UCI Ranking prediction Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
lawschoolsoldier

New

Re: UCI Ranking prediction

Post by lawschoolsoldier » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:48 pm

fredmerz wrote:As someone who seriously considered UCI, I think it is an absolutely brilliant program. Anyone going there will know the drawbacks (lack of an alumni network, a dull campus in a dull town) but having access to that kind of faculty is a wonderful opportunity. If they can keep it up I'd guess they'd be top 40 but who knows and, quite frankly, who cares. If you're seriously considering it after having visited and spoken with Chem, etc., I think you should have an appreciation of the what you can do there and after and whether or not it's the school for you.
there is nothing special about their faculty compared to other T-20 schools. That's not good enough of a reason to go there.

LiquidJames

New

Post by LiquidJames » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:41 am

lawschoolsoldier wrote:
fredmerz wrote:As someone who seriously considered UCI, I think it is an absolutely brilliant program. Anyone going there will know the drawbacks (lack of an alumni network, a dull campus in a dull town) but having access to that kind of faculty is a wonderful opportunity. If they can keep it up I'd guess they'd be top 40 but who knows and, quite frankly, who cares. If you're seriously considering it after having visited and spoken with Chem, etc., I think you should have an appreciation of the what you can do there and after and whether or not it's the school for you.
there is nothing special about their faculty compared to other T-20 schools. That's not good enough of a reason to go there.
their academic influence was ranked no.11 in the nation i believe, although that doesn't make the school any good, i still think it will be one of the worst schools in orange county

Dmini7

Silver

Post by Dmini7 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:01 am

LiquidJames wrote:
lawschoolsoldier wrote:
their academic influence was ranked no.11 in the nation i believe, although that doesn't make the school any good, i still think it will be one of the worst schools in orange county
considering the only other law school in Orange County is Chapman... I would have to say your statement is incorrect. Assuming you mean in the nearby vicinity, well its hard to break in as a top school when two schools within 50 miles are in the top 20.

LiquidJames

New

Post by LiquidJames » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:07 am

i mean exactly i said, in orange county, i, and my fellow classmates at chapman are confident that we will be ranked better than uci, and we are a better school with better profs/students

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:26 am

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LiquidJames

New

Post by LiquidJames » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:32 am

sublime12089 wrote:
LiquidJames wrote:i mean exactly i said, in orange county, i, and my fellow classmates at chapman are confident that we will be ranked better than uci, and we are a better school with better profs/students

You can't be serious. UCI by all indicators has a far superior student body and far superior faculty. Objectively.

Chapman's COA is probably in the top 25 or so, while having an employment score of 33.7% http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=chapman

I don't know if even Dr Dre would argue that UCI is worse than Chapman. There is no possible way, looking at the USNWR methodology that they will be ranked lower than Chapman's 126 either.
well, the ranking weights "reputation" heavily, what reputation does UCI have? however, chapman's reputation among lawyers/judges are exceptional, we are known as the best school in OC DA's office

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:36 am

LiquidJames

New

Post by LiquidJames » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:40 am

well, outside california, how many lawyers/judges even know of UCI? probably a 0 for many of them, and i believe it weighs 40% for ranking purposes?

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:43 am

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LiquidJames

New

Post by LiquidJames » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:48 am

well, comparing chapman to UCI (where people have to put down "don't know" for reputation), sure feels like comparing BU/BC to new england law, a school no one knows about

UCI will be lucky to get what, 1.5 on reputation? and chapman's will for certain to increase, don't forget, chapman did break top 100 not too long ago

ammanley

New

Post by ammanley » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:58 am

Paging Dr. Dre, doctor are you in.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:59 am

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:00 am

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LiquidJames

New

Post by LiquidJames » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:01 am

if you are unable to stay civil in the debate, which is not surprising, then i shall not continue

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:08 am

ChaseInk

New

Post by ChaseInk » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:53 am

LiquidJames wrote:i mean exactly i said, in orange county, i, and my fellow classmates at chapman are confident that we will be ranked better than uci, and we are a better school with better profs/students
You're delusional. It's cute that you guys over at Chapman feel like you're in competition with us. You're not even on our radar (except for when we beat you at the OC Games last year).
Last edited by ChaseInk on Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

ChaseInk

New

Post by ChaseInk » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:57 am

LiquidJames wrote:well, outside california, how many lawyers/judges even know of UCI? probably a 0 for many of them, and i believe it weighs 40% for ranking purposes?
Judges? Well...

How many Chapman 2012 grads had clerkships? 0 (http://www.chapman.edu/law/careers/empl ... stics.aspx)
How many UCI 2012 grads had clerkships? 21 have 25 clerkships.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:39 am

ChaseInk wrote:
You're delusional. It's cute that you guys over at Chapman feel like you're in competition with us. You're not even on our radar (except for when we beat you at the OC Games last year).

UCI is TTTT

quit embarrassing yourself

ChaseInk

New

Post by ChaseInk » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:51 am

Dr. Dre wrote:
ChaseInk wrote:

UCI is TTTT

quit embarrassing yourself
Why aren't we TTTTT?

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:53 am

ChaseInk wrote:
Why aren't we TTTTT?

lol

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:59 am

=

Chemerinsky is like Obama: makes so many promises, and doesn't really accomplish em'

Just you watch, you little UCI enthusiasts, boasting X percentage of clerkship and that Brian LieTTTer lauded us... you'll see that the promises made were just — words.

Dre, signing off — for now.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

fredmerz

New

Post by fredmerz » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:26 am

lawschoolsoldier wrote:
That's not the only reason and I think the access you have to the faculty at UCI is different than the other T20 schools (and comparing them to T-20 schools is quite a compliment, no?).

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:10 pm

ChaseInk wrote:
Don't feed the troll.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:15 pm

ChaseInk wrote:
LiquidJames wrote:well, outside california, how many lawyers/judges even know of UCI? probably a 0 for many of them, and i believe it weighs 40% for ranking purposes?
Judges? Well...

How many Chapman 2012 grads had clerkships? 0 (http://www.chapman.edu/law/careers/empl ... stics.aspx)
How many UCI 2012 grads had clerkships? 21 have 25 clerkships.
http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 1&t=208349

Just ignore the Chapman admissions officer.

I wouldn't go to Chapman with a full ride.

gitguy

Bronze

Post by gitguy » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:17 pm

I'm perturbed as to why anyone here actually care what Dr. Dre thinks. Also, I turned down a full ride at Chapman to defer with UCI. That was based on hearing from several people who are doing judicial clerks that federal judges have no desire to hire Chapman grads.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”