UCI Ranking prediction

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby Cobretti » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:57 am

Meepo wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
Meepo wrote:i went to a UC, most of their professors were part time profs from local community colleges, for example, uci and irvine valley college students received same quality of education, i also heard UCI Law profs were recruited from people's college of law in los angeles


this is total bullshit. IVC doesn't even offer a full courseload, and there is almost zero overlap in teaching b/t the two. totally different salary bracket as well. i doubt you attended a UC. you are just a troll. your "choosing an ls" thread is bullshit too I bet.

edit: looking through a few of Meepo's recent posts, he references UCI as being rank #92 from an "inside source at US News", and then a day later, quotes it as rank #76 from the same source. can't even troll consistently


i stand by #92 as i trust my source, #76 is what I personally believe where it should be though

I just gave you a +1 on another post about UCI... but you're clearly trolling here. If UCI isn't ranked as a T1 it will literally be a conspiracy by existing deans based on all of the data we have seen up until now.

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby Dr. Dre » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:02 am

Cobretti wrote:
Meepo wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
Meepo wrote:i went to a UC, most of their professors were part time profs from local community colleges, for example, uci and irvine valley college students received same quality of education, i also heard UCI Law profs were recruited from people's college of law in los angeles


this is total bullshit. IVC doesn't even offer a full courseload, and there is almost zero overlap in teaching b/t the two. totally different salary bracket as well. i doubt you attended a UC. you are just a troll. your "choosing an ls" thread is bullshit too I bet.

edit: looking through a few of Meepo's recent posts, he references UCI as being rank #92 from an "inside source at US News", and then a day later, quotes it as rank #76 from the same source. can't even troll consistently


i stand by #92 as i trust my source, #76 is what I personally believe where it should be though

I just gave you a +1 on another post about UCI... but you're clearly trolling here. If UCI isn't ranked as a T1 it will literally be a conspiracy by existing deans based on all of the data we have seen up until now.



you think anyone who is anti-UCI is trolling


get over yourself

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby Cobretti » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:08 am

Dr. Dre wrote:you think anyone who is anti-UCI is trolling


get over yourself

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=irvine
If you say they're outside of T50 you are trolling, would be happy to hear how you'd say this makes me arrogant though

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby Dr. Dre » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:12 am

Cobretti wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:you think anyone who is anti-UCI is trolling


get over yourself

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=irvine
If you say they're outside of T50 you are trolling, would be happy to hear how you'd say this makes me arrogant though




i believe youre trolling because you are basing your conclusion on a first year graduating class.

User avatar
052220151
Posts: 2421
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:58 am

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby 052220151 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:21 am

Dr. Dre wrote:
Cobretti wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:you think anyone who is anti-UCI is trolling


get over yourself

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=irvine
If you say they're outside of T50 you are trolling, would be happy to hear how you'd say this makes me arrogant though




i believe youre trolling because you are basing your conclusion on a first year graduating class.


The ranking doesn't really matter. It might debut high, but it will drop. It can't afford to continue funding schollys like hit has been. All of the people they lure from UCLA and USC will start to go back there, causing a drop in their LSAT/GPA medians. It is in an over-saturated market and won't be able to maintain these employment numbers. The first class there looks like they got a hell of a deal though.

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby Cobretti » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:22 am

Dr. Dre wrote:
Cobretti wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:you think anyone who is anti-UCI is trolling


get over yourself

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=irvine
If you say they're outside of T50 you are trolling, would be happy to hear how you'd say this makes me arrogant though




i believe youre trolling because you are basing your conclusion on a first year graduating class.

well at least you prefaced it with "i believe" to make anything you said subjective bullshit

User avatar
052220151
Posts: 2421
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:58 am

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby 052220151 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:27 am

Cobretti wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:
Cobretti wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:you think anyone who is anti-UCI is trolling


get over yourself

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=irvine
If you say they're outside of T50 you are trolling, would be happy to hear how you'd say this makes me arrogant though




i believe youre trolling because you are basing your conclusion on a first year graduating class.

well at least you prefaced it with "i believe" to make anything you said subjective bullshit


Dude. I just had to look you up. I was wondering who this new bro was with 2000+ posts. Welcome to anonymity bro.

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby Dr. Dre » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:27 am

Cobretti wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:
Cobretti wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:you think anyone who is anti-UCI is trolling


get over yourself

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=irvine
If you say they're outside of T50 you are trolling, would be happy to hear how you'd say this makes me arrogant though




i believe youre trolling because you are basing your conclusion on a first year graduating class.

well at least you prefaced it with "i believe" to make anything you said subjective bullshit



says the person with shitty data............lol

User avatar
jselson
Posts: 6337
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:51 am

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby jselson » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:39 am

jbagelboy wrote:
bee wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:this.

and UCI, as a whole institution, is not THAT prestigious at all, even in OC. Its med school is OK, its sciences/humanities are OK, PhD programs are MEDIOCRE, and the only thing going for it is the criminal justice/criminology program. And everyone on TLS knows criminology/criminal justice is a JOKE.

