Emory (54k), BU (45k), FSU In-state(25k)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Emory (54k), BU (45k), FSU In-state (25k)

Emory (54k)
8
40%
BU (45K)
9
45%
FSU In-State (25k)
1
5%
GW off WL (Sticker)
1
5%
GW off WL (~45k)
1
5%
 
Total votes: 20

User avatar
viscous-biscuits
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:11 am

Emory (54k), BU (45k), FSU In-state(25k)

Postby viscous-biscuits » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:28 am

Hey all, I'm in need of some guidance here.

Emory's tuition is 48k, BU's is 46k, and FSU In-State is 20k. GW is around 48k as well I believe.

I would like to do either tax or healthcare law, maybe IP but I don't have a science background so I doubt that would work out. I would like to end up in NY within 10 years after graduating.

I'm a white guy with 3.86/161 and decent softs. I'm retaking in June for some more $$/ off the WL at GW with comparable $$ if I do well enough. I'm shooting for 167, probably landing around 165.

I just visited Emory this weekend, and I visited BU in March. I was leaning towards BU more because I'd rather end up in Boston than Atlanta immediately after graduating, but ATL and Emory have grown on me since I visited. The campus is beautiful and Freer is a hell of a speaker. My roommate will be a biomed engineer PhD student at G-Tech at the same time as I'd be at Emory and the TI:GER program is also tempting, but again my non-science background is giving me qualms.

I received an email from FSU (I'm in-state) awarding me an 8k annual scholarship on top of the 1k I already squeezed out of them this past Friday, and I have to accept by tomorrow. I already plan on throwing down seat deposits for BU and Emory. I wasn't really taking FSU too seriously but ~36k in tuition debt from a T50 after three years is tempting, despite the restriction to FL. Their 2012 ABA employment numbers aren't god awful, especially considering their lack of school funded positions to pad stats like Emory and BU. Then again, I'd also like to be in NY within 10 years.

My parents are generous enough to cover COL and most interest on the tuition, so it's pretty straightforward as far as cost goes.

Any insight outside of reapply/t-14 or kill self would be greatly appreciated :) thanks gents

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2737
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Emory (54k), BU (45k), FSU In-state(25k)

Postby TripTrip » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:57 am

viscous-biscuits wrote:Emory's tuition is 48k, BU's is 46k, and FSU In-State is 20k. GW is around 48k as well I believe.
What are these numbers? This is your estimated total COA based on the schools and scholarship you provided:
GW: $278,444
BU: $225,915
Emory: $259,887
FSU: $106,809


viscous-biscuits wrote:I would like to end up in NY within 10 years after graduating.
You don't lateral into NY. You start there and lateral out. And if you do lateral in, you definitely don't do it from the schools you mentioned.

viscous-biscuits wrote:I'm a white guy with 3.86/161
Retake and reapply next cycle with a 170, get T14.

viscous-biscuits wrote:I'd rather end up in Boston than Atlanta immediately after graduating
Do you have ties to either area? It sounds like you're from Florida.

viscous-biscuits wrote:I received an email from FSU (I'm in-state) awarding me an 8k annual scholarship on top of the 1k I already squeezed out of them this past Friday, and I have to accept by tomorrow.
Don't. FSU is not worth $30,000 tuition.

viscous-biscuits wrote:I wasn't really taking FSU too seriously but ~36k in tuition debt from a T50 after three years is tempting, despite the restriction to FL. Their 2012 ABA employment numbers aren't god awful, especially considering their lack of school funded positions to pad stats like Emory and BU.
Debatable.

viscous-biscuits wrote:reapply/t-14
TCR

User avatar
viscous-biscuits
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:11 am

Re: Emory (54k), BU (45k), FSU In-state(25k)

Postby viscous-biscuits » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:46 pm

TripTrip wrote:
viscous-biscuits wrote:Emory's tuition is 48k, BU's is 46k, and FSU In-State is 20k. GW is around 48k as well I believe.
What are these numbers? This is your estimated total COA based on the schools and scholarship you provided:
GW: $278,444
BU: $225,915
Emory: $259,887
FSU: $106,809


viscous-biscuits wrote:I would like to end up in NY within 10 years after graduating.
You don't lateral into NY. You start there and lateral out. And if you do lateral in, you definitely don't do it from the schools you mentioned.

viscous-biscuits wrote:I'm a white guy with 3.86/161
Retake and reapply next cycle with a 170, get T14.

viscous-biscuits wrote:I'd rather end up in Boston than Atlanta immediately after graduating
Do you have ties to either area? It sounds like you're from Florida.

viscous-biscuits wrote:I received an email from FSU (I'm in-state) awarding me an 8k annual scholarship on top of the 1k I already squeezed out of them this past Friday, and I have to accept by tomorrow.
Don't. FSU is not worth $30,000 tuition.

viscous-biscuits wrote:I wasn't really taking FSU too seriously but ~36k in tuition debt from a T50 after three years is tempting, despite the restriction to FL. Their 2012 ABA employment numbers aren't god awful, especially considering their lack of school funded positions to pad stats like Emory and BU.
Debatable.

viscous-biscuits wrote:reapply/t-14
TCR


Lol, thanks trip. If I get a 170 you bet your ass I'm reapplying, but all things considered I'd like a decision within these options.

Those COA numbers don't reflect the debt I would be taking on personally, I only have to worry about tuition over three years including annual increases minus the scholarships listed. My parents are generous enough to pay for everything within the 3 years and I'm repaying them the cost of tuition at 0% interest.

