, 2013 2:13 pm

North wrote:
LionelHutzJD wrote:Right. But that's not my point. Pretty much what i'm trying to say is that not all TTT are TTT. Hofstra is very well known in NYC and if you do well (which I know takes a lot) you can come out looking pretty.
Only 51% of Hofstra's most recent class got jobs as lawyers AT ALL. Only 4% got a job as a lawyer in BigLaw. Is that what you think "looking pretty" is?

This TTT is TTT.

I really don't think many people go to Hofstra with biglaw in mind.

North

Gold

Post by North » Thu May 16, 2013 2:23 pm

LionelHutzJD wrote:
North wrote:

This TTT is TTT.

Hard not to have BigLaw in mind when your school costs $258,777 at sticker. Is a lifetime of IBR debt payments on their 40k non-BigLaw salary what looks pretty for Hofstra grads?

LionelHutzJD

Silver

Post by LionelHutzJD » Thu May 16, 2013 2:26 pm

North wrote:
LionelHutzJD wrote:
North wrote:

This TTT is TTT.

Hard not to have BigLaw in mind when your school costs $258,777 at sticker. Is a lifetime of IBR debt payments on their 40k non-BigLaw salary what looks pretty for Hofstra grads?

That 258,000 is absurd. I'm sure its counting literally every expense possible. You would obviously be stupid as hell to take out loans for every expense including full sticker price.

North

Gold

Post by North » Thu May 16, 2013 2:29 pm

LionelHutzJD wrote:That 258,000 is absurd. I'm sure its counting literally every expense possible. You would obviously be stupid as hell to take out loans for every expense including full sticker price.
That's cost of living in Hempstead and tuition. What price do you think Hofstra would have to be for it to not be stupid as hell to go there? Be sure to include cost of living.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu May 16, 2013 2:29 pm

LionelHutzJD wrote:
North wrote: Hard not to have BigLaw in mind when your school costs $258,777 at sticker. Is a lifetime of IBR debt payments on their 40k non-BigLaw salary what looks pretty for Hofstra grads?

That 258,000 is absurd. I'm sure its counting literally every expense possible. You would obviously be stupid as hell to take out loans for every expense including full sticker price.
The majority of the figure is tuition + interest. you might save $5-7K a year on CoL and $2K or so on health insurance/books, but even in the most optimistic scenario its $230,000+ and that's living below the poverty line for 3 years.

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Thu May 16, 2013 2:32 pm

LionelHutzJD wrote: That 258,000 is absurd. I'm sure its counting literally every expense possible. You would obviously be stupid as hell to take out loans for every expense including full sticker price.
Actually, it's fairly accurate for anyone who doesn't get a scholarship and doesn't live at home, which is easily half the student body
He'll, even if you plan to live off beans and toast renting someone's closet and borriwing books from the library, it'll be over $200k

cwid1391

Bronze

Post by cwid1391 » Thu May 16, 2013 2:33 pm

It's the GPA, not the LSAT, that is going to hurt you in reapplying, though. The 156 can improve dramatically. Your best bet, as someone else said is to retake. Please don't go to these schools. Study for October and kill it, I bet if you can get a 165+ you'll have a few solid T1 choices and your chances are all that much greater if you have a top choice that you can ED at. Get a 170 and ED to lower T14. One of them will bite.

Edit: Realized after I posted that this thread had been necro'd.
Last edited by cwid1391 on Thu May 16, 2013 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LionelHutzJD

Silver

Post by LionelHutzJD » Thu May 16, 2013 2:35 pm

I'm not doubting the accuracy of the number, i'm just saying it's absurd for anyone to pay full sticker at a private institution, as well as living in NYC/Long Island.

I will be taking out some serious loans for tuition but that's it. Parents are covering cost of living and I will milk everything i can out of them for books and daily living essentials.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”