Help me decide!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which one would you go to?

Chicago $$
12%
Columbia $$
36%
Michigan (Darrow)
52%

Total votes: 42

MUNDO

Help me decide!

Postby MUNDO » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:47 pm

Hey guys,

I've been around for a long time and would really like some opinions for my situation. I've been trying to decide for quite a while and it's honestly going nowhere and the deadlines are approaching. So basically, I have:

Darrow to Michigan
Half to Chicago and Columbia.

I won't be taking out any federal/private loans as my parents are gifting me some money and loaning me the rest.

I visited all of them and don't really have strong feelings about any...
I'm also not sure what I want to do after law school. I've wanted to go to Columbia since the beginning of undergrad, but now I'm not so sure. I sound silly for saying this, but one of my biggest reasons for wanting to be in Michigan is because my boyfriend and I are both currently here, but he has another two years in grad school. I also have a dog that I'm not sure would do too well in New York/Chicago. My main questions are, would I be missing out if I go to Michigan? Are there advantages of Columbia/Chicago that I would be missing out on since I'm not that financially bound?

jbagelboy

Re: Help me decide!

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:05 am

I see some people voted Darrow. But you're essentially going to law school for free. Why would you take a michigan degree over a columbia one. I would say go visit CLS and Chicago, and unless you really don't like them, choose between and profit.

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:09 am

Half off at CC is a great deal. Darrow at Mich is a great deal. It sort of sounds like you just want to take the Darrow so you can be by your boyfriend, and there's nothing wrong with that. You're hurting your chances at Biglaw or a Federal Clerkship by going that route, but then again, you won't have much debt.

There's no wrong answer here. Do what makes you happiest.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:09 am

1) What are you end goals after law school?

2) Honestly, I wouldn't factor the boyfriend into the picture unless you two are SERIOUS.

3) Your dog could definitely do well in Chicago. Hyde Park definitely has enough green space for a dog. I'm not sure about the area around Columbia.

Tekrul

Postby Tekrul » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:32 am

Columbia is so close to morningside park that our undergrad gym expansion was originally going to be built there. That project was shut down by activists because we were blowing up a magical boulder placed there during the ice age. Your dog would do fine.

Could your relationship also do fine?

Half at CC and the rest loaned out by parents is not an opportunity you should dismiss given that YOLO.

untar614

Postby untar614 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:47 am

You really need to be thinking long term here. If you are pretty confident you two will be getting married, I can understand, but even then, ann arbor to chicago is a doable drive. And if there's potential he coyld folloe you afterward, then maybe you could deal with long distance for 2 years - if not, you likely won't be working in aa after, so that's another problem. Given your financial position I'd definitely take chicago or columbia depending on your career goals

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:35 am

Why are you going to law school? Because it seems like the answer is, "I don't know what I want to do, and I can."

We really need this question answered before we give you more advice.

MUNDO

Postby MUNDO » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:25 pm

I'm not really sure what my end goals are, just that I want to be happy with my job. I originally decided I wanted to go to law school to work on human trafficking issues, but since then I explored doing work in China (since I have the language skills), or maybe working at a firm (if I like it). I just want to go and explore some things I'm interested in and see what I like most.

MUNDO

Postby MUNDO » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:27 pm

Also, I guess we're serious but not SERIOUS :shock:

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:50 pm

MUNDO wrote:I'm not really sure what my end goals are, just that I want to be happy with my job. I originally decided I wanted to go to law school to work on human trafficking issues, but since then I explored doing work in China (since I have the language skills), or maybe working at a firm (if I like it). I just want to go and explore some things I'm interested in and see what I like most.

I'll let others lecture you on the dangers of going to law school with these goals. There will be two schools of thought here.

1) You don't know what you want to do therefore go to Michigan and don't take debt.
2) You probably need to go to Columbia to achieve your non firm interests or goals.

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:11 pm

MUNDO wrote:I'm not really sure what my end goals are, just that I want to be happy with my job. I originally decided I wanted to go to law school to work on human trafficking issues, but since then I explored doing work in China (since I have the language skills), or maybe working at a firm (if I like it). I just want to go and explore some things I'm interested in and see what I like most.

Basic question: Why do you want to be a lawyer?

I hate to say this, because you have some great options, but I don't think you should go to law school right now. You don't really seem to have any idea of what lawyers actually do or what the work will be like. Take a year off and go work in a firm to see what it's like before you commit 3 years (and $$$ in the case of CC) getting a law degree. Even great options are bad options for someone.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”