IDK why some people treat it as if it was Princeton creating a new law school.


i grew up in socal and know dozens of people who go to uci at the undergrad and grad level. uci is, at best, mediocre. at worst, it's TTT. it engenders 0 respect and is pretty much the dumping ground for people who couldn't get into ucla. the law school may be hyped up right now, but it will eventually settle back down amongst its siblings.

plus, the oc legal market is a joke and it's hard enough to get a job in l.a. coming out at the top of ucla/usc.


In general, these sentiments are credited.

However, the caliber of UCI students has increased over the past 10 years. it has some variety; superbly wealthy korean kids from irvine & newport, lower income vietnamese/latino students commuting from GG/fullerton/ect., and above-average white kids students who missed top 10% of their class in high schools from around southern california. Remember, getting into UCLA or Cal undergrad is a rigorous affair, so some of the "dumping ground" is actually pretty decent.

Lastly, what UCI lacks in student body is made up in part by amazing faculty. many of their departments have leading academics in their field because QOL is fucking unbeatable in irvine/newport. Étienne Balibar, arguably the leading french/francophone philosopher and political theorist of the late 20th century, taught at UCI for many years.


Bringing this back up, but I took a seminar with Balibar, and the guy is bonkers and amazing. A weird, great class. One of the reasons I decided to switch out of my program and do law school, strangely enough.

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby 071816 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:05 am

FUCK CHEMERINSKY

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby Nova » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:10 am

chimp wrote:FUCK CHEMERINSKY

I should have read his supp for con law :x

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby Dr. Dre » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:12 am

chimp wrote:FUCK CHEMERINSKY


+1

hamsterdam
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:24 pm

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby hamsterdam » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:35 am

my worry isn't that UCI will start off ranked well then fall off, but rather that it could start off ranked poorly and never recover. I ran these numbers to try to gauge where it's likely to be ranked right off the bat. And given my calculations, I see it as very unlikely that UCI starts off ranked lower than 35 and pretty likely that it's in the top 25.

Institutional prestige definitely matters, but if you look at the law school rankings vs. undergrad and grad rankings, it's not the only determinant. UVA and Michigan are ranked well above many law schools that belong to more or equally prestigious overall institutions (Northwestern, WUSTL, UCLA) and Alabama has consistently been ranked well as a law school but has a terrible undergrad program. I'm not saying that UCI won't be somewhat handicapped when compared to more prestigious competitors like UCLA and USC, because it surely will, but it's not inconceivable that UCI Law could be ranked well, and continue to be ranked well, even if the overall institution is only mediocre as others have suggested.

But mainly, I wanted to get people's feedback on my numbers for UCI and it seems most people bashing UCI are basically ignoring the spreadsheet I made, which was the point of the thread.

User avatar
Meepo
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:02 pm

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby Meepo » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:02 pm

hamsterdam wrote:my worry isn't that UCI will start off ranked well then fall off, but rather that it could start off ranked poorly and never recover. I ran these numbers to try to gauge where it's likely to be ranked right off the bat. And given my calculations, I see it as very unlikely that UCI starts off ranked lower than 35 and pretty likely that it's in the top 25.

Institutional prestige definitely matters, but if you look at the law school rankings vs. undergrad and grad rankings, it's not the only determinant. UVA and Michigan are ranked well above many law schools that belong to more or equally prestigious overall institutions (Northwestern, WUSTL, UCLA) and Alabama has consistently been ranked well as a law school but has a terrible undergrad program. I'm not saying that UCI won't be somewhat handicapped when compared to more prestigious competitors like UCLA and USC, because it surely will, but it's not inconceivable that UCI Law could be ranked well, and continue to be ranked well, even if the overall institution is only mediocre as others have suggested.

But mainly, I wanted to get people's feedback on my numbers for UCI and it seems most people bashing UCI are basically ignoring the spreadsheet I made, which was the point of the thread.


UCI will be lucky to be top 100, what more do you want?

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3402
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby ManoftheHour » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:02 pm

bee wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:^ that


it surprises me some people TLS actually laude UCI law.

it's probably because of the name brand faculty and the "uc" bit. people who aren't from california always think that uc schools are good, but in reality, besides cal, ucla, ucsd for select fields, and ucsf for medicine, they range from mediocre to a terrible waste of money.


Agreed. UCI/Davis/Santa Cruz/SB/Merced/Riverside are TTT undergrad institutions. I would know. I went to one and transferred out.

User avatar
unclepete
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:54 pm

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby unclepete » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:23 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
bee wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:^ that


it surprises me some people TLS actually laude UCI law.

it's probably because of the name brand faculty and the "uc" bit. people who aren't from california always think that uc schools are good, but in reality, besides cal, ucla, ucsd for select fields, and ucsf for medicine, they range from mediocre to a terrible waste of money.