I don't have ties to Boston, I have relatives in GA. An Emory alum gave me the contact info of a friend of his who's a partner at a Tax boutique in ATL, but I doubt that's relevant. I'm still preferring the NE lifestyle to the ole'south anyway. I'm a sweaty fuck and I enjoy winter, even if it's for ten months out of the year.

Your points about lateraling into NY and FSU's value/employment numbers are very helpful as well.

User avatar
isuperserial
Posts: 519
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:49 pm

Re: Emory (54k), BU (45k), FSU In-state(25k)

Postby isuperserial » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:55 pm

Retake. Your LSAT does not do your GPA justice.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2737
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Emory (54k), BU (45k), FSU In-state(25k)

Postby TripTrip » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:59 pm

If you are totally cool with spending your parent's money, Emory's not bad. You would most likely be looking at either Atlanta or Florida to practice.

isuperserial wrote:Retake. Your LSAT does not do your GPA justice.
OP is retaking

User avatar
viscous-biscuits
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:11 am

Re: Emory (54k), BU (45k), FSU In-state(25k)

Postby viscous-biscuits » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:56 pm

Thanks trip. So you're basically saying that ny from BU is a fool's errand and that Emory/atl is the best of my options as of right now?

PRgradBYU
Posts: 1419
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: Emory (54k), BU (45k), FSU In-state(25k)

Postby PRgradBYU » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:09 pm

viscous-biscuits wrote:So you're basically saying that ny from BU is a fool's errand and that Emory/atl is the best of my options as of right now?


I think Trip is actually saying that RETAKING is the best of your current options right now. Your second best option is Emory/ATL.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2737
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Emory (54k), BU (45k), FSU In-state(25k)

Postby TripTrip » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:11 pm

viscous-biscuits wrote:Thanks trip. So you're basically saying that ny from BU is a fool's errand and that Emory/atl is the best of my options as of right now?

Emory's employment stats are a bit better than BU's, and you have ties to Atlanta and Florida, where Emory sends its grads. Between those two, yeah Emory is the better option.

User avatar
isuperserial
Posts: 519
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:49 pm

Re: Emory (54k), BU (45k), FSU In-state(25k)

Postby isuperserial » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:41 pm

TripTrip wrote:If you are totally cool with spending your parent's money, Emory's not bad. You would most likely be looking at either Atlanta or Florida to practice.

isuperserial wrote:Retake. Your LSAT does not do your GPA justice.
OP is retaking


Oh yeah, you're right. My bad.

User avatar
viscous-biscuits
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:11 am

Re: Emory (54k), BU (45k), FSU In-state(25k)

Postby viscous-biscuits » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:29 pm

Obviously, retaking and drastically altering this situation is my primary goal. I just want to know about these options to save a little green on seat deposits.

You make a good case for Emory. I was unsure how much ties play into job prospects. I always heard that Boston is better for NY than Emory, but I figure IF I did well enough at Boston (Top 15%?) to get to NY I could get there from Emory at that same rank.

I'd like to save 1k on seat deposits from Boston, but the poll results are making me question writing it off so quickly. I wish their first deposit deadline wasn't tomorrow :/

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2737
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Emory (54k), BU (45k), FSU In-state(25k)

Postby TripTrip » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:35 pm

viscous-biscuits wrote:I'd like to save 1k on seat deposits from Boston, but the poll results are making me question writing it off so quickly.
Don't let five random dudes push you into dropping $1k on a seat deposit to school you're not going to attend.

fwiw I didn't even vote in the poll because there's no "reapply" option.

User avatar
viscous-biscuits
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:11 am

Re: Emory (54k), BU (45k), FSU In-state(25k)

Postby viscous-biscuits » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:53 pm

Ha well it's my desire for the NE in conjunction with five random dudes, but either way I think Emory alone is the best choice at this point for a seat deposit.

I figure if I hit 165 or below I'll probably stick with Emory whether or not they decide to bump up the $, and 166+ I'll go ahead and reapply.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2737
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Emory (54k), BU (45k), FSU In-state(25k)

Postby TripTrip » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:12 pm

viscous-biscuits wrote:I figure if I hit 165 or below I'll probably stick with Emory whether or not they decide to bump up the $, and I'll work hard to get 166+ 170+ and I'll go ahead and reapply.
:)

User avatar
viscous-biscuits
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:11 am

Re: Emory (54k), BU (45k), FSU In-state(25k)

Postby viscous-biscuits » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:53 am

TripTrip wrote:
viscous-biscuits wrote:I figure if I hit 165 or below I'll probably stick with Emory whether or not they decide to bump up the $, and I'll work hard to get 166+ 170+ and I'll go ahead and reapply.
:)

TCR

bigredforlaw
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:57 pm

Re: Emory (54k), BU (45k), FSU In-state(25k)

Postby bigredforlaw » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:12 pm

I suggest going to Emory. If you're interested in IP, Holbrook is an incredible professor and has excellent connections he may be willing to use for you, if you do well in his classes. Many Emory students are interested in going to NY (but straight after graduation) and those who were at least in the top third of their class did very well in the Emory in NY OCI program. Atlanta also has a small but active IP community where Emory really stands out. HOWEVER, if you get into GW w/ any money at all I suggest going there. If you're from Florida and go to school in Atlanta you will need significant ties in NY to get a job there if you don't have top grades. PM me if you have questions.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests