UCI Ranking prediction

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9645
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:39 pm

gitguy wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:wow this thread has moved rapidly off-topic. Anyways, I will just like to summarize the main points:


1. UCI law school sucks, so people should not go there
2. UCI overall is not a prestigious institution
3. Having one "known" faculty member at your school means shit


F. Sherwood Roland. Essentially laid the theory for depletion of the ozone layer while at UCI. One of three nobel laureates from UCI. Since you guys put so much stock in US News to begin with, it is important to note that they rank UCI as #44 out of over 600 undergrad schools in the U.S. I don't think that indicates mid-tier status.


Thank you. Felt alone out here

062914123
Posts: 1846
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:11 pm

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby 062914123 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:39 pm

.
Last edited by 062914123 on Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9645
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:01 pm

bee wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:Come on, you used a comparison in lay prestige between your undergrad and UCI to justify a slant to a world renowned prof. Im sure you're smart -- Even for the internet, you know thats low. And this is coming from a top 5 private college UG here plenty used to intellectually overentitled undergrads.

Cultural Marxism irrelevant? Where are my crit theorists at? Jesus. Clearly too many finance majors on tls

Dre, i agree with you on broad strokes. I was trying to point out other characteristics of irvine as a university. And btw irvine has good faculty everywhere, never claimed 1 known scholar made a university

ok this is definitely way too many off topic posts for this thread, so i'll stop after this. feel free to respond to me via pm if you want to continue this argument.

JFC.
1. like it or not, not everyone is going to feel the exact same way about every philosopher. you may have a boner for balibar, but that doesn't mean everyone does. shocker--this group may include legitimate and respected university professors, some of which i had in UG.
2. it wasn't lay prestige--the world of philosophy is so fucking snobby and elitist you'd have to be insane to suggest that there isn't an internal hierarchy of reputable schools. the school i went to, which i will freely disclose if you want to pm me, happens to be a better school for philosophy than uci. it is an accepted fact. you aren't going to find a lot of scholars who think that uci is a great school for philosophy in the first place.
3. academic philosophy is largely irrelevant. i know it hurts your pride. it hurts mine too, every time i look at my useless (if fancy) degree. the fact is that 99% of college graduates will not know who balibar is. that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with them.


PM'd. I think "not feeling the same way" about a scholar is different from dismissing their contribution as "unremarkable". I feel that you meant the former but expressed the later. I don't think UCI has a particularly prestigious department in philosophy, but it has stronger faculty in some areas than its student medians would indicate -- this was all I ever intended to express. I'm sorry if I made anyone squirmish.

linquest
Posts: 143
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:06 am

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby linquest » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:22 pm

Bee wrote:people who aren't from california always think that uc schools are good


Dr. Dre wrote:actually it's the other way around.

People from california regard the UC's as equivalent to ivies.

People from the midwest & east coast don't give a shit about the UC's


As always, the truth is somewhere in the middle. Most Californians know the UCs vary widely in quality. You'd be hard-pressed to find anyone from California that believes UC Merced, Santa Cruz, or Riverside are Ivy-equivalents. More on point, I went to an Ivy for undergrad and my siblings went to Cal and Irvine. Nobody back home in CA considers the one that went to Irvine as having had a similar education. UCI was more of a commuter college until, say, 20-30 years ago.

Not everyone from the midwest & east coast (and yes, I've lived in both regions) thinks all the UCs are good either, though Berkeley is pretty well-recognized. Most don't actually know how many UC campuses there actually are. The bias towards private schools is also much more prevalent on the East Coast. As far as the East Coast private school snobs are concerned, the only CA schools worth attending are Stanford and CalTech.

dissonance1848
Posts: 706
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:42 pm

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby dissonance1848 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:36 pm

As far as the East Coast private school snobs are concerned, the only CA schools worth attending are Stanford and CalTech


For once I agree with pretentious rich white assholes.

Except Pomona, the rich assholes forgot Pomona.