Agreed. UCI/Davis/Santa Cruz/SB/Merced/Riverside are TTT undergrad institutions. I would know. I went to one and transferred out.


That's ridiculous. You attending Merced for a semester says nothing about the credentials of the university. UCD and UCI are nowhere close to as bad as Merced/Riverside. They don't even belong in the same category.

Visually: UCD->UCI--->UCSB---->UCSC----------------------------->Riverside-------------------------->Merced

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3402
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby ManoftheHour » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:17 pm

Went to UCI for six quarters. Almost nobody at UCD/UCI/UCSB had these institutions as his/her number one choice. Trust me. There was a common joke about these tier 2 UCs. On campus, you can tell which school a UCI/UCD student wanted to go to but got rejected from based on the hoodie he/she was wearing. So many UCLA/USC hoodies at UCI and so many Cal/Stanford hoodies at UCD.

Is there really a difference between any of them? As far as this is all concerned, for UCs, if it's not UCLA/Cal, it's TTT. Not saying you can't learn anything or have a good time there. I had a hell of a time at UCI. But I'm not going to pretend it was prestigious just because it was better than Riverside/Merced.

User avatar
unclepete
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:54 pm

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby unclepete » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:20 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:Went to UCI for six quarters. Almost nobody at UCD/UCI/UCSB had these institutions as his/her number one choice. Trust me. There was a common joke about these tier 2 UCs. On campus, you can tell which school a UCI/UCD student wanted to go to but got rejected from based on the hoodie he/she was wearing. So many UCLA/USC hoodies at UCI and so many Cal/Stanford hoodies at UCD.

Is there really a difference between any of them? As far as this is all concerned, for UCs, if it's not UCLA/Cal, it's TTT. Not saying you can't learn anything or have a good time there. I had a hell of a time at UCI. But I'm not going to pretend it was prestigious just because it was better than Riverside/Merced.


Ha. The hoodie thing is actually pretty funny.

UCSD is very well regarded.

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby Dr. Dre » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:38 pm

unclepete wrote:UCSD is very well regarded.


no

User avatar
unclepete
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:54 pm

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby unclepete » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:39 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
unclepete wrote:UCSD is very well regarded.


no


yes.

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby Dr. Dre » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:40 pm

unclepete wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:
unclepete wrote:UCSD is very well regarded.


no


yes.


nah uh

User avatar
Dmini7
Posts: 725
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:20 pm

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby Dmini7 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:41 pm

unclepete wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:
unclepete wrote:UCSD is very well regarded.


no


yes.



I would consider UCSD a middle ground between the UCLA and the UCI/UCD/UCSB.

User avatar
unclepete
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:54 pm

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby unclepete » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:44 pm

Dmini7 wrote:
unclepete wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:
unclepete wrote:UCSD is very well regarded.


no


yes.



I would consider UCSD a middle ground between the UCLA and the UCI/UCD/UCSB.


I agree. I didn't say it was better than Cal/LA. But to say all UCs outside of those two are TTTT is absurd. Especially if you want to live in SD (which a lot of damn people do)

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3402
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby ManoftheHour » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:59 pm

unclepete wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:Went to UCI for six quarters. Almost nobody at UCD/UCI/UCSB had these institutions as his/her number one choice. Trust me. There was a common joke about these tier 2 UCs. On campus, you can tell which school a UCI/UCD student wanted to go to but got rejected from based on the hoodie he/she was wearing. So many UCLA/USC hoodies at UCI and so many Cal/Stanford hoodies at UCD.

Is there really a difference between any of them? As far as this is all concerned, for UCs, if it's not UCLA/Cal, it's TTT. Not saying you can't learn anything or have a good time there. I had a hell of a time at UCI. But I'm not going to pretend it was prestigious just because it was better than Riverside/Merced.


Ha. The hoodie thing is actually pretty funny.

UCSD is very well regarded.


In your defense, UCSD is seen as acceptable. I do actually know people that declined UCLA/USC for SD because of the location. I cannot say the same thing about Irvine/Davis. I must say, the campus is beautiful. It's not like it's in boring richville USA Irvine filled with old people or the shithole middle of nowhere cow county that Davis is in.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9641
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:05 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
unclepete wrote:
UCSD is very well regarded.


In your defense, UCSD is seen as acceptable. I do actually know people that declined UCLA/USC for SD because of the location. I cannot say the same thing about Irvine/Davis. I must say, the campus is beautiful. It's not like it's in boring richville USA Irvine filled with old people or the shithole middle of nowhere cow county that Davis is in.



UCSD Medical School is extremely prestigious & considered among the best in the nation, a "T14" of med schools, you might say.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 12481632, BigZuck, BruiseWillis, Leliana, lymenheimer and 6 guests