UCI Ranking prediction

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby Dr. Dre » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:55 pm

slack_academic wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:the faculty at UCSD are only worth getting taught at if you're a graduate student

Or you could load up on seminar courses and commit to getting to know them.



that COULD work, but truth is, they can give a shit about the undergradz


and I like how you are comparing USD's poli sci faculty with UCSD's.


Why? because USD poli sci just gives out BA's (with one MA program) where UCSD has a full PhD program...which, frankly, is not good

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby Dr. Dre » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:56 pm

zman wrote:UCSD is TOP notch in almost anything especially at graduate level.



ONLY its medical school and engineering school are good

User avatar
06102016
Posts: 13466
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:29 pm

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby 06102016 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:57 pm

..

zman
Posts: 500
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:31 am

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby zman » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:57 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
slack_academic wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:the faculty at UCSD are only worth getting taught at if you're a graduate student

Or you could load up on seminar courses and commit to getting to know them.



that COULD work, but truth is, they can give a shit about the undergradz


and I like how you are comparing USD's poli sci faculty with UCSD's.


Why? because USD poli sci just gives out BA's (with one MA program) where UCSD has a full PhD program...which, frankly, is not good


UCSD PhD program is very good.. that's the biggest strength of the UC system.. THe phD programs.

zman
Posts: 500
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:31 am

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby zman » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:01 pm

slack_academic wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:Why? because USD poli sci just gives out BA's (with one MA program) where UCSD has a full PhD program...which, frankly, is not good


k


I wouldn't go that for.. some of the top faculty at UCSD like Mckubbins are gone but it has not showed up on rankings yet but it will. only law schools give a damn about US news, other have alternative ways to judge quality.

User avatar
FKASunny
Posts: 3904
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:40 am

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby FKASunny » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:04 pm

slack_academic wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:USD gives way better scholarship/financial aid to students...

Go ahead and provide some proof for this.

I don't know about USD specifically, but I know a lot of fellow poor students in UG who got WAY better need-based aid at private schools than I did at my public school. It seems to be the norm for state schools to rely heavily on getting students federal aid and then extending loans for the rest, whereas a lot of private UGs subsidize tuition for poor students in a way similar to how law school subsidize tuition for merit scholarships.

zman
Posts: 500
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:31 am

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby zman » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:12 pm

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) wrote:
slack_academic wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:USD gives way better scholarship/financial aid to students...

Go ahead and provide some proof for this.

I don't know about USD specifically, but I know a lot of fellow poor students in UG who got WAY better need-based aid at private schools than I did at my public school. It seems to be the norm for state schools to rely heavily on getting students federal aid and then extending loans for the rest, whereas a lot of private UGs subsidize tuition for poor students in a way similar to how law school subsidize tuition for merit scholarships.


yeah except in undergrads the rich subsidize the poor and it law schools it's the other way around. Poor usually subsidize the rich.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9651
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:14 pm

Dre, I dont disagree with your reasoning, I just think your list is questionable. If you want an accurat rankingthat privileges UG salaries, use forbes.

http://www.forbes.com/top-colleges/list/

For cali, still all private:

1) stanford
2) pomona
3) caltech
4) claremont mckenna
5) mudd

Santa clara, USD, ect. are not in the same league.

Closest public is uCLA @ 45.

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby Dr. Dre » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:17 pm

jbagelboy wrote:http://www.forbes.com/top-colleges/list/

For cali, still all private:

1) stanford
2) pomona
3) caltech
4) claremont mckenna
5) mudd




Forbes ranking is NOT based on UG salaries

Payscale's is

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby Dr. Dre » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:18 pm

This thread has gotten wayy off topic. So i'll bring it back.


UCI LAWL school is going to rank in TTT territory.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9651
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:21 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:http://www.forbes.com/top-colleges/list/

For cali, still all private:

1) stanford
2) pomona
3) caltech
4) claremont mckenna
5) mudd




Forbes ranking is NOT based on UG salaries

Payscale's is


False.