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby Rahviveh » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:43 pm

linquest wrote:
Bee wrote:people who aren't from california always think that uc schools are good


Dr. Dre wrote:actually it's the other way around.

People from california regard the UC's as equivalent to ivies.

People from the midwest & east coast don't give a shit about the UC's


As always, the truth is somewhere in the middle. Most Californians know the UCs vary widely in quality. You'd be hard-pressed to find anyone from California that believes UC Merced, Santa Cruz, or Riverside are Ivy-equivalents. More on point, I went to an Ivy for undergrad and my siblings went to Cal and Irvine. Nobody back home in CA considers the one that went to Irvine as having had a similar education. UCI was more of a commuter college until, say, 20-30 years ago.

Not everyone from the midwest & east coast (and yes, I've lived in both regions) thinks all the UCs are good either, though Berkeley is pretty well-recognized. Most don't actually know how many UC campuses there actually are. The bias towards private schools is also much more prevalent on the East Coast. As far as the East Coast private school snobs are concerned, the only CA schools worth attending are Stanford and CalTech.

I don't think even UCLA is considered an Ivy equivalent out here. Dre is exagerrating

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby Cobretti » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:49 pm

dissonance1848 wrote:
As far as the East Coast private school snobs are concerned, the only CA schools worth attending are Stanford and CalTech


For once I agree with pretentious rich white assholes.

Except Pomona, the rich assholes forgot Pomona.

lol@pomona

are you serious? not even SLO, but pomona?

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9645
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:51 pm

Cobretti wrote:
dissonance1848 wrote:
As far as the East Coast private school snobs are concerned, the only CA schools worth attending are Stanford and CalTech


For once I agree with pretentious rich white assholes.

Except Pomona, the rich assholes forgot Pomona.

lol@pomona

are you serious? not even SLO, but pomona?



dissonance meant Pomona College, #4 lib arts college in the country, #9 forbes best school overall in the country, not cal poly pomona. Come on.

and I doubt the rich assholes entirely forgot pomona, since many, many of them sent their kids there. its half preppy east coasters. also pomona > amherst

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby Cobretti » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:55 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Cobretti wrote:
dissonance1848 wrote:
As far as the East Coast private school snobs are concerned, the only CA schools worth attending are Stanford and CalTech


For once I agree with pretentious rich white assholes.

Except Pomona, the rich assholes forgot Pomona.

lol@pomona

are you serious? not even SLO, but pomona?



dissonance meant Pomona College, #4 lib arts college in the country, #9 forbes best school overall in the country, not cal poly pomona. Come on.

and I doubt the rich assholes entirely forgot pomona, since many, many of them sent their kids there. its half preppy east coasters. also pomona > amherst

Grew up in CA and I have never heard of pomona college, I don't even understand how a school ranked like that isn't more popular in CA

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9645
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:58 pm

Cobretti wrote:Grew up in CA and I have never heard of pomona college, I don't even understand how a school ranked like that isn't more popular in CA


:(

I guess you were not interested in small prestigious private colleges

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby Cobretti » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:00 am

jbagelboy wrote:
Cobretti wrote:Grew up in CA and I have never heard of pomona college, I don't even understand how a school ranked like that isn't more popular in CA


:(

I guess you were not interested in small prestigious private colleges

didn't learn the thrills of prestige whoring until i discovered TLS

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby Dr. Dre » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:00 am

Popularity does not equate to educational quality or prestige

062914123
Posts: 1846
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:11 pm

.

Postby 062914123 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:18 am

.
Last edited by 062914123 on Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
06102016
Posts: 13466
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:29 pm

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby 06102016 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:52 am

..

User avatar
Meepo
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:02 pm

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby Meepo » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:01 am

slack_academic wrote:I went to a UC. It was a pretty decent experience.


i went to a UC, most of their professors were part time profs from local community colleges, for example, uci and irvine valley college students received same quality of education, i also heard UCI Law profs were recruited from people's college of law in los angeles

User avatar
06102016
Posts: 13466
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:29 pm

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby 06102016 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:10 am

..

