Political leanings at Duke?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
yeahboiii

Political leanings at Duke?

Postby yeahboiii » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:11 pm

Anybody have general comments on where Duke stands politically? Students and faculty, general law school atmosphere. I've gotten a lot of "I heard it's liberal because it's in Durham" or "I heard they're conservative because they're southern" but nothing very sound. Did anybody have general impressions when visiting and/or talking to students?

TripTrip

Re: Political leanings at Duke?

Postby TripTrip » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:15 pm

Don't choose a law school based on political leanings.

All of the T20 lean slightly left. </thread>

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:33 pm

Higher education in general leans left. The faculty at all law schools everywhere (except the nutso schools like Liberty and Ave Maria) are probably going to be about the same: largely liberal, but some conservatives, and all intelligent; not retard tea partiers or derpy tree-sitters. The student body at Duke is probably less liberal than the student body at NYU, but overall still liberal compared to the US or North Carolina in general. Even the liberal schools are likely going to have solid FedSoc participation and a respectful atmosphere for all but the most extreme positions. (Don't walk around wearing a Westboro Baptist t-shirt, for example.)

Don't pick your school according the political ideology. Law school isn't going to indoctrinate you, although you may find you question your own opinions more after learning from people who are way, way smarter and more knowledgeable than you are. (And that goes either way.)

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:38 pm

TripTrip wrote:Don't choose a law school based on political leanings.

All of the T20 lean slightly left. </thread>

-Chi

GMGP

Postby GMGP » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:03 pm

We do have a very strong and vocal Federalist Society, but for the most part Duke leans liberal. Compared to my undergrad I have found people to be much more tolerant.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:21 pm

These topics need to stop.

yeahboiii

Postby yeahboiii » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:29 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:These topics need to stop.

I thinkkk it's natural to want to be around people who you know you're going to get along with, who you can have genuine discussions with even if you disagree ideologically. It's condescending to think someone would go to a law school just because they're labelled "liberal" or "conservative," but the student environment is a really big part of law school, and if you want to be happy and do well it's something that should be taken into consideration.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:34 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:These topics need to stop.

Agreed.

Off topic but its interesting that so many people are asking about Duke in these choosing threads. Duke is usually the Forgotten One on TLS.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:37 pm

Seems like Duke is throwing around pretty big money this cycle though

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:37 pm

yeahboiii wrote:I thinkkk it's natural to want to be around people who you know you're going to get along with, who you can have genuine discussions with even if you disagree ideologically.

Then why does it matter which way a school "leans"?

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:43 pm

sinfiery wrote:Seems like Duke is throwing around pretty big money this cycle though

I thought maybe that was it, although I think they have always been one of the more generous in the T14 and Cornell and NU haven't been slouches in that department. Was thinking maybe it also had something to do with such strong showings in clerkship+big law for the past two years so people aren't ignoring them as much as in the past.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:46 pm

BigZuck wrote:
sinfiery wrote:Seems like Duke is throwing around pretty big money this cycle though

I thought maybe that was it, although I think they have always been one of the more generous in the T14 and Cornell and NU haven't been slouches in that department. Was thinking maybe it also had something to do with such strong showings in clerkship+big law for the past two years so people aren't ignoring them as much as in the past.

Yeah, their employment statistics have been rather strong + the small class size is always nice. Not sure why they aren't as popular, maybe also a combination of ranking and location.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:51 pm

sinfiery wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

Yeah, their employment statistics have been rather strong + the small class size is always nice. Not sure why they aren't as popular, maybe also a combination of ranking and location.

I think it's that for the most part they are splitter unfriendly and they are located in the South, which makes people question how "conservative" (aka ignorant, racist, and intolerant) they are.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:24 pm

BigZuck wrote:I think it's that for the most part they are splitter unfriendly and they are located in the South, which makes people question how "conservative" (aka ignorant, racist, and intolerant) they are.

Haha, yep on the south location. You see it a few times on TLS and that sentiment probably carries more weight to individuals deciding not on TLS

star fox

Postby star fox » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:14 pm

BigZuck wrote:
sinfiery wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

I think it's that for the most part they are splitter unfriendly and they are located in the South, which makes people question how "conservative" (aka ignorant, racist, and intolerant) they are.

What about the fact that they lack a major home market like Berekely (LA/SF), Northwestern (Chicago), Penn (Philadelphia), Cornell (NY), Georgetown (DC)

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Michigan is way more popular than Duke on this site. I don't think lack of market really has much to do with it.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:19 pm

BigZuck wrote:Michigan is way more popular than Duke on this site. I don't think lack of market really has much to do with it.

I think it's because of this ridiculously common ordering:
YSH
CCN
PVBM
NDCG

Although I guess that doesn't explain the TLS fetish with NU.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:22 pm

TripTrip wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Michigan is way more popular than Duke on this site. I don't think lack of market really has much to do with it.

YSH
CCN
PVBM
NDCG

Schools that are popular on TLS relative to their employment numbers are the splitter friendly schools.

UtilityMonster

Postby UtilityMonster » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:24 pm

Duke is definitely left of center, the professors more so and the students less so.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:26 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
TripTrip wrote:

YSH
CCN
PVBM
NDCG

Schools that are popular on TLS relative to their employment numbers are the splitter friendly schools.

Intuitively that makes sense, but is Duke really more splitter friendly that its peers?

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:31 pm

TripTrip wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:
TripTrip wrote:

YSH
CCN
PVBM
NDCG

Intuitively that makes sense, but is Duke really more splitter friendly that its peers?

No, it's much less, hence much less popular

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:34 pm

And NU has a very low GPA floor relative to the T14 so they get a lot of love for that. + Outperforming (less this year) their rank in the NLJ

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:34 pm

BigZuck wrote:No, it's much less, hence much less popular

Ah. I'm an idiot. Thank you.

jym_dawg

Postby jym_dawg » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:35 pm

BigZuck wrote:
sinfiery wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

lol wat. Is this actually a thing?

GMGP

Postby GMGP » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:16 pm

sinfiery wrote:
BigZuck wrote:I think it's that for the most part they are splitter unfriendly and they are located in the South, which makes people question how "conservative" (aka ignorant, racist, and intolerant) they are.

Haha, yep on the south location. You see it a few times on TLS and that sentiment probably carries more weight to individuals deciding not on TLS

My pet peeve. Just cause it's the south doesn't mean that we are all racist rednecks. Anyone on TLS who posts otherwise really needs to visit the Triangle area.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”