Read forbes methodology. Its based largely on career prospects by salary & security

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby Dr. Dre » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:25 pm

The rankings I posted are better because they are PURELY on salaries.

and FORBES does not base their rankings "LARGELY" on salaries... it is "post graduate success" which is (32.5%)...and that is very, very, very, berry, very, very, strawberry, very, very ambiguous

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby Dr. Dre » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:37 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:This thread has gotten wayy off topic. So i'll bring it back.


UCI LAWL school is going to rank in TTT territory.

zman
Posts: 500
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:31 am

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby zman » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:39 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:This thread has gotten wayy off topic. So i'll bring it back.


UCI LAWL school is going to rank in TTT territory.



ok back on topic.. why do you have an account for the sole reason of bashing UC Irvine law school?? ahaha you never answered us..

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby Dr. Dre » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:41 pm

my account is more than just anti-UCI

it just so happens that it takes more of my posts.

User avatar
gitguy
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:01 pm

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby gitguy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:56 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:This thread has gotten wayy off topic. So i'll bring it back.


UCI LAWL school is going to rank in TTT territory.


Wait, so will it be TTTT or TTT? Is Dr. Dre warming to UCI??

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby Dr. Dre » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:58 pm

gitguy wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:This thread has gotten wayy off topic. So i'll bring it back.


UCI LAWL school is going to rank in TTT territory.


Wait, so will it be TTTT or TTT? Is Dr. Dre warming to UCI??




sorry for my ambiguity.


currently it sits at TTTT, but it will soon bump up to TTT.


and that is being very generous.


EDIT: gitguy, don't go to uci

User avatar
gitguy
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:01 pm

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby gitguy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:40 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
gitguy wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:This thread has gotten wayy off topic. So i'll bring it back.


UCI LAWL school is going to rank in TTT territory.


Wait, so will it be TTTT or TTT? Is Dr. Dre warming to UCI??




sorry for my ambiguity.


currently it sits at TTTT, but it will soon bump up to TTT.


and that is being very generous.


EDIT: gitguy, don't go to uci


I got a deferral. I'm going to go, but I'm retaking for leverage. Sorry to disappoint.

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby Dr. Dre » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:41 pm

gitguy wrote: Sorry to disappoint.



:roll:

User avatar
FKASunny
Posts: 3904
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:40 am

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby FKASunny » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:06 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
gitguy wrote: Sorry to disappoint.



:roll:

He'll change his mind next March after the new rankings come out.

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby Dr. Dre » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:07 pm

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:
gitguy wrote: Sorry to disappoint.



:roll:

He'll change his mind next March after the new rankings come out.



I'll be :lol: at all the uci enthusiasts

User avatar
gitguy
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:01 pm

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby gitguy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:12 pm

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:
gitguy wrote: Sorry to disappoint.



:roll:

He'll change his mind next March after the new rankings come out.


My understanding is rank will be based on next incoming class. So rank will come out 2015. Please correct if I'm wrong.

User avatar
gitguy
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:01 pm

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby gitguy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:40 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:This thread has gotten wayy off topic. So i'll bring it back.


UCI LAWL school is going to rank in TTT territory.


I've been thinking, since Dr. Dre is so well qualified to make sweeping predictions about the ranking of each school, the rest of us might be well served by him having his own show. Perhaps he plays the role of a Simon Cowell in judging prestige and quality among competing schools. I call it: The Smug Factor

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby Dr. Dre » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:48 pm

The Smug Factor?


I like it. I'll bring my homie — Slim Shady

Image

fredmerz
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:57 pm

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Postby fredmerz » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:29 pm

As someone who seriously considered UCI, I think it is an absolutely brilliant program. Anyone going there will know the drawbacks (lack of an alumni network, a dull campus in a dull town) but having access to that kind of faculty is a wonderful opportunity. If they can keep it up I'd guess they'd be top 40 but who knows and, quite frankly, who cares. If you're seriously considering it after having visited and spoken with Chem, etc., I think you should have an appreciation of the what you can do there and after and whether or not it's the school for you.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], hwwong and 4 guests