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby Dr. Dre » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:30 am

I think the point is that UC education is going in a downward spiral.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9645
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:41 am

Meepo wrote:i went to a UC, most of their professors were part time profs from local community colleges, for example, uci and irvine valley college students received same quality of education, i also heard UCI Law profs were recruited from people's college of law in los angeles


this is total bullshit. IVC doesn't even offer a full courseload, and there is almost zero overlap in teaching b/t the two. totally different salary bracket as well. i doubt you attended a UC. you are just a troll. your "choosing an ls" thread is bullshit too I bet.

edit: looking through a few of Meepo's recent posts, he references UCI as being rank #92 from an "inside source at US News", and then a day later, quotes it as rank #76 from the same source. can't even troll consistently
Last edited by jbagelboy on Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
99.9luft
Posts: 1244
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby 99.9luft » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:43 am

this thread sucks.

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby Dr. Dre » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:44 am

99.9luft wrote:this thread sucks.



because it's about UCI

062914123
Posts: 1846
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:11 pm

.

Postby 062914123 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:45 am

.
Last edited by 062914123 on Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
99.9luft
Posts: 1244
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby 99.9luft » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:59 am

bee wrote:
99.9luft wrote:this thread sucks.

are you a butthurt uci 0l? i imagine that would definitely make this thread suck for you.


:lol: no, the thread sucks because most of the posts ITT are incorrect, cringe-worthy, uninformative bunch of horseshit. Thanks for contributing to that. What makes you think that I am butt-hurt? Regardless of what LS I end up and where UCI ranks in 2015, the inane conversation by the same group of miserable posters isn't contributing to the presumptively helpful atmosphere of a non-lounge topic.

This isn't about UCI or rankings, actually. If it weren't for the same dbags acting like trolls and clowns, I (and many other posters) would love to participate in a predictions topic, containing opinions, random data interpretations, but lacking the powerful idiocy of some of the serial UCI haters.

This is more about how some of you can enjoy posting total horseshit and then bond over it? Does being so negative make you feel better? I feel genuinely sorry for many of you.

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby Dr. Dre » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:02 am

lol at the UCI enthusiasts

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9645
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:25 am

99.9luft wrote: :lol: no, the thread sucks because most of the posts ITT are incorrect, cringe-worthy, uninformative bunch of horseshit. Thanks for contributing to that. What makes you think that I am butt-hurt? Regardless of what LS I end up and where UCI ranks in 2015, the inane conversation by the same group of miserable posters isn't contributing to the presumptively helpful atmosphere of a non-lounge topic.

This isn't about UCI or rankings, actually. If it weren't for the same dbags acting like trolls and clowns, I (and many other posters) would love to participate in a predictions topic, containing opinions, random data interpretations, but lacking the powerful idiocy of some of the serial UCI haters.

This is more about how some of you can enjoy posting total horseshit and then bond over it? Does being so negative make you feel better? I feel genuinely sorry for many of you.


Not everyone is speaking entirely out of their ass. just the trolls w fake accounts

User avatar
Meepo
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:02 pm

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby Meepo » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:50 am

jbagelboy wrote:
Meepo wrote:i went to a UC, most of their professors were part time profs from local community colleges, for example, uci and irvine valley college students received same quality of education, i also heard UCI Law profs were recruited from people's college of law in los angeles


this is total bullshit. IVC doesn't even offer a full courseload, and there is almost zero overlap in teaching b/t the two. totally different salary bracket as well. i doubt you attended a UC. you are just a troll. your "choosing an ls" thread is bullshit too I bet.

edit: looking through a few of Meepo's recent posts, he references UCI as being rank #92 from an "inside source at US News", and then a day later, quotes it as rank #76 from the same source. can't even troll consistently


i stand by #92 as i trust my source, #76 is what I personally believe where it should be though




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cavalier1138, midwestkid06, Socratease and 5 guests